Phuket’s Crime-Free Project Nabs Over 1,000 Foreigners for Visa Overstay 

webfact

2 hours ago, bradiston said:

Yet anothe totally bs article.

"Among them, 391 individuals were not staying at their reported accommodations, and 228 had already departed Thailand. Furthermore, 331 tourists had submitted requests to extend their visas, while 109 were reported to have passed away."

This list totals 1059. 109 died already? Ye gods, the mind boggles. 228 already left? So what are they doing in the overstayers database? 331 are in the process of extending their visas, and 391 weren't staying where they said they were. That is meaningless in terms of overstay. Just how old and accurate is their data?

So, out of this total, only 9 were singled out for prosecution based on overstay. So can we rewrite this hysterical headline to reflect that?

As own 2 properties one in Bangkok and the other in Pattaya I change my address 5 or 6 times every year without notifying the Jomtien Immigration Office. What is the penalty for this serious breach of Immigration rules. Also as I always use an agent would this keep me free from inspections.

2 hours ago, youngster30uk said:

Didnt think the Chinese were coming as much as before, I thought Phuket was more like little Russia nowadays?

Last time I was there , was walking at night, and it looked like a third rate Russian movie.  Kinda weird.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Guderian said:

It would be interesting to see a breakdown by nationality. How many of them are young Russians avoiding Putin's draft but running out of legal options to stay in Thailand? How many are Chinese crims operating dodgy schemes intended to defraud their fellow countrymen? I doubt that many of them are Westerners, but I'd like to see the data to prove or disprove that assumption.

You can understand Ivan with the long face not wanting to return to the motherland, where a tin hat and a rifle awaits him. Overstay or canon-fodder, I know which I'd choose.

• Thumbs Up 1

Based on story headlines "

overstays "  391 not staying at location,  regardless this is construed as overstayed? 228 had already departed that's considered overstayed!  331 had already requested their overstay,  still consider?

Now 109 already die that's a overstayed.

This is news! 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, thailand49 said:

Based on story headlines "

overstays "  391 not staying at location,  regardless this is construed as overstayed? 228 had already departed that's considered overstayed!  331 had already requested their overstay,  still consider?

Now 109 already die that's a overstayed.

This is news! 

Statisticians justifying their existence!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, berrec said:

Where's the big PowerPoint presentation with all the smiling BIB's in front of it?

I miss the days of charts and the flow of how they caught the lawbreakers.

And don't forget the "Pointing Finger" without which no story of  lawbreakers/overstayers is complete! ????

9 hours ago, webfact said:

From May 1 to May 25, Immigration Police conducted raids on 1,550 targeted locations across Phuket, resulting in the arrest of 11 individuals who had overstayed their visas and an additional four people who had entered Thailand illegally.

Their targeting or profiling seems to be way off if they need to raid a whopping 1,550 locations to arrest 15 wrongdoers.

10 hours ago, Bim Smith said:

And Ukrainians. They dragging them off the streets as young as 16. 

The difference being of course that the young Ukrainians are defending their own country from invasion by their essentially fascist neighbour, while the young Russians are being asked to go fight, kill and die in a pointless war they don't understand.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, natway09 said:

They worked out how to push the buttons & get some data.

They might just have 1,000 Russians to handle soon or will this Govt give them amnesty ?

I don't understand the obsession with Russians. People seem to think they're all draft dodgers and are on overstay, or will be soon. Why?

The disparate nature of the datasets is revealing. There are deceased, those already gone, the disappeared, and the subjects of extension applications. But how did they build the list of suspected overstayers? That their queries returned 107 deceased suggests it wasn't from a very reliable source. Maybe they were just blindly putting in lists of foreigners they couldn't trace, and seeing what came up. There must be 1000s more if this is anything to go by. Utterly bizarre. Have they any clue at all who or what or where anybody is? No chance.

10 hours ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

In the end, only 11 people were arrested for overstaying their visas.

While 109 have died!

This means that over 10% of people visiting Thailand and discovered to have overstayed their visa ... DIE!

I'd like to see TAT spin that!

"228 had already departed Thailand. Furthermore, 331 tourists had submitted requests to extend their visas, while 109 were reported to have passed away"

Great that they discovered all these overstayers... 

2 minutes ago, Muhendis said:

Database not being maintained 

Agreed, but what's it a database of? If it's an immigration database, somebody has taken the trouble to input details of a subjects death. Where did they get those details from? Medical records? And what point do you start from to retrieve these records? A list of names? Passport numbers? Where does that list come from?