I'm recently having a lot of aches and pains in my body

ubonr1971

Im in my 50s and having a lot of aches and pains. Im doing moderate exercise everyday. Last week maybe I pushed it too hard doing morning and night bench press. First time Ive ever done for a few days and then had massive muscle pain in upper left shoulder. 

Doing some gardening today I have sore knee. Really painful. 

3 weeks ago sore back when bending over to get something from the car

Is this just old age sh&t or could I be deficient in some vitamins? I have copper and zinc deficiency and taking supplements specficially for 3 months now. Feel really good apart from my old body pains. Is this all normal?

thanks

• Confused 2

There are certain exercises that I find can give more than normal stress to joints. Two are bench press and tricep push ups with the horizontal bars. Will of course be worse if going too hard. Maybe do bench either inclined or declined or a good option is push ups instead or swimming. 

Edited by Fat is a type of crazy

the unfortunate thing about weight lifting is that there is always the risk of muscle aches and injury.

magnesium relaxes the muscles, so it may help. food is always better than supplements. 

and maybe limit lifting weights to 2 days per week to give your body ample time to recover between workouts.

• Like 1

I agree with posters above here Lay off the heavy stuff and get into a more gentle exercise mode. Yoga, Tai Chi, Qigong, walking and swimming are all good stuff. And make sure that you drink enough water or other (non alcoholic) drinks. Dehydration can bring on muscle aches.

Personally, I do an hour's walk every day and I practice Qigong for an hour per day (2 half hour sessions). And I'd suggest a weekly Traditional Thai Massage as well. It's great for giving a myofascial release. (If you don't know what that is, look it up)

And never, never say you're getting old! I'm 77 years young. No aches or pains and no illness's. In your 50s you're still young.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

29 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

I agree with posters above here Lay off the heavy stuff and get into a more gentle exercise mode. Yoga, Tai Chi, Qigong, walking and swimming are all good stuff. And make sure that you drink enough water or other (non alcoholic) drinks. Dehydration can bring on muscle aches.

Personally, I do an hour's walk every day and I practice Qigong for an hour per day (2 half hour sessions). And I'd suggest a weekly Traditional Thai Massage as well. It's great for giving a myofascial release. (If you don't know what that is, look it up)

And never, never say you're getting old! I'm 77 years young. No aches or pains and no illness's. In your 50s you're still young.

Moonlover,  if your 77 you need to seriously consider assistance in the years that follow,  geezzee  your 77 FGS so take steps to get care soon.  Plenty of homes that will look after you. Check old-care and others.

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1

Im mid-50s and do heavy powerlifting 3x per week plus cardio.. but I've been doing some form of resistance training for a long time and my body is used to it. Either your body is just not used to such exercise and you need to get into it slowly scaling up gradually or you have some medical issue. 50s is not yet the time to slow down unless you have specific medical problems. Maintaining muscle mass an strength is important and just gentle stuff like yoga (which I do as well) is not enough

• Like 2

1 hour ago, steven100 said:

Moonlover,  if your 77 you need to seriously consider assistance in the years that follow,  geezzee  your 77 FGS so take steps to get care soon.  Plenty of homes that will look after you. Check old-care and others.

I have a nice home and a good wife whose happy to take care of me. I have absolutely no intention of ever going into a care home. But thanks for you kind thoughts.

Edited by Moonlover
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, steven100 said:

i'm older than you....  no aches or pains ....  just have a few beers every day and sleep good.  same tomorrow.

Enjoy until your liver fails.

• Sad 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

Enjoy until your liver fails.

My friend was a beer addict. Had to carry 12.5% beer in backpack if stop drinking immediately have seizures and fall down. Wet Brain is a sad irreversible way to come apart. He was locked up in a facility in the bush living in a  shed like cabin. When he was released 2 years later, he was given a great job, company truck, an Apartment. Sisters fixed everything for him. He immediately wanted to celebrate,  so drove to liquor store and got beer. 12 hours later truck was in accident and he was in hospital. 3 days after he was released my daughter saw him begging outside of liquor store. 10 days later found dead bleed out on his free couch in his free apartment. 

Edited by Dickie Dee
Forgot important point.
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Touch Wood. 

12 minutes ago, Dickie Dee said:

Knee means overweight. In my case Back pain is weight related as well.  March 3 miles per day. It’s cardio. You will see results quickly with aches pains as well as  linear weight loss 

Cardio now? Alot of people do have knee and back problems, and not even close to overweight. 

Stretches to improve Mobility and also strenght training to improve core strenght. 

The older you become, more strenght training to build and maintain muscles is more important than cardio. Walking never hurt anyone, especially in terrain and on beaches.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, bignok said:

Go buy some amino acid powder. Take daily.

For what?

Normal exercises and diet, doesnt make you need protein powder of any category, or amino acids

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, bignok said:

Have you tried amino acid powder?

I have when I exercised 6 days a week, yes I used protein powder, and for some time tried amino acids tablets, for me know, just maintenance lifting, I eat normal healthy balanced diet, and thats enough. Waste of money, if you do not have any digestive problems, or vegan or vegetarian 

Edited by Hummin
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Hummin said:

I have when I exercised 6 days a week, yes, for me know, just maintenance lifting, I eat normal healthy balanced diet, and thats enough. Waste of money, if you do not have any digestive problems, or vegan or vegetarian 

Not imo. Ive tried a few different ones and found a difference with quality ones. More energy, faster muscle recovery. 

1 minute ago, bignok said:

Not imo. Ive tried a few different ones and found a difference with quality ones. More energy, faster muscle recovery. 

Okay, you feel it, because you believe it! 

Just now, Hummin said:

Okay, you feel it, because you believe it! 

Wrong. Ive tried some and no benefit. It is the ingredients not placebo. Some have more than others plus extra ingredients. Actually hard to get lots of amino acids from normal diet without eating lots of beef and eggs and your body breaks it down more slowly.