I'm recently having a lot of aches and pains in my body

ubonr1971

3 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Coconut water is good enough and quite handy everywhere in Thailand. Salt is enough in food 

Coconut water is naturally low in calories and sugar yet rich in electrolytes like potassium and magnesium

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/electrolytes-drinks

Yes coconut is good. Cacao also has iron and protein. Take both for better health. 

1 hour ago, Hummin said:

Please back up your claim on 1,6 - 2gr pr bodyweight. 

And by the way, is that lean body weight or total body weight? Somebody who is 180cm can be 75kg bodyweight lean and muscular, while another can be 100kg fat and little muscles at all.

Look to the work of Drs Andrew Huberman, Andy Galpin, Don Layman and Peter Attia. Their recommendations are for 1.6 to 2 gm per kg of total body weight. They also recommend animal or whey protein, not just plant protein, as animal/whey is more accessible and has the key amino acid of leucine.

All state that because muscle mass and strength correlate with lower levels of all cause mortality, and as one ages protein utilization is less efficient, more protein is needed to maintain muscle mass.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, Walker88 said:

Look to the work of Drs Andrew Huberman, Andy Galpin, Don Layman and Peter Attia. Their recommendations are for 1.6 to 2 gm per kg of total body weight. They also recommend animal or whey protein, not just plant protein, as animal/whey is more accessible and has the key amino acid of leucine.

All state that because muscle mass and strength correlate with lower levels of all cause mortality, and as one ages protein utilization is less efficient, more protein is needed to maintain muscle mass.

I would and sure more than me would like to see valid a link provided by you. 

You can also read this as well

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8068133/

Just now, TimeMachine said:

You can try test injections and anabol tabs. Helps my old body. At your own risk. I take the risk and see reward.

Bloodwork is a good start, can be many things that causes joint pain and aches and body pain.

Uric acid is one hell of a pain and I had to stop eating chicken unfortunate because of it. 

But yes, hormones can be one solution for some. 

10 hours ago, Hummin said:

Coconut water is a great electrolyte drink, and no bull pie ????

Agreed, I was talking about the glitzy branded electrolytes designed to separate fools from their money.

3 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Agreed, I was talking about the glitzy branded electrolytes designed to separate fools from their money.

Unfortunately I am one of those fools that can't stand the foul rotten taste of cocnut. Gatorade is the nectar of the gods.

• Haha 1

On 6/1/2023 at 6:19 PM, ubonr1971 said:

Last week maybe I pushed it too hard doing morning and night bench press.

You did bench press in the morning and night?  Resistance training is not the same as cardio.  You need to have adequate rest between sessions.  You basically damage your muscles microscopically each time you lift weights (or that is the intention at least) and then they repair stronger.  So after a session, you should be resting that muscle/muscle group for a number of days.

Many people using weights to gain mass only work one muscle group per week, or at least wait until there is no pain or soreness and the muscle has completely recovered.

Aches and pains from training the same muscle twice in one day seems expected.

1 hour ago, TimeMachine said:

Unfortunately I am one of those fools that can't stand the foul rotten taste of cocnut. Gatorade is the nectar of the gods.

You think it is nectar because Gatorade is 6% sugar. You're in training for Type 2 diabetes.

11 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

You think it is nectar because Gatorade is 6% sugar. You're in training for Type 2 diabetes.

Agreed, sugar is evil, wheat is evil . I guess its a fine balance for people. I hate seeing people diet however they want and seem energetic and happy and slim and muscular..  I hate seeing overweight people have more energy than me. Generally I prefer to be in ketosis, but I have my wet periods. Only live once right. And as they say ,to ones own choose a mobile phone. But won't be long before governments dictate what we eat. I've already been dictated what I inject into my bloodstream. 

Edited by TimeMachine

On 6/1/2023 at 9:19 PM, ubonr1971 said:

Is this just old age sh&t or could I be deficient in some vitamins?

I'm in my 60's and used to do light weight training, but recently gave it up due to muscle aches/pains.

I am now pain free, that said, I would suggest you go to a massage place that does the stretching type of massage that I get, not your typical Thai or oil massage, but stretching massage, it's kind of mixed in with Chiropractic as you will hear those cracks and will feel a heck of a lot better after words.

The above said, I would recommend you do stretches in the morning, mid day and evening, I find it keeps me flexible and pain free.

I also like to take a protein powder drink as we need to keep building those muscles as we age, I also take Magnesium, Zink, vitamin D & C and keep a healthy diet.

Try out the stretches as least, but don't overdo it, if it starts to hurt, stop there and move on to the next stretch as we are not as flexible as we used to be.

Resistance exercise 3 times a week and no more ! Give your body chance to recover properly. 

Try swimming, great all around exercise, non weight bearing good for joints and muscles.

Use it or lose it is the simply key to mobility.Get atleast 5000 steps a day.

It can be worth trying a blood test to see if you are suffering from polymyalgia rheumatica .

The disease is treatable using a medicine called prednisolon .

The name polymyalgia rheumatica means large muscle pain .

On 6/1/2023 at 6:34 PM, worgeordie said:

You not old in your 50's , maybe trying too hard to stay young,doing vigorous exercises

is going to leave you with aches and pains for a few days after ,take it easier , I am 77

years old ,do no excise and I am aches and pains ,but thats down to old age I  think

regards worgeordie

Well depends on what kind of life youve led.  Aches and pains normal for me after 50 but havnt been kind to my body, worn my back into an arthritic mess amongst other things.  

71 now but yes I have often pondered on the question:  How am I supposed to feel at my age?

31 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

I'm in my 60's and used to do light weight training, but recently gave it up due to muscle aches/pains.

I am now pain free, that said, I would suggest you go to a massage place that does the stretching type of massage that I get, not your typical Thai or oil massage, but stretching massage, it's kind of mixed in with Chiropractic as you will hear those cracks and will feel a heck of a lot better after words.

The above said, I would recommend you do stretches in the morning, mid day and evening, I find it keeps me flexible and pain free.

I also like to take a protein powder drink as we need to keep building those muscles as we age, I also take Magnesium, Zink, vitamin D & C and keep a healthy diet.

Try out the stretches as least, but don't overdo it, if it starts to hurt, stop there and move on to the next stretch as we are not as flexible as we used to be.

What brand of protein powder drink?

I am considering trying one - not for pain (stretches and periodic massage keep that pretty much at bay) but for muscle stiffness that develops overnight and whenever stationary for an hour or more (car ride, etc).

• Like 1

Agreed, sugar is evil, wheat is evil . I guess its a fine balance for people. I hate seeing people diet however they want and seem energetic and happy and slim and muscular..  I hate seeing overweight people have more energy than me. Generally I prefer to be in ketosis, but I have my wet periods. Only live once right. And as they say ,to ones own choose a mobile phone. But won't be long before governments dictate what we eat. I've already been dictated what I inject into my bloodstream. 

I believe markets will dictate what we consume. Surgeons are refusing to operate on patients unless they stop smoking. Airlines are mumbling about pricing tickets according to passenger body mass.

I doubt whether governments will intervene on food. Cigarettes and alcohol are too profitable to be discarded as tax revenue, junk food is what keeps the masses placid.

"Let me have men about me that are fat,
Sleek-headed men and such as sleep a-nights.
Yond Cassius has a lean and hungry look,
He thinks too much; such men are dangerous."

47 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

What brand of protein powder drink?

I also throw in a banana or two (potassium), a some almond milk (unsweetened), add a little water, about 6-12 almonds, then about 14 pieces of ice out of the ice tray.

Tastes mighty nice and chilled, can even put it in the fridge for later if you like.

Ones or twice a day, works out to be cheap enough overall for this kind of drink.

Lazada have a sale on the 6th, so you might be able to pick it up cheaper.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

I also throw in a banana or two (potassium), a some almond milk (unsweetened), add a little water, about 6-12 almonds, then about 14 pieces of ice out of the ice tray.

Tastes mighty nice and chilled, can even put it in the fridge for later if you like.

Ones or twice a day, works out to be cheap enough overall for this kind of drink.

Lazada have a sale on the 6th, so you might be able to pick it up cheaper.

Bananas are high in fructose. Trying to lose weight on a keto or low carb diet diet with bananas in the mix is like trying to bale water with a colander.

Edited by Lacessit
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

Bananas are high in fructose. Trying to lose weight on a keto or low carb diet diet with bananas in the mix is like trying to bale water with a colander.

I suppose with anything, all in moderation.

I remember losing 15kg in 4 months by eating a balance of carbs & proteins and a low fat intake. No exercise, and was water of a ducks back.

One protein shake with a one banana, small almond milk (unsweetened) & 6 almonds, twice a day, e.g. 10am and 4pm, along with 3 meals.

I suppose if you eat a lot of anything, you will put on weight if you go over your caloric intake. I kept my caloric intake pegged at 1500 calories and it worked very well for me. The time before the last time I lost 15kg was by doing cardio and weights and that was painful as one gets older, so if you ask me, the caloric intake reduced way is the better choice and those protein shakes work wonders as a substitute as they keep you full in between and provide you with 30g of protein per shake or 120 calories per serve plus the banana which would take it to about 200 calories.

10 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

I remember losing 15kg in 4 months by eating a balance of carbs & proteins and a low fat intake. No exercise, and was water of a ducks back.

Yeah low fat works well for losing weight, i eat lots of carbs and fruit daily, low fat, stable healthy weight

• Like 1

On 6/1/2023 at 6:19 PM, ubonr1971 said:

Last week maybe I pushed it too hard doing morning and night bench press. First time Ive ever done for a few days and then had massive muscle pain in upper left shoulder.

You visit the gym how many times each day? The general consensus is that your body needs time to recover between workouts. Not hours, but days. Probably more when you age. Try visiting the gym every few days instead. 

Eat unripe bananas. 

You may be right. However, combining the goals of eating healthy while also eating foods I enjoy is a preferable option for me.

If I want potassium, plenty of it in avocados, greens and yoghurt.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, gargamon said:

You visit the gym how many times each day? The general consensus is that your body needs time to recover between workouts. Not hours, but days. Probably more when you age. Try visiting the gym every few days instead. 

if doing high reps almost to failure you can do same muscle groups twice a week, if your workout is about 80% you can do 3 times a week. many do splits and only work out one muscle group once a week or twice, while others do whole body and work same muscle groups three times a week.

in the beginning it is okay to do same muscle group three times a week working high reps for a few months to get built up muscle memory, and keep it about 80% of max performance. 

Muscle soarness is normal for most in the beginning, and also when you have maxed out your workout on a good day, or also when you have not eat, sleep or recovered good enough. 

Drinking alchohol after training in this enviroment after training?  I guess everyone knows the answer to that one. 

Edited by Hummin