Dtac cellular-only sim, anyone?

I was looking for a new sim to replace the soon-to-expire one in my ipad. The last couple of years, I've got a "regular" sim, having both cellular and phone services (signals). Of course the ipad doesn't make phone calls so the phone part of the sim card goes wasted. This week however, looking around on lazada, I saw this dtac sim which apparently carries only cellular signals, which would serve my ipad to a T. The price is also cheaper, 1068 baht, as opposed to the full fledged one, about 1600 baht or so.

Has anyone used this cellular-only sim? Do I understand correctly what it was meant to do? It's advertised in Thai as "unlimited, no speed loss, 15 mbps and good for 1 year, with 5G services." Thank you in advance for any input...

asean.jpg

• Confused 2

If you don't need phone calls (not possible with this SIM) perhaps this would be an alternative. I get speeds up to 150 Mbps with unlimited data for 999 Baht a year. But you should test at your location with a monthly package first. Also your device needs to be be able to use Band 40 otherwise it will not work. 

• Thanks 1

As long as the sim has the speed and amount of data you want it will be fine, doesn't matter if it includes calls or not. Read the reviews, use lens app if all in thai.

I have dtac 60gb unlimited speed sim, next time will get dtac 30mbps unlimited data

• Like 2

5 hours ago, The Fat Controller said:

Cellular means calls.

You need a data-only SIM.

Check which bands your device can use too.

Sorry, yes, I meant data-only (was used to "cellular data" on/off option on the phone). This sim has both 4G and 5G and my ipad can take 4G so I guess I'm good to go. Thanks for the input.

asean2.jpg

5 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

I have dtac 60gb unlimited speed sim, next time will get dtac 30mbps unlimited data

Lazada also has this  dtac 30mbps unlimited sim and the price is close to 2000 baht

Edited by watthong

6 hours ago, Mickeymaus said:

If you don't need phone calls (not possible with this SIM) perhaps this would be an alternative. I get speeds up to 150 Mbps with unlimited data for 999 Baht a year. But you should test at your location with a monthly package first. Also your device needs to be be able to use Band 40 otherwise it will not work. 

Yes, I have read your thread carefully...I live on the 7th floor so that rules this sim out. Thanks for the input and especially the thread.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, watthong said:

Yes, I have read your thread carefully...I live on the 7th floor so that rules this sim out. Thanks for the input and especially the thread.

All SIMs will have problems with higher floors. But it depends on the location. You only can test. This Thunder normally uses the DTAC network. NT rented capacities from AIS and DTAC for their wireless services. 

On 6/2/2023 at 10:24 AM, watthong said:

Sorry, yes, I meant data-only (was used to "cellular data" on/off option on the phone). This sim has both 4G and 5G and my ipad can take 4G so I guess I'm good to go. Thanks for the input.

asean2.jpg

DO NOT buy that product! People are sadly all too willing to cut corners in order to save a few baht; I’m sure totally unnecessarily. 
The telltale sign is the need to install an application in order to get it to work. That’s not a normal offer. Pay the right price in order to obtain the DTAC package that corresponds to your location. 

On 6/2/2023 at 5:03 AM, scubascuba3 said:

As long as the sim has the speed and amount of data you want it will be fine, doesn't matter if it includes calls or not. Read the reviews, use lens app if all in thai.

Not really ????

I haven’t looked at these particular SIMs in detail, but they seem to be linked by use of an application, rather than the usual SIM. That is why they are unusually cheap as compared to the normal price of that product. 
I only noticed because the OP published the T&C. 
There is no doubt you don’t have to use this application; https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mikoto.simspeedup&hl=en&gl=US to utilise data usage from your SIM. 

Edited by NextG

23 minutes ago, NextG said:

Not really ????

I haven’t looked at these particular SIMs in detail, but they seem to be linked by use of an application, rather than the usual SIM. That is why they are unusually cheap as compared to the normal price of that product. 
I only noticed because the OP published the T&C. 
There is no doubt you don’t have to use this application; https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mikoto.simspeedup&hl=en&gl=US to utilise data usage from your SIM. 

Before buying any sim I run Meteor app,it identifies the signal strength of each network available at the point where you are scanning from.

The blue AIS is a connect for DTAC sims

Screenshot_20230603_110253.jpg

Edited by norbra

10 minutes ago, norbra said:

Before buying any sim I run Meteor app,it identifies the signal strength of each network available at the point where you are scanning from

Nothing to do with that at all. It could be these SIM offers are for a particular jurisdiction. Fast speed in one area, restricted in another. 

58 minutes ago, norbra said:

Before buying any sim I run Meteor app,it identifies the signal strength of each network available at the point where you are scanning from.

The blue AIS is a connect for DTAC sims

I just tested the app for speed of my AIS 10mbps sim, doesn't seem as accurate as testmy.net, 11.2 vs 9.7

16 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

I just tested the app for speed of my AIS 10mbps sim, doesn't seem as accurate as testmy.net, 11.2 vs 9.7

Not a great deal of difference,did meteor indicate AIS 4g /5g for your test? Node loads are dynamic so could show in results

Edited by norbra

3 minutes ago, norbra said:

Not a great deal of difference,did meteor indicate AIS 4g /5g for your test?

the app didn't really show it for some reason then i uninstalled. Not much difference i agree but testmy.net seems to be the most accurate way of measuring speed based on my tests

Just now, scubascuba3 said:

the app didn't really show it for some reason then i uninstalled. Not much difference i agree but testmy.net seems to be the most accurate way of measuring speed based on my tests

I recommended Meteor as a tool to identify networks availability and signal strength at a given test point.

37 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

If you check your test results graph testmynet indicates test period average so not best or worst speed.

Meteor probably does the same

Edited by norbra

3 minutes ago, norbra said:

If you check your test results graph testmynet indicates test period average so not best or worst speed

What difference does that make? You want to know what speed you will obtain when downloading/uploading. No good showing a peak of 11.2 and ignoring the 8.2…

2 hours ago, NextG said:

Standard price for DTAC 15 Mbps is 1590 baht. For DTAC 30 Mbps; 1890 baht. 
Don’t be a cheapskate. ???? You will quickly come unstuck if you try that. 

Yesterday I stopped by a dtac store in mall and the price is 1890 for 15mbps.

I've checked on dtac website and found 1600 for 15mbps.

Can you give me a link to the prices you quoted above? I'm interested in "For DTAC 30 Mbps; 1890 baht. "

asean3.jpg

On 6/2/2023 at 10:26 AM, watthong said:

Lazada also has this  dtac 30mbps unlimited sim and the price is close to 2000 baht

Just got this for my son 1890 30mbps unlimited and he is very happy with it as he was paying 25baht a day before for 1mbps on Ais

Also have a NT thunder at home but nowhere near as good but that is up to your location so check before purchasing 1 year .

1 minute ago, kwak250 said:

Just got this for my son 1890 30mbps unlimited and he is very happy with it as he was paying 25baht a day before for 1mbps on

Where did  you get this sim from? on line or dtac store? thanks. I checked dtac website and it shows only 1600 for 15mbps as in pic attached above

3 minutes ago, watthong said:

Yesterday I stopped by a dtac store in mall and the price is 1890 for 15mbps.

I've checked on dtac website and found 1600 for 15mbps.

Can you give me a link to the prices you quoted above? I'm interested in "For DTAC 30 Mbps; 1890 baht. "

asean3.jpg

You can find them all day via Lazada: 

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/a-lot-tech-30mbps-sim-dtac-simnet-i2915192126-s10680347703.html

Have you used DTAC at your location before? You don’t automatically obtain the quoted speeds. It depends on your location. 

Just now, NextG said:

Have you used DTAC at your location before? You don’t automatically obtain the quoted speeds. It depends on your location. 

I for the last year use dtac and was so-so on the level of satisfaction, 15 mbps. That's why I think it would be better at 30mbps...Thanks for the link, btw I just ignored the courier who was going to deliver the app-dependent card that you said NO to! Thanks for the alert.

15 minutes ago, watthong said:

I for the last year use dtac and was so-so on the level of satisfaction, 15 mbps. That's why I think it would be better at 30mbps...Thanks for the link, btw I just ignored the courier who was going to deliver the app-dependent card that you said NO to! Thanks for the alert.

Just in time! Though shame about the courier’s wasted time. I would have at least tipped him before sending him on his way. 

30 Mbps is only better if you can actually obtain 15 Mbps+ at your location in the first place. 
What SIM are you using now? Run a speed test using https://testmy.net/

33 minutes ago, NextG said:

Just in time! Though shame about the courier’s wasted time. I would have at least tipped him before sending him on his way. 

30 Mbps is only better if you can actually obtain 15 Mbps+ at your location in the first place. 
What SIM are you using now? Run a speed test using https://testmy.net/

No courier time was wasted. They always call b4 they come out to make sure you're there to get the item and pay, that's how COD operates (and Lazada doesn't give an order cancellation way out.)

Re speed test, my ipad now has no signal, the sim expired yesterday and quite a number of the apps have to download everytime you can use it. I don't know why, maybe it has to do with an older model ipad? Anyway I remember it was somewhere around 10 mbps last time I checked (on a 15mbps sim.)

On 6/2/2023 at 10:30 AM, watthong said:

I too have the NT Thunder (data only) SIM for 999 baht. Bought it as a back-up in case of fibre failure and for the occasional times we are away from our house or shop. Strong signal at shop but no signal at house which is only 1 km away. My fault for not testing beforehand.   

• Like 1