Passport Renewal in Home Country and Transfer of Current NON-O Marriage Visa

Hello.

I am staying long term in Thailand on a non-o marriage visa.

I am visiting my home country Denmark in September. While visiting Denmark, I will renew my passport, because it expires next year, and I will need a new passport to renew my current visa in January 2024.

Before leaving Thailand, do I need to apply for a re-entry permit, so my current visa won't expire? The reason why I am asking, is because, when I come back from Denmark and arrive in Thailand, Thai immigration will stamp the new passport and not the old one?

Is it then possible to transfer my old visa to the new passport when I am back in Thailand, or should this be done in Denmark before arrival to Thailand?

Anyone with similar experience?

Thank you.

If you have an extension of stay (It is not a Visa) you will need a Re Entry Permit.

When you return you will show Immigration at the airport both of your passports.

You will then have to go to your local Immigration Office to transfer Immigration information to your new passport.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Fruit4Life said:

I am staying long term in Thailand on a non-o marriage visa

Just to clarify. 

You have extension of permission of stay from non O? 

If so you need to obtain a reentry permit to keep you extension valid.

Just travel back to Thailand with both passports.

The io will want to see your reentry permit. 

• Thumbs Up 1

23 minutes ago, Fruit4Life said:

I have a extended non O visa that expires February 2024. I renew/extend my non O every year

Good.

Don't forget to purchase reentry permit TM87 form.

You can obtain at immigration office or just purchase at airport.

For BKK airport the permit office is Zone 2 left side after security check and BEFORE passport control. 

The provide a service to do the form and picture for 200b or you can do it yourself.

Reentry permit is 1000b single or

3800b multiple

@DrJack54thank you, very good info. Yes, I tried the re-entry permit before in the Airport in BKK. I was just not sure I needed one, when io will stamp the new passport. But now it has been clarified and I am confident in renewing my passport in my home country, which is a fraction of the cost compared to what the embassy requires here In Thailand. ????

• Thumbs Up 1

I have just done the same,came back with a reentry permit,went to my imm,office with both passports,have new stamp in my new passport,they asked if i wanted to keep my old passport,kept it could come in handy if you loose your new one,,

Edited by grego49

21 minutes ago, grego49 said:

I have just done the same,came back with a reentry permit,went to my imm,office with both passports,have new stamp in my new passport,they asked if i wanted to keep my old passport,kept it could come in handy if you loose your new one,,

Your old passport was almost certainly cancelled when your new one was issued, meaning that it could not, in fact, be used in lieu of the new passport if lost! 

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

Don't forget to purchase reentry permit TM87 form.

Of course, you mean the TM8 form. I know this is a simple typo, but worth correcting to avoid confusing the less well informed.

4 hours ago, OJAS said:

Your old passport was almost certainly cancelled when your new one was issued, meaning that it could not, in fact, be used in lieu of the new passport if lost! 

Yes of course it has been cancelled,keeping just for identification purposes.