Sealing a tiled house roof.

JeffersLos

13 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Are you wanting to fix it yourself?

No, but I want to know what's needed, and how it should be done, instead of just letting a crew of Thais come and say it needs this, this, this and this, and then do it all in a manner that I don't know of. 

So at the moment I'm looking at the options of sealing tape. A sealing substance. Replacing tiles. etc.

There is nothing wrong with the construction - the camera angle deceives.

We have a 40+ year-old house with the same roof.

I repaired a few holes (sun light from the inside) that had obviously been there from the build - holes for fixings in the wrong place mostly. PU sealant from the inside sorted those (I wasn't going to clamber on the roof as they get brittle with age), and the more serious holes that dropped water onto the ceiling tiles enough to be seen (luckily not high up) I covered with what the locals use and call gao kee maa (literally dog-<deleted> glue) or PU sealant.

The obviously misaligned tile letting in light down it's length can probably be sealed with PU if not a large gap.

While up there, I fitted some 4m rolls of silver foil encased fiberglass insulation, which made a hell of a difference to room temperatures, to the point of not needing air-con, apart from maybe April/May this year.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NotEinstein said:

repaired a few holes (sun light from the inside) that had obviously been there from the build - holes for fixings in the wrong place mostly. PU sealant from the inside sorted those (I wasn't going to clamber on the roof as they get brittle with age), and the more serious holes that dropped water onto the ceiling tiles enough to be seen (luckily not high up) I covered with what the locals use and call gao kee maa (literally dog-<deleted> glue) or PU sealant.

The obviously misaligned tile letting in light down it's length can probably be sealed with PU if not a large gap.

Thanks. That could be the first course of action.

Me going up in the daytime and trying to seal where any light is coming through.

spacer.png

Is this what you used?

From the inside, clean the area that has light and then seal it with this?

2 minutes ago, JeffersLos said:

Thanks. That could be the first course of action.

Me going up in the daytime and trying to seal where any light is coming through.

spacer.png

Is this what you used?

From the inside, clean the area that has light and then seal it with this?

Yes, even that brand.

Careful with the heat - best do it during early morning as the steel is impossible to hold after 10ish...........

Edited by NotEinstein
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Yellowtail said:

So what would you do if you had a 45-year-old roof that had four or five new leaks? 

Having been an ex-roofer depending on size and costs either fix the leaks easily done with these type of roof sheets or overroof the area with corrugated steel one length sheets and necessary flashings. 

36 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Having been an ex-roofer

So if you used to be an ex-roofer, are you back to being a roofer now? (just kidding) 

depending on size and costs either fix the leaks easily done with these type of roof sheets

What types of sheets? 

or overroof the area with corrugated steel one length sheets and necessary flashings. 

Which is basically a new roof but more expensive and without the tear-off, yes? 

16 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

So if you used to be an ex-roofer, are you back to being a roofer now? (just kidding) 

What types of sheets? 

Which is basically a new roof but more expensive and without the tear-off, yes? 

???? I still dable in roofing helping friends or neighbours with advice. 

The sheets on my house were profiled in aspectos cement the ones you can get now are fibre cement as far as I know, the fixing of types of steel sheet roofing and tile types are used in the main nowadays.

Yes on my house I would over roof it as it would improve aesthetics and insulation and save a great deal on labour costs. 

Edited by Kwasaki