CNS Chief's 'Plan' To Contest The Election

Mid

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's the problem with Sonthi informing us of his options?

His salary as an MP won't be anywhere that number.

He's not informing us. Merely playing with thai psyche...

He would like the people to believe that all options remain on the table...

And he's doing that in a very thai style by creating a real/false "dilemna" based on one leverage highly understood by the whole thai population : money.

Let's remember that this guy is the Chief of Army... and that he led the Coup last september... so he's ipso facto the strong man of Thailand. He's not supposed to be a sales man... but rather a state man.

You really don't see something wrong with his statement ? I'm puzzled.

Do you expect the Chief of Army to think in such manner : I don't know If I will run for elections, because I receive proposal for jobs with high salary ?

Is that a proper idea of political choice ?

Okay I surrender. It matches indeed the average level of thai politics... :o

I'm not surprised that he is tired and considers washing his hands off this thankless job of saving the country.

I doubt that he would take a salaried position either.

What else has he got? Hit a lecture circuit like Thaksin? Buy a piece of land and grow bananas? Become an adviser to some political party?

Thai army chief denies he had decided to contest PM's post

+ - 16:36, August 29, 2007

Thailand's Army Chief Gen. Sonthi Boonyaratklin on Wednesday denied that he had decided to contest the next election for the post of prime minister by leading a political party based in central province of Lop Buri, according to local media.

snip

english.people.com.cn

Edited by Mid

Army Chief affirms political agenda should become clearer following retirement

The Chairman of the Council for National Security believes that his political future will become more apparent once he retires in October.

Army Commander in Chief and Chairman of the Council for National Security Gen. Sonthi Boonyaratglin (สนธิ บุญยรัตกลิน) affirms that his political agendas should become more apparent once he retires from the post of Army Commander in Chief in October. Gen. Sonthi said that he is still considering whether to become involved in politics or business.

When inquired as to whether he would be willing to work for former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra (ทักษิณ ชินวัตร) in a corporate advisory function, Gen. Sonthi jokingly replied that he would have to consider the position's salary first.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 30 August 2007

ARMY POLITICS

Sonthi may see his term extended by six months

WASSANA NANUAM

Saturday September 01, 2007

Army chief Gen Sonthi Boonyaratkalin yesterday intensified speculation about the possibility that his term could be extended for another six months, saying while he would not extend his term he could not say the same for others.

''If there is anyone who is thinking about extending retirement, it's not me. I will not do that for myself. But I do not know what other people think or will do,'' he said.

snip

bangkokpost.net

Army chief dismisses speculation on extended term

Saturday 1 September 2007 03:12:02 PM (GMT+7:00)

BANGKOK, Sept 1 (TNA) - Thailand's Council for National Security (CNS) chairman and Royal Thai Army Commander-in-Chief Gen. Sonthi Boonyaratkalin on Saturday dismissed reports by some foreign media that he might stay on in his army post, saying that he would definitely not extend his official term.

snip

MCOT Public Company Limited.

• 2 weeks later...

Banharn: Sonthi not suitable for PM post

BREAKING NEWS

(BangkokPost.com) - Chart Thai party leader Banharn Silpa-archa expressed disagreement if Council for National Security chairman Sonthi Boonyaratkalin is to contest in the upcoming election.

Mr Banharn said he opposes the idea if Gen Sonthi is to be a leader of a political party or if he is going to take a prime minister post himself.

snip

bangkokpost.com

Gen Sonthi 'won't run in election'

Source: But he'll join new cabinet if asked

WASSANA NANUAM & PRADIT RUANGDIT

Wednesday September 12, 2007

Gen Sonthi Boonyaratkalin will not run in the forthcoming general election after he retires as army commander-in-chief at the end of this month, an army source close to him said yesterday.

However, Gen Sonthi, who will remain chairman of the Council for National Security after his retirement, will keep himself available for a cabinet post in the new government, the source added.

The source said Gen Sonthi had dropped plans to set up a political party or become a political party leader, preferring to watch political developments from the sidelines at least for the time being.

snip

bangkokpost.com

Sonthi's future still unclear

BREAKING NEWS

(BangkokPost.com) - Council for National Security chairman Sonthi Boonyaratkalin reiterated Thursday that he has not yet reached a decision whether he will enter politics after he retires from army chief post later this month.

He said he will spend the next three to four months to consider the matter again.

snip

bangkokpost.com

Sonthi's future still unclear

BREAKING NEWS
(BangkokPost.com) - Council for National Security chairman Sonthi Boonyaratkalin reiterated Thursday that he has not yet reached a decision whether he will enter politics after he retires from army chief post later this month.

He said he will spend the next three to four months to consider the matter again.

snip

bangkokpost.com

Its probably all part of the current politcal horse trading and ghames that will probably go on until 30 days before the election, or even right up to and after the vote. Oh what fun, but it does get a tad repetative and boring after a while.

Thai PM denies giving CNS Chairman political boost

Posted: 2007/09/17

Bangkok (VNA) – Thailand ’s Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont has denied allegations that he is paving the way for General Sonthi Boonyaratkalin to enter politics by announcing a cabinet reshuffle.

"I have no plans to make Gen. Sonthi a cabinet minister through a cabinet reshuffle," PM Surayud was quoted by the Bangkok Post as saying.

He also declined to comment on the possibility of the Council for National Security (CNS) chief Gen. Sonthi entering politics once he retires

mathaba.net

We have an antiquated system here where the army and police still buy commissions. Normally that would horrify most as to the competence of any military leadership, but here on TV, they go even further, they assume that a bought or influenced commission somehow makes the person a competent political leader? I do shake my head in amazement at times. What is it? The hot weather, too much beer?

The General is using the old "I will only run if the country need me" BS. When has the country ever needed him? Why would they ever conceivably need him?

The CNS record is abyssmal, except for cleverly (in the absense of any real opposition voice) steering Thailand closer to a Burmese style of military dictatorship, what have they done to improve things here? Oh, they got rid of Thaksin, and replaced him with what? Time will tell, but I don't see a rosy picture. What am I missing here? Perhaps more beer is the answer. :o

Now this is interesting:-

Cabinet approves position with rank equivalent to field marshal [General of the Army US] [Thailand ->Chom Phon(?)]

The Defence Ministry Tuesday sought and received a Cabinet approval to create a new advisory position to be filled by a senior general with a rank equivalent to field marshal.

The position is tasked to advise on defence affairs and classified as a temporary appointment to be terminated by retirement of office holder.

The ministry has justified its new position as giving its leeway to shuffle senior officers.

Regards

/add Thai Rank//

Edited by A_Traveller

Now this is interesting:-
Cabinet approves position with rank equivalent to field marshal [General of the Army US] [Thailand ->Chom Phon(?)]

The Defence Ministry Tuesday sought and received a Cabinet approval to create a new advisory position to be filled by a senior general with a rank equivalent to field marshal.

The position is tasked to advise on defence affairs and classified as a temporary appointment to be terminated by retirement of office holder.

The ministry has justified its new position as giving its leeway to shuffle senior officers.

Regards

/add Thai Rank//

It is not just about personalities. It is also about the North of Thailand where Gen. Saprang's old third army are based. That the North voted yes on the charter is a surprise to anyone who knows the region and how it is controlled by very powerful and generally pro-TRT people. Gen. Saprang obviously delivered up there. With the next election approaching any reduction in the power perceived or real of Gen. Saprang may not just upset him but also make it less appealing for those relying on his patronage to put in an effort as big as at the Charter vote, which will allow the old TRT feudal overlords and their money men a much freer and uncontested run at bagging a higher percentage up North.

The choice of the military head is complicated by seniority, personality, strategically positioning the military politically, the longetivity of who is appointed and more immediately the ability to influence the election in the North, which has already beeen demonstrated. It is no way an easy selection for those opposed to the Thaksin regime to make and does potentially give a huge advantage for the PPP's vote influencing mechanism to gain a potentially winning advatage if the vote influencing machine of their oppopnents is taken out of the reckoning.

Sonthi: PM to decide if I should join cabinet

Saturday September 22, 2007

WASSANA NANUAM

Outgoing army chief Gen Sonthi Boonyaratkalin said yesterday it was up to Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont if he would be made a deputy prime minister in the interim government.

''I cannot answer this question. Whatever job I will be given is up to the government,'' Gen Sonthi said when asked if he would accept an offer to become a deputy prime minister overseeing national security after he retires.

snip

bangkokpost.net

true%20colors_r1_c2.jpg

pressmantoy.com

PM: Sonthi join cabinet after he retires

04:19 Sep 20, 2007

(BangkokPost.com) - Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont said it is possible that Council for National Security chairman Sonthi Boonyaratkalin will be asked to join the interim government in the post of deputy prime minister overseeing national security after he retires at the end of this month.

Gen Surayud, speaking at a television programme broadcasted on Saturday morning, assured that Gen Sonthi will not be isolated after his retirement because they have been through tough times together, adding that some groups of people are still on his side.

"It is not that once he retires, no one will be sympathetic with him," Gen Surayud said.

snip

bangkokpost.com

:o

Edited by Mid

It will be interesting to see what position Gen. Sonthi is offered before the election and after the election. One thing is for sure he wont be hung out to dry. This is very much realpolitik. There is no way that a situation where Mr. T returns with his backers in power and Gen. Sonthi left vulnerable will happen.

It will be interesting to see what position Gen. Sonthi is offered before the election and after the election. One thing is for sure he wont be hung out to dry. This is very much realpolitik. There is no way that a situation where Mr. T returns with his backers in power and Gen. Sonthi left vulnerable will happen.

Well I'm sure that what Sonthi is rather concerned about and obviously he is working hard to ensure that he would not be vulnerable in such circumstances.However as the former British PM Macmillan once famously observed that in politics the best laid plans can be overturned by "events, dear boy,events".Actually though Sonthi like Thaksin will probably escape ,in the long term, retribution due to the tendency to accomodate in Thai culture (though Pridi was an exception),I can see a number of scenarios which would expose Sonthi in the short to medium term in a very disturbing way, for him at least.Moral of story:don't make too many predictions in politics and certainly not in Thai politics

Edited by younghusband

Democrat supports Sonthi's appointment as deputy PM

September 23, 2007 : Last updated 02:14 pm

Democrat Party spokesman Ong-arj Klampaibool Sunday expressed support for the appointment of Army Commander-in-Chief Gen Sonthi Boonyaratglin as a deputy prime minister in charge of security affairs after his retirement.

He said Sonthi is a capable person and should have no problem in working as a deputy prime minister in charge of security affairs.

The Nation

nationmultimedia.com

:o

Edited by Mid

Actually though Sonthi like Thaksin will probably escape ,in the long term, retribution due to the tendency to accomodate in Thai culture (though Pridi was an exception),I can see a number of scenarios which would expose Sonthi in the short to medium term in a very disturbing way, for him at least.Moral of story:don't make too many predictions in politics and certainly not in Thai politics

Thaksin, or any of his proxies, won't dare to do anything to "punish" coup makers without facing massive civil unrest, and it will be absolutely impossible for them to arrest Sonthi, unless they send peasants with pitchforks in. I seriously doubt that Thaksin will find enough security personel to cover himself in case of confrontation with Sonthi.

Actually though Sonthi like Thaksin will probably escape ,in the long term, retribution due to the tendency to accomodate in Thai culture (though Pridi was an exception),I can see a number of scenarios which would expose Sonthi in the short to medium term in a very disturbing way, for him at least.Moral of story:don't make too many predictions in politics and certainly not in Thai politics

Thaksin, or any of his proxies, won't dare to do anything to "punish" coup makers without facing massive civil unrest, and it will be absolutely impossible for them to arrest Sonthi, unless they send peasants with pitchforks in. I seriously doubt that Thaksin will find enough security personel to cover himself in case of confrontation with Sonthi.

Well that's probably the middle class received wisdom though it's interesting how proponents of this view underestimate the ambivalence in which most Thais hold the coupmakers.But I don't think in practice anyone will be punished simply neutralised, living a tolerated half life like Suchinda.There is certainly the potential for massive civil unrest but it will most likely come from a different direction, not as rather comically suggested a bunch of urbanites coming out for junta leaders.If as I hope the Democrats form the next administration the leadership will not be as malleable as many juntaphiles would like.And looking a few years down the road all bets are off.

Well that's probably the middle class received wisdom though it's interesting how proponents of this view underestimate the ambivalence in which most Thais hold the coupmakers.But I don't think in practice anyone will be punished simply neutralised, living a tolerated half life like Suchinda.There is certainly the potential for massive civil unrest but it will most likely come from a different direction, not as rather comically suggested a bunch of urbanites coming out for junta leaders.If as I hope the Democrats form the next administration the leadership will not be as malleable as many juntaphiles would like.And looking a few years down the road all bets are off.

This is something missed by many on here and it seems even some serious analysts. It is not something lost on Gen Sonthi however. The maleable ex-TRT factions that are meant to be forming a new party or two still seem to be his favoured option.

Boonrawd says he ready to step aside for Sonthi

September 24, 2007 : Last updated 06:28 pm

Defence Minister Boonrawd Somtas Monday said he is pleased to quit so that Council for National Security chief General Sonthi Boonyaratglin can replace him.

Boonrawd said he talked to Sonthi and he believed Sonthi only wanted to be deputy prime minister oversees security.

"If he wants to double as deputy prime minister and defence minister, I am glad to open the way for him but from our talk, he just wants the deputy prime minister post. To simply put it, the work at the Defence Ministry is alright,'' he said.

The Nation

This is something missed by many on here and it seems even some serious analysts. It is not something lost on Gen Sonthi however. The maleable ex-TRT factions that are meant to be forming a new party or two still seem to be his favoured option.

What ?

Abhisit , not malleable ?

You must be kidding. He's been sucking up the generals since day 1.