Trump says he's been indicted in classified docs probe

Scott

11 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

I was really only responding to the notion that an 'unopposed motion' that was drafted in consultation with the defense is a "significant victory" for the prosecution.

Fair enough.  It will still be interesting to see if Trump can keep his mouth shut.

Here is his defense, well he is deflecting on why he did not return the documents when asked.

Trump says he didn't hand over documents because he was 'very busy' (usatoday.com)

Former President Donald Trump offered a new explanation Monday as to why he didn't return classified documents he took with him from the White House, saying he was "very busy" and didn't have time to separate them from his personal belongings.

Trump made the comments in an interview with Fox News' chief political anchor Bret Baier on his show Special Report.

Asked why he didn't simply return the bankers boxes full of documents after the National Archives and Justice Department moved to subpoena him, Trump said, "Because I had boxes, I wanted to go through the boxes and get all of my personal things out. I don't want to hand that over to NARA yet.  And I was very busy, as you’ve sort of seen."

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

You might have thought that even Trump would realise that, "I'm very busy," is not a valid legal reason for failing to comply with a subpoena.

Clearly not, though.

More deflection and denial on his part. "I needed to separate my personal items from all others in the boxes"  now that's rich.  Had the man not been denying the election was stolen and then tried to lead an insurrection he would have had almost 2 months to gather his personal items in separate boxes while leaving the Documents at the White House for NARA.

His interview also violates the new rules for the case as to not discussing it.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

More deflection and denial on his part. "I needed to separate my personal items from all others in the boxes"  now that's rich.  Had the man not been denying the election was stolen and then tried to lead an insurrection he would have had almost 2 months to gather his personal items in separate boxes while leaving the Documents at the White House for NARA.

Its also a clear admission that he was deliberately holding onto items for his own personal reasons no matter how lame they are.

27 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

The Protective Order only deals with discovery materials:

5. Defendants’ Review of Discovery Materials. Defendants shall only have access to Discovery Materials under the direct supervision of Defense Counsel or a member of Defense
Counsel’s staff.

Defendants shall not retain copies of Discovery Material. Defendants may take notes regarding Discovery Materials, but such notes shall be stored securely by Defense Counsel or a member of Defense Counsel’s staff in the same manner as the Discovery Materials.

https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.uscourts.flsd.648653/gov.uscourts.flsd.648653.27.0.pdf

Edited by jerrymahoney

37 minutes ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

You might have thought that even Trump would realise that, "I'm very busy," is not a valid legal reason for failing to comply with a subpoena.

Clearly not, though.

Doesn't matter. He doesn't have a legal defense and is not interested. He is fighting this out in the public realm.

32 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

<snip>

It doesn't violate the present ruling which pertains to revealing classified documents/information. I would not be surprised if later on a gag order will be issued though.

1 minute ago, stevenl said:

It doesn't violate the present ruling which pertains to revealing classified documents/information. I would not be surprised if later on a gag order will be issued though.

A gag order might (maybe) be sought by the Prosecution once a jury is selected.

24 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

A gag order might (maybe) be sought by the Prosecution once a jury is selected.

Sorry but I mixed up his indictment cases.  The other one does have a Gag order on it.

10 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Sorry but I mixed up his indictment cases.  The other one does have a Gag order on it.

Well the NY Court Bragg - indictment seems mostly the same:

A state judge in New York cautioned former President Donald Trump on Tuesday to obey a protective order dictating how he can talk about discovery materials during the upcoming criminal trial stemming from hush money payments paid to a former adult movie actress.

The order covers how Trump communicates publicly about emails, photographs, testimony and other evidence gathered as legal proceedings move forward ahead of the trial date set for March 25, 2024.

During a hearing held over a video connection, Judge Juan Merchan told Trump he must obey a protective order or there could be a "wide range of possible sanctions including a finding of contempt."

https://www.npr.org/2023/05/23/1177644144/trump-stormy-daniels-judge-new-york-hush-money-case-carroll

But it does get confusing. I think of the old baseball stadium hawker line: Can’t tell the players without a program.

Edited by jerrymahoney

5 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

Well the NY Court Bragg - indictment seems mostly the same:

A state judge in New York cautioned former President Donald Trump on Tuesday to obey a protective order dictating how he can talk about discovery materials during the upcoming criminal trial stemming from hush money payments paid to a former adult movie actress.

The order covers how Trump communicates publicly about emails, photographs, testimony and other evidence gathered as legal proceedings move forward ahead of the trial date set for March 25, 2024.

During a hearing held over a video connection, Judge Juan Merchan told Trump he must obey a protective order or there could be a "wide range of possible sanctions including a finding of contempt."

https://www.npr.org/2023/05/23/1177644144/trump-stormy-daniels-judge-new-york-hush-money-case-carroll

But it does get confusing. I think of the old baseball stadium hawker line: Can’t tell the players without a program

But 

Trump seems to want to play whack-a-mole. He would do himself many favors if he could just stay silent, yet he can not.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, Pink Mist said:

Trump seems to want to play whack-a-mole. He would do himself many favors if he could just stay silent, yet he can not.

Well aside that his lawyers might be telling him to be quiet and give us a break, a gag order other than for discovery material would -- at least to me -- not make sense up to and until an actual trial and jury seating, as such a gag order would (?) be challenged on First Amendment rights.

But not after. Because then ex-POTUS could be accused of trying to influence the jury.

Edited by jerrymahoney

On 6/18/2023 at 9:07 PM, eisfeld said:

Turns out that even if Trumps imaginary declassification of documents somehow would stick there's just a wee little problem for him: even a president can't declassify nuclear secrets.

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/trump-lacked-power-declassify-secret-nuclear-arms-document-experts-say-2023-06-18/

“Document No. 19 Formerly Restricted Data concerning nuclear weaponry of the United States.”

Now, why did he want to hold in to this and who had access to it?

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

The question I would put in court would be "Did you ever play golf after you received the subpoena?

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

Clearly not, though.

On Fox Brit Hume: Trump defense of taking documents ‘incoherent’

https://news.yahoo.com/brit-hume-trump-defense-taking-231546590.html

The New York Times reporter Maggie Haberman -- who has been following Trump in NY for years before he became President -- has a report on the Fox Interview here.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/06/19/us/politics/trump-classified-document-fox-news.html

https://archive.is/mLcNA

But this whole Bedminster NJ audio tape may become what Alfred Hitchcock called the MacGuffin.

The real issue here for Trump is the 37 count indictment in Florida and -- if for their sake alone -- I hope Kise and Blanche know what they are doing despite the big upfront retainers they have been reported to have received.

Edited by jerrymahoney

5 hours ago, Pink Mist said:

We're going to see why "Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law" is an important warning.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

This from Jonathan Turly on Twitter:

...They (DOJ) may also have a specific document in mind, but they have not indicated that they have proof of its removal. That could be part of the case to come. However, we now know Trump's account of the audiotape.

Exclusive: Trump attorneys haven’t found classified document former president referred to on tape following subpoena

The sources say prosecutors made clear to Trump’s attorneys after issuing the subpoena that they specifically wanted the Iran document he talked about on tape as well as any material referencing classified information – like meeting notes, audio recordings or copies of the document – that may still be Trump’s possession.

Attorneys for Donald Trump turned over material in mid-March in response to a federal subpoena related to a classified US military document described by the former president on tape in 2021 but were unable to find the document itself, two sources tell CNN.

It is unclear if the government already possesses a copy of the Iran document from the boxes Trump’s legal team returned to the National Archives last year or recovered in the subsequent FBI search.

https://edition.cnn.com/2023/06/02/politics/donald-trump-iran-subpoena/index.html

Edited by jerrymahoney

33 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

This from Jonathan Turly on Twitter:

...They (DOJ) may also have a specific document in mind, but they have not indicated that they have proof of its removal. That could be part of the case to come. However, we now know Trump's account of the audiotape.

Exclusive: Trump attorneys haven’t found classified document former president referred to on tape following subpoena

The sources say prosecutors made clear to Trump’s attorneys after issuing the subpoena that they specifically wanted the Iran document he talked about on tape as well as any material referencing classified information – like meeting notes, audio recordings or copies of the document – that may still be Trump’s possession.

Attorneys for Donald Trump turned over material in mid-March in response to a federal subpoena related to a classified US military document described by the former president on tape in 2021 but were unable to find the document itself, two sources tell CNN.

It is unclear if the government already possesses a copy of the Iran document from the boxes Trump’s legal team returned to the National Archives last year or recovered in the subsequent FBI search.

https://edition.cnn.com/2023/06/02/politics/donald-trump-iran-subpoena/index.html

We know as a matter of recorded fact Trump hid evidence and documents from his attorneys, why then pin hopes on Trump’s attorneys saying they can’t find documents?

• Thumbs Up 2

3 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

We know as a matter of recorded fact Trump hid evidence and documents from his attorneys, why then pin hopes on Trump’s attorneys saying they can’t find documents?

The DOJ issued the subpoena in March and the attorneys responded mid -March. This was a June 2 CNN article and at least I have not noted that the DOJ has taken any further action.

59 minutes ago, proton said:

why should he not be able to defend himself against the witch hunt against him? 

This ‘Witch hunt’ that relies on the sworn testimony of Trump loyalists, his attorneys, members of his administration, Republicans and members of his own family.

• Thumbs Up 1

42 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

The DOJ issued the subpoena in March and the attorneys responded mid -March. This was a June 2 CNN article and at least I have not noted that the DOJ has taken any further action.

The lack of news on the progress of investigations under Jack Smith has a habit of being a very poor indicator of what Jack Smith is investigating.

6 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

“Document No. 19 Formerly Restricted Data concerning nuclear weaponry of the United States.”

Now, why did he want to hold in to this and who had access to it?

So he could bragg about having the power to press the button while he was president! :biggrin: