Unpaid speeding fine

On 6/10/2023 at 6:39 PM, scubascuba3 said:

Meant to be linked from May

Screenshot_2023-06-10-18-37-43-232_com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox.jpg

I renewed my Motorcycle Tax (& Por-ror-bor) last week and saw exactly the same message..... 

So.. we (Wife and I) went online to check our speeding tickets as we know we have a few... (as recently as a few weeks ago).....  Only one is in the system but we've not actually received the 'paper' the fine for that one yet...  lost in post perhaps ??

So... it seems all old fines have been wiped....

And anything else adds up and gets paid on Tax renewal time... I'm not sure about 'additional fines' for late payment if they cannot prove delivery of the fine in the first place. 

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

So.. we (Wife and I) went online to check our speeding tickets as we know we have a few... (as recently as a few weeks ago).....  Only one is in the system but we've not actually received the 'paper' the fine for that one yet...  lost in post perhaps ??

Where can you check please?

• Like 1

On 6/11/2023 at 8:59 AM, quake said:

Put them in the filing system,  same as the locals do.

why should anyone do any different from the locals.

until they enforce payment.

TIT.

file.JPG

Also my experience.I pay mine but Thais usually ignore them and there seems to be no follow up.

5 hours ago, bigt3116 said:

Seriously, you are blaming the THAI authorities for writing in THAI!!!

No I'm not 'blaming' them but they could use just a number for the month, same with the Tax disc, outdated rubbish we are not in the year of 2566 the rest of the world isn't including Tibet/China.

On 6/12/2023 at 9:24 PM, sungod said:

My pet hate is the 'white line cameras'. They put them in places where it's almost impossible not to go over the white line/chevrons.

100% agree.....   Some of these lines appear to have been 'positioned' by someone who does not drive !!!.... OR.. the cynic in me suggests they may be positioned to catch as many out as possible. 

There is one near my place where we always get caught.

When exiting the toll way and merging left, we need to get across into the right hand lane to take a fly over - there is about 80m space in which to do that.... there is about 4m of 'dashed' white line where we can cross....   Timing the 'lane switch' to that 4m of dashed line, rather than merging when safe to do so creates a riskier situation that just a simple 'merging of lanes'.

There is a concurrently running subject regarding how to make Thailands roads safer... and following 'road rules' is a key facet of that discussion - of course the issue here is the rules in this case, with the white lines are ridiculous, yet we would have posters accusing us of being arrogant in not wanting to follow the rules, why are we so special ? etc etc... 

The issue of course is that there is so thought which has gone into the layouts, markings, signage, visibility of so many junctions we are instead forced to use our own common sense and ignore the rules - in many cases, the 'unbroken white line' is one of the rules I completely ignore such is the nonsensical nature of their positioning. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

100% agree.....   Some of these lines appear to have been 'positioned' by someone who does not drive !!!.... OR.. the cynic in me suggests they may be positioned to catch as many out as possible. 

When exiting the toll way and merging left, we need to get across into the right hand lane to take a fly over - there is about 80m space in which to do that.... there is about 4m of 'dashed' white line where we can cross....   Timing the 'lane switch' to that 4m of dashed line, rather than merging when safe to do so creates a riskier situation that just a simple 'merging of lanes'.

There is a concurrently running subject regarding how to make Thailands roads safer... and following 'road rules' is a key facet of that discussion - of course the issue here is the rules in this case, with the white lines are ridiculous, yet we would have posters accusing us of being arrogant in not wanting to follow the rules, why are we so special ? etc etc... 

The issue of course is that there is so thought which has gone into the layouts, markings, signage, visibility of so many junctions we are instead forced to use our own common sense and ignore the rules - in many cases, the 'unbroken white line' is one of the rules I completely ignore such is the nonsensical nature of their positioning. 

As with traffic lights you can't see them 6meters above the road, for 2 reasons, I don't tend to look at the sky when driving, :giggle: also one can't see them if following high vehicles. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

On 6/11/2023 at 9:11 AM, quake said:

Even more funny of you. :cheesy:

I have had 1 ticket in 23 years. :giggle:

That doesn't really mean anything on its own. 

IF you are only getting in a car once or twice per week and the vast majority of your driving on outside of city, quiet back-country roads where there are no speed cameras then you are unlikely to pick up tickets. 

IF however, the School run relies on the expressway with a handful of cameras and a couple of junctions which are so poorly laid out it's nearly impossible to avoid 'crossing a white line' (and there's a camera)...    then its a good month when only a couple of tickets have been issued. 

My Wife picks up a lot of tickets, mostly from the school run... meanwhile, when riding my motorcycle I've never had a ticket...  It simply because the roads I'm taking do not have cameras. 

------

I know that gives room for the sanctimonious amongst you to levy accusations at my Wife of being a dangerous driver, but she isn't, neither is she fast - she 'drives with the flow'.

The 'main ticket' we get getting is the 'crossing the white line' ticket....  (as explained above)... there is a small (approx 4m) gap of broken white line across which merging into the next line is permitted, outside of that there is a 'camera' which flags the indiscretion - the issue of course is that do 'get it right' and only cross on the white line the driver must sometimes stop in the middle of the 2nd lane to wait for a space rather than merging more naturally (and more safely).

The alternative of not merging at all involves taking two U-Turns (and an additional 10mins of traffic).

17 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

As with traffic lights you can't see them 6meters above the road, for 2 reasons, I don't tend to look at the sky when driving, :giggle: also one can't see them if following high vehicles. 

Six meters isn't "in the sky" and if you cannot see because of a high vehicle, you're too close to it.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

outdated rubbish we are not in the year of 2566

Maybe move to a country whose language and calendar you approve of, instead of demeaning the system used in the country YOU chose to live in.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:
29 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Six meters isn't "in the sky" and if you cannot see because of a high vehicle, you're too close to it.

Some of them (traffic lights) are quite often positioned poorly....  

I've actually driven straight through a 'red light' in Pattaya.... (wife spotted it, I didn't)

Took the same road the following day and still didn't see the traffic light, stopped anyway, then saw it and realised why, it was at the side of the road nestled in between a load of adverts for 'ministerial / governor' candidates etc... I was sign blinded. 

Sometimes, the lights are just positioned very poorly and they can be missed... 

In some area's we see a junction and have to actually look for the lights, rather than what should happen with the lights being impossible to miss. 

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

Took the same road the following day and still didn't see the traffic light, stopped anyway, then saw it and realised why, it was at the side of the road nestled in between a load of adverts for 'ministerial / governor' candidates etc... I was sign blinded. 

That's nothing to do with the positioning of the lights, it was 100% the fault of whoever illegally erected the signs.

57 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Very similar,there is an exit I take where I need to pull over at the last second as opposed to merge in gradually.

I think the way it works is poor planning, then someone realises its a money maker and sticks a camera in there. So, a cross of the 2.

Today we registered our Toyota 14 yrs old car online suing the DLT vehicle tax app, unpaid fine from March 2023 didn't show up / dint preventing us from registering. Took less than 5 minutes as all they have all of the details in their system including the compulsory test/pink slip for cars older than 7 years

Road tax sticker to be mail to us, hopefully will come soon.

• Like 1

On 6/14/2023 at 12:24 PM, Liverpool Lou said:
On 6/14/2023 at 12:21 PM, richard_smith237 said:

That's nothing to do with the positioning of the lights, it was 100% the fault of whoever illegally erected the signs.

Agreed... 

Every election time simply pulling out of a side soi becomes more hazardous than usual as these large signes right at the junctions edge are positioned blocking visibility to on-coming traffic such that we have to edge out.......   annoying as heck and I wanted to move a couple of them out of the way *(at the entrance to my moo-baan)....

... But, I recall reading in the news not too long ago that someone was actually 'charged' for damaging public property for defacing one of those signs.... so the optics of a foreigner pulling one down would see a good few 'hang-him-high then deport him' posts from the 'you're just a guest in this country' brigade !!!