Is Chiang Mai airport immigration easier than Bangkok ?

Hello,

I came in Thailand on December 2021 and thanks to the Covid extension, I stayed 9 months.

Then, I left Thailand in October 2022.

When I came back four months later - without visa, visa extension was still 45 days - immigration at Suvarnabhumi saw I stayed nine months and make me problems. At the end, they let me in but they checked if I had a departure ticket - I had - and a rental address in Bangkok - I had too.

What is your experience with Chiang Mai international airport ?

Thank you.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

Hands down CNX is an easier entry point than either DMK or BKK.

In fact I couldn't find any reports of denial of entry from CNX.

If you're coming back in, have proof of onward travel in the 30 days you'll get stamped in. They'll ask for that first if they're going to hassle you or deny you entry.

• Thumbs Up 1

Previous history shows Chiang Mai airport is better than either of the Bangkok airports. Not many international flights (except for some within the region) go direct to Chiang Mai, but it would certainly be a prudent choice if possible.

There have been a very few denied entries at Chiang Mai for those requesting visa exemptions, but they were pretty extreme cases. There have never, as far as I know, been any inappropriate denied entries for those with visas (unlike at the Bangkok airports). Having a tourist visa is better if you are spending a lot of time here.

If, in the worst case, you enter through Bangkok again, you will probably get another grilling, but my sense is that they will let you in.

Experiences may vary, draw no conclusions from mine;
I flew in 3 times at Suvarnabhumi/BKK airport in the last 6 months on visa exempt, no questions asked, my onward flight ticket was asked for only once at departure (Saigon/SGN).
I had not been in Thailand for seven months prior to that.

2 minutes ago, orchis said:

Experiences may vary, draw no conclusions from mine;
I flew in 3 times at Suvarnabhumi/BKK airport in the last 6 months on visa exempt, no questions asked, my onward flight ticket was asked for only once at departure (Saigon/SGN).
I had not been in Thailand for seven months prior to that.

Out of interest...

How long did you spend in Saigon between exit/reentry Thailand 

I was in the same situation as OP before corona broke out. I was holding a freshly stamped SETV from the Embassy in Hanoi and after 9 months of stay in the Kingdom I ran searches on Thai Visa and decided to fly into CNX. 

I was quite nervous at the queue for immigration check, but to my surprise everything was really smooth and I was stamped in real quick.

Fun fact: I was almost denied boarding that same midnight on my way to BKK as I had celebrated my arrival a bit too much and the staff made me sit next to them on the plane to DMK.

• Sad 2

Thank you very much, everyone. Especially for letting me know that a stop in Bangkok means immigration in Bangkok: if I fly to Chiang Mai I won't make a stop in Bangkok.

Still, my plan is to fly without visa.

And a short remember: problems happen when they saw the covid extension on my passport. Still, I never overstayed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, blazes said:

For visitors from North America, who want to enter LOS in Chiang Mai, one can fly with Eva Air from Taipei direct or Korean Air direct from Seoul (and probably with other Asian carriers).

Yes and I'm in Korea right now. Only problem: Korean Air's tickets are not the cheapest (euphemism).

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, anotherfarangishere said:

Yes and I'm in Korea right now. Only problem: Korean Air's tickets are not the cheapest (euphemism).

I believe there is at least another airline flying direct from Korea, Jeju Air. And for other passengers incoming from East, CNX has also direct connections from Japan, Vietnam, Hong Kong, not to mention lots from China. Among others in the region, also Singapore has direct connections.

1 hour ago, arithai12 said:

I believe there is at least another airline flying direct from Korea, Jeju Air. And for other passengers incoming from East, CNX has also direct connections from Japan, Vietnam, Hong Kong, not to mention lots from China. Among others in the region, also Singapore has direct connections.

You're right: Jeju Air as also some direct flights to Chiang Mai. Cheaper than Korean Airline but still, not cheap at all. Otherwise, VietJet has cheap flights with one stop in Hanoi or Saigon, I don't remember exactly. But they have horrible reviews on Skytrax.

I've made a new post to ask about crossing the border Malaysia/Thailand - there are cheap flights between Korea and Kuala Lumpur - by land at Padang Besar or by plane landing at Hat Yai but it seems my post has been deleted... So, if someone has some recent experience or report about these two possibilities, please let me know.

3 hours ago, anotherfarangishere said:

I've made a new post to ask about crossing the border Malaysia/Thailand - there are cheap flights between Korea and Kuala Lumpur - by land at Padang Besar or by plane landing at Hat Yai but it seems my post has been deleted... So, if someone has some recent experience or report about these two possibilities, please let me know.

In my own experience I've always found it better to cross at pedang bessar,there's 2 crossing points .

1 is for foot traffic and vehicles and the other and better option is the immigration check point used by train passengers.

4 hours ago, anotherfarangishere said:

Your post hasn't been deleted however nobody has replied to it yet.

4 hours ago, Lemsta69 said:

Your post hasn't been deleted however nobody has replied to it yet.

I couldn't find it... my mistake, for sure. Thanks for letting me know.

In fact, there are many flights from Kuala Lumpur to Chiang Mai too and the price for tickets is only 10 or 20% more than flights from KL to Hat Yai (and anyway a lot cheaper than KL to Bangkok by train). So, it seems Korea to KL and then KL to Chiang Mai is the best option.

Just now, anotherfarangishere said:

I couldn't find it... my mistake, for sure. Thanks for letting me know.

In fact, there are many flights from Kuala Lumpur to Chiang Mai too and the price for tickets is only 10 or 20% more than flights from KL to Hat Yai (and anyway a lot cheaper than KL to Bangkok by train). So, it seems Korea to KL and then KL to Chiang Mai is the best option.

Here it is LOL. I found it by clicking on your user profile.

https://aseannow.com/topic/1297688-did-you-cross-the-malth-border-recently-at-padang-besar-or-came-in-th-by-landing-in-hat-yai/#comment-18140406

4 hours ago, Daithi85 said:

In my own experience I've always found it better to cross at pedang bessar,there's 2 crossing points .

1 is for foot traffic and vehicles and the other and better option is the immigration check point used by train passengers.

But the one used by train passengers is inside Malaysia!

10 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

Thank you very much! I'm not very good with forums and I always forger that usually you can use your profile to find your posts.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 6/11/2023 at 10:44 PM, blazes said:

For visitors from North America, who want to enter LOS in Chiang Mai, one can fly with Eva Air from Taipei direct or Korean Air direct from Seoul (and probably with other Asian carriers).

Also via Taipei with China Airlines and if self-transferring with Thai AirAsia.

On 6/12/2023 at 4:44 AM, blazes said:

China Airlines (Taiwan) compete with Eva on the route, they are both good options. Go to the basement Foodcourt in Taipei if there's time, it's great Taiwanese Tucker, and cheap by airport standards. 

I'm not sure if there are still flights CNX to HKG.

But I avoid HKG now because it's basically Mainland China in all but name and uniforms, with all their arbitrary weirdness, and I'm no fan of the CCP on many social media channels.

• Thumbs Up 1

My own experience. Been flying in to CNX direct for over 10 years with either TR or VE. No problems at all. Normally stay 4 or 5 months but then stay out for at least 4 months.

I always have hotel booking and onward flight just in case.

Recent visits, May 2021 to April 2022 Special Tourist Visa and 2 covid ext.

Jan 23 to June 23 (just left for Vietnam) SETV, extension and two side trips to Singapore and Osaka.

All entries except one via CNX. Be polite, provide what they ask for if anything, avoid too many back to backs and Chiang Mai is a good place to enter.