How deep do I make my pond?

Hello I have a question for anyone who has made a pond in Thailand.

We have limited space and are looking to make a pond, the pond will be stepped twice allowing fish to eat and lay eggs in the shallow waters (crude drawing below). Our soil is mostly clay, all of the farms within a 1km radius have ponds and their sides are between 80-90 degrees. This is also true for the nearby areas, most of the sides of the pond are almost in a straight line, however these ponds are larger than the size we want.

Due to space limitations we are looking to make a pond 9 meter by 6 meter, does anyone know a formula to use to decide how deep to go without comprising the pond to fall in on itself, I have not found much information online. We play to plant grass and cow dung to strength the pond to stop it from cracking. 

Pond uses  will be : collect rain water, breed a few fish.

____
         I
         ------
                 I
                  --------
                             I

Edited by Steve910

You need 30% clay content in the soil for the pond not to leak. Sounds like you have that.

Pond for holding water and for fish is not the same thing. For water it should be as deep as possible, but a fish pond should be less than 2 m deep and have a flat bottom so you can catch the fish. I would not have steeper sides than 60 degrees. If you take water for watering the level will change over the year and a shelf for fish breeding would not work so well.

• Like 1

Dig until you reach china... Then back off a bit.

Serious answer though.... as deep as you can, shallow ponds get toasty warm in Thailand's hot environment and the fishes like to get down low into the cooler water.

Edited by Ralf001
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Pogust said:

You need 30% clay content in the soil for the pond not to leak. Sounds like you have that.

Pond for holding water and for fish is not the same thing. For water it should be as deep as possible, but a fish pond should be less than 2 m deep and have a flat bottom so you can catch the fish. I would not have steeper sides than 60 degrees. If you take water for watering the level will change over the year and a shelf for fish breeding would not work so well.

Thank you so much for your comment. I should add that I am close to a dam and there is a canal just a few meters away where I can pull water to continually refill the pond. Would this make it suitable for using as a fish pond and a place to pull water from as I can always refill the pond? Thanks again.

1 hour ago, Ralf001 said:

Dig until you reach china... Then back off a bit.

This is what I have been told by the locals, I was just a bit concerned if the well would pond in on itself as my pond will be not as wide or long.

22 hours ago, Steve910 said:

Thank you so much for your comment. I should add that I am close to a dam and there is a canal just a few meters away where I can pull water to continually refill the pond. Would this make it suitable for using as a fish pond and a place to pull water from as I can always refill the pond?

If you have access to water all year you don't need a deep pond. A flat bottom will make it possible to drag a net across and get the fish. Plant trees around to get some shade, both for fish and fisherman.

9 x 6 is quite a small pond, the deepest you should do is 3 meters. the side slope angle should be around 30-45 degree. clay soil is very good for holding water and not easily cracking, so you either planting deep root grass or using rice grain spread it over around the edge of the pond it's growing very fast or you can grow both i mean vetiver and rice, with these two combined will protect it from cracking