Former US President Donald Trump leaves court after NOT GUILTY plea

Social Media

Summary

1. Donald Trump has pleaded not guilty to criminal charges alleging he retained classified documents after he left the White House
  2. It's alleged that US government secrets were stored in a shower, bathroom, ballroom and bedroom of his Mar-a-Lago estate
  3. After leaving the court, the former president stopped at a well-known Cuban cafe in Miami to greet supporters
  4. Trump will speak later today from his golf club in New Jersey
  5. Supporters of the former president have been protesting the indictment outside the Miami court
  6. Trump, who is campaigning to win back the White House, says the indictment is "election interference"
  7. Special Counsel Jack Smith, the lead investigator, says he wants a speedy trial and that Trump is innocent until proven guilty

3 hours ago, bamnutsak said:

Interesting that no family members accompanied the former president to his arraignment. No Melania, no Don Jr., no Ivanka, no Tiffany.

That seems sad.

Just like his New York arraignment, Trump did not have any friends or family there with him, just his lawyers and his personal aide and co-defendant Walt Nauta.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/donald-trump/live-blog/trump-indictment-live-updates-arraignment-rcna88868

I wonder if the judge advised the defendants not to speak publicly about the proceedings?

The former president left for a fundraiser at his Bedminster club after the proceedings. Mr. Nauta will probably be busy "valeting" boxes and such at that facility.

Tiffany has allegedly long rolled-over on Daddy dearest to save her perfumed tush from wearing Orange.

But this case isn't about that, I'm just observing that's why the family may have not wanted to appear, they all have seperate legal woes, the case that Tiffany has to answer, leading to more trouble for Trump himself, is still ahead. 

I'm surprised the stress of all this hasn't killed him. 

I don't think I could cope in his position at his age. 

I thought it was sad because, normally, one's family accompanies them to court for support. And Trump being such a family man, it must have been tough on him. I guess he'll always have Walt Nauta. Nixon had Manolo Sanchez - referred to him by Bebe Rebozo - and of course his wife, daughters and sons in law. 

BTW, like his dad, I forgot about Eric. Sorry.

Will he run for president without any family support? Surely Melania will pitch in and help him get re-elected?

Edited by bamnutsak
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

If he was guilty and there was proof, do you really think he would deny it in a court of law? 

At least in the USoA, in a criminal trial, it is the job of the prosecutor to prove the defendant did do as charged. Not that the defendant has to prove he didn't do as charged 

1 minute ago, jerrymahoney said:

At least in the USoA, in a criminal trial, it is the job of the prosecutor to prove the defendant did do as charged. Not that the defendant has to prove he didn't do as charged 

Right, but the President would not lie under oath if there was proof he did something. Could he not be then charged with Perjury?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Right, but the President would not lie under oath if there was proof he did something. Could he not be then charged with Perjury?

Trump nor any defendant in a US criminal trial is not required to take the witness stand at all.

That is, if the defense does not call the defendant to testify, the prosecution cannot then call the defendant to testify,

Edited by jerrymahoney

7 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

I understand. I think you miss my point -  no President is going to lie under oath and risk perjury, and going to jail, if there is in fact evidence that they did something.

Trump never has to say anything under oath.

Saying 'Not Guilty' at an arraignment just means you are not going to plead Guilty at least at the present time.

Edited by jerrymahoney

4 hours ago, bamnutsak said:

BTW, like his dad, I forgot about Eric. Sorry.

Eric DID accompany Dad to/from the courthouse.

Trump rode to court with his son Eric, who accompanied the motorcade from the former president's Doral resort to the federal courthouse in Miami.

https://www.wsbtv.com/news/trending/trump-indictment-former-president-says-he-will-plead-not-guilty/R7BEVZPP2NEXBKCK6Z25ETS2WY/

eric.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jerrymahoney said:

The defendant running his mouth and outright admitting his crimes is a bit of a plus for the prosecution.

30 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Wow, that's totally taking the cookie. 

Why are they not up in court?

Because they both self reported, cooperated in the voluntary return of the documents, did not conceal the documents from the Government, did not collude with others to conceal the documents from the Government, did not instruct their lawyers to lie to investigators, did not themselves lie to investigators, did not show the documents to people who had no right or security clearance to see the documents, didn’t obstruct the investigation.

Is that clear for you?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

The defendant running his mouth and outright admitting his crimes is a bit of a plus for the prosecution.

The only thing that counts is what a Judge allows to be said/presented in the presence of a jury.

And if your "admitting his crimes" refers to the 'smoking gun' meeting as in the indictment, maybe not hang too much on that just yet.

Edited by jerrymahoney
  • Like 1

Posts from the same poster who has been trying to move the OP off topic have been reported and removed.  Continue and face a suspension. The OP is not about anyone other than Trump.

Former US President Donald Trump leaves court after NOT GUILTY plea

18 hours ago, bamnutsak said:

Interesting that no family members accompanied the former president to his arraignment. No Melania, no Don Jr., no Ivanka, no Tiffany.

I had been trying to find a decent human being in that crew since 2016, I thought it would be Tiff or Mel.  Tiff comes out with a bubble-headed statement every so often, but the press is usually kind enough to play it down.  Maybe the airhead thing is her protection against the Ivana kids. 

During the 2016 campaign I recall them being with him all the time, stalking after him in their overcoats. 

You might recall Mel was spurning him publicly for a while, then she stopped -- I suspect a quid pro quo was agreed upon.

As for Eric being there yesterday, I imagine there was a conversation like:

"Dad, can I come along?"

"Only if you keep your damned mouth shut!"   :biggrin: