I'm married to Thai lady for 15 years and thinking of leaving her because she drinks Lao Khao and is always drunk. We bought land and house in 2006 ( I have 30 year lease on it) and married for Thai law in 2007. Is it no big deal if I leave her without getting divorsed first? I don't realy care about the property. The property is in her name.

Thanks.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, rutteketuut said:

I cannot force her. She says she can stop drinking by herself but it's only getting worse. 

Irrelevant what she says. I've seen so many alco stories, ruined families so NO she won't quit. Live your own life and forget about her. The fun (with her booze endeavors) is still ahead and you don't want to witness it.

• Like 1

Run Forrest, Run....don't look back, I did the same with US wife, married 18 years (stay that long for the kids) she was an alcoholic, AA didn't help as she denied it (being addicted), have been happier ever since running away

Edited by Mavideol
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

You should at least try to get her into AA. 

I knew someone who managed to quit drinking by taking up cannabis instead. Being stoned reduced his desire to drink significantly until finally he was ok with just the weed. Of course , this resulted in a new kind of dependence but it was not nearly as bad as being alcoholic and at least when stoned he was still coherent and could function.

A lot depends on the individual. If they are intelligent enough to recognize there is a serious problem and something needs to be done it might work. But if they are in denial , not much hope. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

You should at least try to get her into AA. 

I would think during those 15ish yrs, the topic of not being an alky has been discussed.  Failed, and now ready to bail.

Wise choice, as why be miserable because of your partner.  Not getting any younger ... enjoy life instead of waiting for someone else to change.

For better or worst is fine ... if not self induced.   You're on your own, if throwing you own life away.  Not being an accident or health issue, leave her.  And I don't agree with the sentiment, alcoholism is a disease.  It's self inflicted, that's not a disease.

Threw the 1st TH wife out for about the same, drank & gambled too much.  Not nearly as patient as the op, less than 1 yrs and divorced.

Too much living to do, to waste on other people.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, rutteketuut said:

She doesn't want to.

And because she doesn't want to that's it?

Do you want to do for the rest of your life what she wants? Do you need to face serious trouble before you make your own decisions?

Grow a pair. Do it!

On 6/17/2023 at 11:52 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

Why don't you get divorced?

That should guarantee that you don't end up with any problems, including debts, in the future.

I agree about the divorce part but personal debts incurred solely by her would not become his liability if they were not in any way for joint or family purposes.

Edited by Liverpool Lou

On 6/17/2023 at 11:52 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

That should guarantee that you don't end up with any problems, including debts, in the future.

If you have any credit cards together or items bought with payments still outstanding then you are responsible for those debts.

Otherwise as far as I know, you can walk away and are not responsible for your wifes debts while still married in Thailand

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

I agree about the divorce part but personal debts incurred solely by her would not become his liability if they were not in any way for joint or family purposes.

Are you sure you would want to argue about that in Thai court?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Skallywag said:

If you have any credit cards together or items bought with payments still outstanding then you are responsible for those debts.

Otherwise as far as I know, you can walk away and are not responsible for your wifes debts while still married in Thailand

That reminds me of when the elder sister of my gf died. It seems she had borrowed some money from a local loan shark. It was recommended to me to better pay...

Would it be enforceable in a court of law? I guess not. But ...