5 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

And because she doesn't want to that's it?

What other choice is there?

I have a similar situation. We were married in the USA and never registered the marriage here in Thailand. My understanding is, in order to get a divorce we would need to first register our marriage here in Thailand. My wife will not register our marriage here. 

So please tell me how I'm supposed to get a divorce....

20 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:
21 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

I agree about the divorce part but personal debts incurred solely by her would not become his liability if they were not in any way for joint or family purposes.

Expand  

Are you sure you would want to argue about that in Thai court?

Whether I'd want to argue about it in court is beside the point, the fact is that her personal debts, incurred solely by her, would not become his liability if they were not in any way for joint or family purposes.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

On 6/18/2023 at 3:52 PM, dingdongrb said:

What other choice is there?

I have a similar situation. We were married in the USA and never registered the marriage here in Thailand. My understanding is, in order to get a divorce we would need to first register our marriage here in Thailand. My wife will not register our marriage here. 

So please tell me how I'm supposed to get a divorce....

Maybe go back to the USA and after a year file for divorce under abandonment?   

Wife would have to stay in Thailand for the year.

Have you talked to a lawyer in the USA? 

Interesting, never heard you have to register marriage in Thailand before a divorce in the USA

You're looking for others to give you advice on something you already know the answer to, and no one here feels or understands what you do. If this woman treats you well, and isn't causing your family a lot of money , you have to decide for yourself if this is what you want for the rest of your life together. A lot will tell you to leave because women have hurt them in some way and divorce is the easy way out, especially if you have no children, and the property means little. You do only live once, and if you came here asking others what to do, you're looking in the wrong place for a answer. A person who drinks a lot is either suffering from depression,  the drinking has become a habit for a long time, either because of that depression or abuse in their earlier life, or starting out young and drinking with friends to fit in (most of us). Either way, it's a habit for her and she only feels right when she is stoned. Substituting one drug for another can work, as one mentioned about weed, because at least with weed you won't drink drunk,and are usually mellow and in control, but it's still swapping one habit for another. trying to get her into AA here is probably impossible, and if she has friends that she drinks with, you can't get rid of them or she will be mad at you, and that won't stop the drinking anyway. You only can give her an ultimatum, stop or you have to go. I love you, but I can't see you this way, we don't do anything together because you're always wasted, and it's going to kill you eventually, although it can take a long time. Life IS way too short, and she can only help herself. You can give her a push, but she has to do this herself. As far as the divorcing, if  by Thai law, meaning you went to the US embassy, them amphur, you registered it, meaning the US will recognize this as a legal marriage, so you wouldn't be able to marry again until you finished this one here. Of course, if you have no intention to marry again, I guess you could just leave, because there isn't any alimony here, and you have no children to pay for. Think of what YOU really NEED, then decide, after talking to her when she is sober, what she will or won't do.

34 minutes ago, Skallywag said:

Maybe go back to the USA and after a year file for divorce under abandonment?   

Wife would have to stay in Thailand for the year.

Have you talked to a lawyer in the USA? 

Interesting, never heard you have to register marriage in Thailand before a divorce in the USA

I don't want to go back to the USA and create a residence there just in order to get a divorce. I have spoken to a couple different divorce attorneys both here in Thailand and the USA. The easiest and quickest way to get a divorce (uncontested) is to get one here in Thailand but in order to do that the marriage needs to be registered here.

I never said anything about needing to register the marriage here in order to get a divorce in the USA, you were making assumptions.