3rd visa exempt entry

I know the land border entries are limited to 2 per calendar year. But I was planning to fly to Kuala Lumpur, stay there a couple of days and then when I come back to Thailand, fly to Chiang Mai (instead of Bangkok). Visa exempt. I have been in Thailand since October last year, with no visa, only visa exempt and the extensions at the immigration office.

Would this work, or are they going to deny entry at the Chiang Mai airport?

"I have been in Thailand since October last year, with no visa, only visa exempt and the extensions at the immigration office"

If this will be your 3rd visa exempt, how could you possibly be in Thailand for 7-8 months on 2 visa exempt entries?

3 minutes ago, Pattaya57 said:

"I have been in Thailand since October last year, with no visa, only visa exempt and the extensions at the immigration office"

If this will be your 3rd visa exempt, how could you possibly be in Thailand for 7-8 months on 2 visa exempt entries?

2 visa exempt entries this year. Last year 2 as well

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, thaiasia said:

2 visa exempt entries this year. Last year 2 as well

You should have been clear in your OP 

So 4 visa exempt entries with extensions back to back and now going for a fifth.

Haven't bothered with a tourist visa.

You should have obtained a METV at the start.

CNX is always suggested as a soft entry.

Can't imagine how any io would allow you to enter again visa exempt with couple of days out of Thailand.

Try a couple of weeks/months out. 

If you have only used one visa exempt via land for this calendar year then try border bounce.

Definitely not entry via air

Edited by DrJack54
  • Confused 2
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

You should have been clear in your OP 

So 4 visa exempt entries with extensions back to back and now going for a fifth.

Haven't bothered with a tourist visa.

You should have obtained a METV at the start.

CNX is always suggested as a soft entry.

Can't imagine how any io would allow you to enter again visa exempt with couple of days out of Thailand.

Try a couple of weeks/months out. 

If you have only used one visa exempt via land for this calendar year then try border bounce.

Definitely not entry via air

I've used them both. 1 entry via land last year, and 2 this year as well. I guess it's time to head home ????

Edited by thaiasia
  • Haha 1

Just now, thaiasia said:

I've used them both. 2 entries via land last year, and 2 this year as well. I guess it's time to head home ????

Personally think you have been lucky.

At a guess perhaps border runs to Malaysia.

A 5th visa exempt very problematic.

You just state now 2 visa exempt via land last year and two this year.

That's 4.

How did you first enter Thailand.

You presumably arrived via air from somewhere.

What is total time spent in Thailand.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, DrJack54 said:

Personally think you have been lucky.

At a guess perhaps border runs to Malaysia.

A 5th visa exempt very problematic.

You just state now 2 visa exempt via land last year and two this year.

That's 4.

How did you first enter Thailand.

You presumably arrived via air from somewhere.

What is total time spent in Thailand.

I had to edit that post because last year there was only 1 land entry. Not 2. The first entry was when I flew to Suvarnabhumi from Finland.

Came here early October, so I have been here about 8 months.

While Immigration at Chiang Mai airport rarely denies visa exemptions, it has been known. If you were going to try to enter at either Bangkok airport, I would not fancy your chances at all. At Chiang Mai, you more likely than not would get away with it, but still a substantial risk.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

11 minutes ago, thaiasia said:

The first entry was when I flew to Suvarnabhumi from Finland.

Ok.

Depending on your location currently in Thailand you could consider best country to fly to and return. 

I would at very least have a plan B if refused entry on arrival you will be flown back to point of departure. 

I'm assuming Finnish citizens have visa exempt entry to countries such as Vietnam.

There are flights from Saigon to CNX

Edited by DrJack54
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Ok.

Depending on your location currently in Thailand you could consider best country to fly to and return. 

I would at very least have a plan B if refused entry on arrival you will be flown back to point of departure. 

I'm assuming Finnish citizens have visa exempt entry to countries such as Vietnam.

There are flights from Saigon to CNX (at least there was previously) .

I'm staying near Bangkok. I've never been to Vietnam so don't know the visa requirements but I've been to Malaysia before and no visa was required. My plan was to fly to Chiang Mai from Kuala Lumpur, but if that's a bad idea, then I think I'll just maybe stay in Malaysia for a while, and go back to Finland. 

I've been thinking about moving to a EU country anyway, because no visas are needed there at all.

EDIT: if they refuse entry, I would be flown back to Malaysia, and not to Finland where I'm from?

Edited by thaiasia

13 minutes ago, thaiasia said:

EDIT: if they refuse entry, I would be flown back to Malaysia, and not to Finland where I'm from?

Rule of thumb is flown back to place of departure.

You may be able to push for flown back to passport country. ie Finland.

I suggested Saigon as district 1 (tourist area) is a great place and the 109 direct bus to that area is 1usd and shortish drive compared to KL airport to city center.

Edit: just checked. Finnish citizens have 15 day visa exempt entry to Vietnam.

Also can obtain e-Visa for longer stays.

Not my business but surprised you haven't explored places in Asia other than couple of days out of Thailand. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Saigon said:

FYI, Bus #152 should still cost 5,000vnd (22cents),

cheaper than bus #109.

Have taken both.

Last visit in Feb I took the #152. 

I take whichever is leaving next.

"Cheaper" ...that's funny. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Arrived from Malaysia into Phuket last week and the amount of people in the "designated questionable area" I'll call it was packed full of "Tourists" and immigration officials asking various questions with what looked like a lot of refusals and heated discussions. 

16 minutes ago, thecyclist said:

So far no questions asked at Don Mueang and Suvarnaphumi. 

Why would there be an issue.

You are spending a month out of Thailand after short visits.

VERY different situation to the OP..

I came in on a third visa exempt and was told "Next time, you get visa in passport."
So I went to Manila and got a 60 day tourist visa with the plan to change it to a Non-O, but that's still in the works.
The Thai embassy in Manila is apparently difficult to get a tourist visa from (they wanted tons of information and financial backup from me, so maybe Vietnam is a better choice.
That being said, it's really down the IO on the day.
Bangkok seems to be notorious for getting sent back. Chiang Mai might be a better option.

Edited by FreddieMercury

17 minutes ago, FreddieMercury said:

I came in on a third visa exempt and was told "Next time, you get visa in passport."

The OP has already done 4 visa exempt entries back to back.

If he tries for a tourist visa imo would be issued void.

Also don't think he will have success with 5th visa exempt via air.

He even plans only couple of days out of Thailand.

He messed up with last land border bounce.

• Sad 1

45 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Only 3 visa exempt entries, not 4. And I am going to do it again. So this time will be the 4th.

I've only been outside Thailand for about 2,5 hours during these 8 months. First time for about 1.5 hours in Padang Besar, and the next 2 times in Laos, half an hour each time. I just had one beer (beerlao) on the Laos side, then headed back to Thailand. This time I was planning to stay in Kuala Lumpur overnight. Have to see ????

8 minutes ago, thaiasia said:

Only 3 visa exempt entries, not 4. And I am going to do it again. So this time will be the 4th.

12 minutes ago, thaiasia said:

I've only been outside Thailand for about 2,5 hours during these 8 months. First time for about 1.5 hours in Padang Besar, and the next 2 times in Laos, half an hour each time.

This has been discussed earlier.

Also 3 visa exempts plus extensions does not match up with your stated time spent in Thailand. 

One land entry last year plus two this year visa exempt. 

Plus one via air prior to that to enter Thailand? 

Seems like 4 already.

That would match with your stated dates. 

Now planning another. 

In the second part of another post you indicate  that you have only spent "hours out of Thailand in past 8 months.

IMO very little chance of entering Thailand via air visa exempt.

Especially with your planned ONE night stay out of Thailand. 

Surely this thread is not serious. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

44 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

This has been discussed earlier.

Also 3 visa exempts plus extensions does not match up with your stated time spent in Thailand. 

One land entry last year plus two this year visa exempt. 

Plus one via air prior to that to enter Thailand? 

Seems like 4 already.

That would match with your stated dates. 

Now planning another. 

In the second part of another post you indicate  that you have only spent "hours out of Thailand in past 8 months.

IMO very little chance of entering Thailand via air visa exempt.

Especially with your planned ONE night stay out of Thailand. 

Surely this thread is not serious. 

It is a serious thread. But then again, I wonder if it makes any sense to do this anymore. If I go to Finland, and come back to Thailand, say, January next year, would it be likely they let me enter without any issues? Obviously it would be better to get a tourist visa next time ????

4 hours ago, AgMech Cowboy said:

I can't comprehend why a perosn does not go get a proper tourist visa at Vientiane or Ho Chi Minh... So easy there, you just have to plan 'a little'.

I cannot comprehend why anyone would want a single entry tourist visa for a two to four week visit. Both HCMC and Vientiane require applications in person and with an appointment. Tourist visas in HCMC are no longer easy to get.

20 minutes ago, thaiasia said:

It is a serious thread. But then again, I wonder if it makes any sense to do this anymore. If I go to Finland, and come back to Thailand, say, January next year, would it be likely they let me enter without any issues? Obviously it would be better to get a tourist visa next time ????

It's jour pattern of staying in Thailand that's the issue especially thinking you can do that with back to back visa exempt entries.

Even if doing that by air your plan is one night stay in KL and back next day..

Not anyone's business why folk want the least time possible out of Thailand prior to reentry.

Two possibilities would be working or the love thing.

Suggest for next period of stay in Thailand have a clear plan and know what period of stay you are after.

That can mean combination of METV,SETV, Visa exempt entries along with extensions. 

The main thing you could also consider is time spent outside of Thailand. 

Many many wonderful places to visit. 

4 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

I see.
With mine, I was out for at least 3-4 weeks at a time as per Ubon Joe's recommendation.
I can see the dangers of in and out in a matter of days. He warned me about that.

• 5 months later...

Hi everyone, I left Thailand early July and have been in Finland since then. I was wondering if it's safe to fly back to Thailand now, after being away from Thailand for about 5 months. Considering that last time I was in Thailand for a longer period of time, what are the chances of being denied entry now? If they deny entry, they'd send me all the way back to Finland?

Would love to spend the New Year in Thailand !

I would fly from Helsinki to Suvarnabhumi, straight flight.

2 hours ago, thaiasia said:

Hi everyone, I left Thailand early July and have been in Finland since then. I was wondering if it's safe to fly back to Thailand now, after being away from Thailand for about 5 months. Considering that last time I was in Thailand for a longer period of time, what are the chances of being denied entry now? If they deny entry, they'd send me all the way back to Finland?

Would love to spend the New Year in Thailand !

I would fly from Helsinki to Suvarnabhumi, straight flight.

Hello, 

There should be no issues at all. You have spent 5 months out of Thailand which most definitely eliminates the "working in thailand without a visa" questioning. If you want to be safe, apply for a single entry tourist visa online (SETV). It is a quick process and very cheap to get, and it also helps with immigration since it is considered "stronger" than a visa exempt. 

I stayed 8 months last trip using 1 SETV + 2 visa exempt + 3 extensions. Stayed in Sweden for 5 months after that, got back in October with a SETV. Just stamped through without a word. 

Good luck and enjoy Thailand!

• Like 2