Titanic tourist sub goes missing in Atlantic Ocean, sparking search and rescue mission

Social Media

6 hours ago, Tug said:

Well if they picked it up why the big expensive dog and pony show?that beeing said I’m sure it was an excellent exercise for the response to a similar incident 

Because it was not confirmed that the sound source was the sub at that time.

Lets be honest people like to visit sights normally out of reach to most such as the Worlds most famouse shipwreck or Bismark or HMS Hood to see for themselves a famouse wreck. Why do people risk there life paying more for a seat on jeff Bezos Blue Origin the CEO of Tron perform reputedly paid 28 million for a trip to space. Your not talking 200k for a trip down to the titanic you pay millions for a seat on this for a view of the earth, People will risk there life for adventure like climbing Everest or going to Antartica where there lives at put at risk. Finally Felix Baumgartner jumped jumped from an altitude of 13 miles for an attempt to skydive record why ? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FruitPudding said:

Have any of you guys seen the video of the CEO talking about his hiring strategy?

He said he doesn't hire 50 year old white men cos they are not inspirational enough.

No joke.

I believe his disregard for safety, regulations and certifications was more a probable cause.

That and firing the guy who pointed out safety concerns, including the pressure rating of the viewing window and the failure to type test the design.

• Like 1

Painful lessons will be learened from this tradedy such as stricter regulations improved developments of deep sea exploration, New materials tested matisically for these dephs so people are safer but the risks will always be there. Debris from this Titan will be collected and investigated  as to why it imploded was it shoddy test and inspections on the hull integrity being carbon fibre or composit material was it NDT tested after every dive?. The only solace the familys will be thinking now is there lost ones were taken instantaniously and wouldnt have know what took them. Sadly there bodies will never be recovered and will stay on the bottom of the Atlantic with the 1.000 plus bodies of Titanic victims.

7 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

I believe his disregard for safety, regulations and certifications was more a probable cause.

That and firing the guy who pointed out safety concerns, including the pressure rating of the viewing window and the failure to type test the design.

Chomper there are no regulatory bodies for manned Submersibles there are bodies for safety of new aircraft and Ships and new road vehicles where they are rigourlesly tested sometimes to destruction but not submeribles for passengers.

37 minutes ago, BarraMarra said:

Chomper there are no regulatory bodies for manned Submersibles there are bodies for safety of new aircraft and Ships and new road vehicles where they are rigourlesly tested sometimes to destruction but not submeribles for passengers.

There are well established regulations and standards covering materials fabrication and testing of pressure vessels, and equipment subjected to pressure. Refer court case I linked earlier in the thread.

There are standards governing the design, selection, manufacturing and testing of control systems in critical safety service.

The comments made by the now deceased CEO regarding regulations, standards and safety are a matter of record, including court records.

Edited by Chomper Higgot

The DNV is an independent organization, described as the world's leading classification society for the maritime industry, which certifies vessels such as submersibles and issues regulations for such products. Sorry, Chomper you are correct i was wrong. Why was this craft even allowed in the water if it was not certified? and who should have stopped OceanGate from allowing paying passengers to enter it.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, bendejo said:

...And then the pressure experienced from the uncontrolled ascent to the surface is another risk...

The sub was at the surface pressure inside. That's the reason for the 15cm pressure hull. Nobody can breathe the air at 3800m, no SCUBA, no Trimix. Maybe some experimental oxygenated fluid, that does not exist commercially as yet.  

If they could surface, the problem would be to exit the sub as the hatch was bolted from outside. And without a beacon the sub would be impossible to locate on the surface.

4 hours ago, BarraMarra said:

The DNV is an independent organization, described as the world's leading classification society for the maritime industry, which certifies vessels such as submersibles and issues regulations for such products. Sorry, Chomper you are correct i was wrong. Why was this craft even allowed in the water if it was not certified? and who should have stopped OceanGate from allowing paying passengers to enter it.

No need for an apology but much appreciates anyway.

The reason the company were allowed to dodge certifications is because they are not compulsory.

The CEO’s attitude to standards, safety and regulation is a matter of public and court record.

Having himself died in the sub he won’t be putting anyone else at risk with his recklessness.

RIP his victims.

8 hours ago, FruitPudding said:

Have any of you guys seen the video of the CEO talking about his hiring strategy?

He said he doesn't hire 50 year old white men cos they are not inspirational enough.

No joke.

He didn't want anyone telling him NO. 

He only hired YES men, and now he's at the bottom of the ocean, 1,600 feet near Titanic wreck. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 6/22/2023 at 4:33 PM, scottiejohn said:

What has the depth of the submersible got to do with two devices less than 10ft apart connecting via Bluetooth?

On 6/22/2023 at 4:47 PM, James105 said:

Seriously?   So if the bluetooth chip gets fried or malfunctions in either the computer or the controller what is your plan to resolve this?  Keep spare components/tools in a sub that has barely enough room for the 5 people on board or the space to carry out even the smallest of maintenance tasks? 

Chips just don't get "fried" unless you put it in a microwave oven. Actually, the Logitech game controller they used is not Bluetooth, it has it's own 2.4MHz dongle. I have exactly the same and the connection is high speed and flowless within the 4m I have between my sofa and the TV.

In fact some subs and ROV are controlled by a game controllers. It's just convenient. Have all the buttons you'll ever need.

Don't understand why people would want to penalize Logitech for somebody using their tech. It's not like they sponsored the sub company.

71ZbsCIZ7NL._AC_SX679_.jpg

Edited by SpaceKadet
Added image

1 hour ago, SpaceKadet said:

Chips just don't get "fried" unless you put it in a microwave oven. Actually, the Logitech game controller they used is not Bluetooth, it has it's own 2.4MHz dongle. I have exactly the same and the connection is high speed and flowless within the 4m I have between my sofa and the TV.

In fact some subs and ROV are controlled by a game controllers. It's just convenient. Have all the buttons you'll ever need.

Don't understand why people would want to penalize Logitech for somebody using their tech. It's not like they sponsored the sub company.

And you would trust that system, knowing that any slight failure will cost you your life?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, SpaceKadet said:

Logitech is good gear but it is described as a gamepad.

I don't that the designers intended for it to control a submersible at 4000m depth somehow. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, SpaceKadet said:

"Fried" is just a term used to describe any kind of chip malfunction and if your controller malfunctions whilst sitting on your sofa then the consequences for you are quite minimal.  

The controller wasn't the cause of this but it was just a very visible pointer to the overall shoddy and hacky design of the sub.   The bigger issue was the hubris of the owner who deemed getting the sub certified to operate at those depths as not important and would just delay getting to launch.  

16 hours ago, stevenl said:

And you would trust that system, knowing that any slight failure will cost you your life?

14 hours ago, nauseus said:

Logitech is good gear but it is described as a gamepad.

I don't that the designers intended for it to control a submersible at 4000m depth somehow. 

41 minutes ago, James105 said:

"Fried" is just a term used to describe any kind of chip malfunction and if your controller malfunctions whilst sitting on your sofa then the consequences for you are quite minimal.  

The controller wasn't the cause of this but it was just a very visible pointer to the overall shoddy and hacky design of the sub.   The bigger issue was the hubris of the owner who deemed getting the sub certified to operate at those depths as not important and would just delay getting to launch.  

I know what "fried" means. It's when the electronic devices emit the blue magic smoke that drives them internally.:laugh::laugh:

By the same token, how would you trust commercially available control gear. It can fail just the same, and you don't carry spares. In this case they could easy carry an extra controller. Probably the worst thing that would happen was if they ran out of battery power in the controller.  I have owned many Logitech devices over the years. None has ever failed. I am typing this now on an Logitech RGB gaming keyboard. And, BTW, it's 2.4GHz and not MHz as I wrote in my post, brainfart. 

But it's still a fact the the sub was one big hack with everything. A YouTuber who was on the sub just days before the last dive was saying that they experienced problems with many things during the dive. Wonder what computer he used to control the sub. Or maybe it was an X-box. 

1 hour ago, SpaceKadet said:

By the same token, how would you trust commercially available control gear. It can fail just the same, and you don't carry spares. In this case they could easy carry an extra controller.

Sure, but if I walked onto an airplane and discovered the only method of controlling the plane the pilot had was a wireless Logitech gaming controller (rather than the established tried and tested controls) I guarantee you that I am walking straight back off again.