Currency Transfer Using Wise.com

I just completed a "Send Money" request.  The process has been dramatically expanded in proving who you are.  Once you go through the preliminary input screens such as "from which account to use as funding source", "how much and into which currency", they then require you to prove who you are.  You need to have your ID (for us in Thailand, passport most likely ) and then use your smart phone to get an email from Wise to set up taking a picture of your ID and then a selfie of yourself.  Once they accept the two inputs (taking a complete picture of the ID page of the Passport and a picture of your complete face (this took me 3 tries), they process the information and if acceptable, they continue the "send Money" process of clicking on the "Reason for the Transfer" and re-entering your Password.  Once that is successful, Wise goes off to assess and to make sure this is a valid request and the person sending is really you.  They then send you an email confirming the document you sent them , ala ID and Password.

Something that before took about 2-3 minutes to complete, took me a good 20-25 minutes.

• Haha 1

All the described procedures I did ONCE when registering my WISE account. Completely normal as all financial institutions have to carefully identify their customers.

Since then no more such.

I should mention that I always transfer from the WISE "bank" account to the ever same account at Bangkok bank in my name.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Has the OP changed the country he is in?

I have a WISE account, use it when I am in Thailand bringing money from Australia. In Australia, I found I had to go through the verification process again to send money. I said stuff it, I'll wait until I get back to Thailand.

Happened to me as well last week, it is I believe on account of the browser being refreshed, loss of cookies. Only took me 3 minutes to establish my identity. I believe my situation was caused by a security update to the Safari browser on my MacOS computer. If I would have placed the transfer via the APP on my phone probably wouldn't have been an issue.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chivas said:

I'd say it was the first time using Wise and standards checks were being made because of it

If this was your first time with WISE, how could you then say that before only took 2-3 minutes in comparizon??

• Like 1

See, some people come to the conclusion that I am just a newbie to Wise!

I have had an account with them for over two years.  This new security process was a surprise, so I was just trying to inform all of this significant change in the process.

I'll have to see what happens on my next request which will happen in July.

26 minutes ago, fceligoj said:

I have had an account with them for over two years.  This new security process was a surprise, so I was just trying to inform all of this significant change in the process.

Thanks for clarifying that. I was getting a little confused by all these conflicting posts. I'll have my passport to hand next time around, just in case. ????

Normally for the first timers you need to get All the Info they ask for .then it's easy ones you are accepted.

I used Wise for a few years now  sometimes for the bigger transfers they ask for an Bank statement  ,the bank will send one within 24 hrs no probs.

Had an other company they ask every 3 years to update All the information .

It's all an protection for money Laundering.  Some hoops one must jump true sometimes.

• Like 1

I had a request  from Wise for ID and face recognition the other week whilst I was down in Cambodia staying in a hotel when I made a transfer instead of my usual home address in Thailand.

I provided it, it said it matched and sent the money in minutes.

• Thumbs Up 1

Wise App on my iPhone. After initial setup with security needs satisfied, then the banking info. once set up ... once a month they take directly the amount I request from my US bank and transfer it directly into my Bangkok Bank Account. Matter of minutes. I have used the monthly income method since retiring here in 2011.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fceligoj said:

See, some people could have come to the conclusion you were having a beginners need to go through what you did, as you didn't tell us you are a seasoned user.

7 hours ago, foreverlomsak said:

Absolutely no problems on Sunday night, no additional proofs required other than enter password again, but I do have an account with them, assume op hasn't from the requirements (sounds similar to requirements to obtain an account, not just send money).

Used again this morning again exactly same process,

ID

Password

Send Money

where from (Wise - a little delay here compared to Sunday evening)

how much

where to

confirm details

reconfirm password

Gone

took a whole 2 seconds longer to reach my account though. 

• Like 1

I’ve been using Wise for years (from U.S. bank). For smaller transfers it usually takes under 10 seconds for the transfer to be made.

I just did a Wise transfer this morning, and I was asked to verify my identity. They asked for a photo of my ID. I took a photo of my passport and it said something like ‘sorry, copies are not accepted. Must be original document’. It was my actual passport. It took 3 tries and finally was accepted. It then asked for a ‘selfie’. An oval window appeared on my phone and it asked that I frame my face in the oval, which I did. It kept asking me to move closer, closer, closer and it automatically captured the picture, which it rejected because it was out of focus (too close). After several attempts, moving to different lighting conditions, moving ‘closer’, it finally captured a picture it accepted. It then said it needed to be verified and should be verified later today. About 10 minutes later I got an email saying it was accepted and the transfer went through.

Very annoying, and a bit stressful not knowing if the process was going to be completed.

Like I said. I’ve used Wise for years and transfers have taken seconds. I hope this process isn’t repeated next time I do a transfer. It went from an easy, fast and reliable process to a very stressful process not knowing if I would be ‘accepted’.

• Like 1

I kind of remember years ago trying to make a transfer when on a trip from a different computer and had that request. I didn't have time so I closed the app and waited until I got home. No problem. Is it a random check or did they notice the request coming from a different computer, IP.

In light of the OP subsequently stating he'd had the account for couple years than clearly he was red flagged for any myriad of reasons and they wanted to run a check

I had similar couple years ago on Revolut after I had used it for some random crypto purchases

19 hours ago, fceligoj said:

Same as you, fceligo, I have had an account with Wise for years and no problem, but  a week ago I was asked to submit ID and Selfie to verify my account before they would do transfer. Took me a week to figure it out since I do not normally use a cell phone (use computer). Once I understood what they wanted I was able to submit the documents and received verification notice within a hour.  

2 hours ago, elfpattaya said:

Are the people having problems using the phone app or a PC/Mac?

I was originally going to do the transfer on my Mac, but when I saw the ‘new’ verification page I did not complete the transfer, instead going to my phone to see if that would go easier. Which it did not. Same Mac and same phone from same location I’ve been doing transfers.

I’ve been in Thailand for 44 months now, and I have sent money from my US account to my Bangkok Bank account every month since I’ve arrived. I went to send money last night and encountered this same situation. That has never happened before. I took the passport photo and then the selfie, no problem, and my money, according to Wise, is supposed to arrive sometime today.  I appreciate the added security, but it was a first, and nothing about my situation has changed to prompt new security features. It must be just their way of doing business now. 

I sent some money again this morning stupid not to at this rate and used the app rather than desktop

Top of left hand corner I had a red dot not seen before clicked on it and was presented with what the opening post was seeing reference updating details starting with a selfie

Backed out and went to desktop where nothing was required and monies dispatched as normal

On the desktop though as per screenshot the Green "Request money" icon has disappeared leaving just "send money" icon

Looks like the opening post was spot on

Screenshot 2023-06-24 at 09-50-20 Wise Online Money Transfers International Banking Features.png