British Embassy Affirmation of Residence

13 hours ago, OJAS said:

Out of curiosity did the Aussie Embassy provide this service at one time? If so, did they publicise its withdrawal to you and your compatriots in the way that their

That is the problem unless you go to their site's you never know what's new, as now this year, one no longer need to go in person for a new passport, only here does one find out. 

The more threads I read about immigration hassles the more pleased I am that I chose Phuket as my second home. I know many on here detest the place and that's their prerogative, but I've always found that the immigration offices (all three of them) seem to be efficient and consistent in their interpretation of the rules. Maybe that's because there are so many "customers" here?

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, London Lowf said:

The more threads I read about immigration hassles the more pleased I am that I chose Phuket as my second home

Read thread heading.

It concerns UK embassy no longer providing confirmation of residence. 

Along with Oz and USA and some others. 

Phuket is one office of 75. 

9 hours ago, Greenhill said:

The British Embassy here in TH are mainly concerned with promoting LBGTQ+ (or similar), issues.   they don't have time for much else!!!!????

As I have already intimated, I believe that their main focus as far as we expat Brits are concerned is, in fact, on making our lives here in LOS just as difficult and miserable as they humanly can be, regardless of our sexual orientation!

Edited by OJAS
  • Sad 1

17 minutes ago, London Lowf said:

The more threads I read about immigration hassles the more pleased I am that I chose Phuket as my second home. I know many on here detest the place and that's their prerogative, but I've always found that the immigration offices (all three of them) seem to be efficient and consistent in their interpretation of the rules. Maybe that's because there are so many "customers" here?

More to the point as regards this particular thread, how are Phuket when it comes to issuing residency certificates? Do they issue them free of charge and without the need for any "special requirements" to be met, as they are supposed to?

10 minutes ago, London Lowf said:

Apart from the usual passport copies, all they wanted was a printed TM30. I'm on a TR60 visa.

That's fine...and many offices will accept a TM30.

From the OP earlier...

"Speaking of residency certificates at CW, do we need to take along evidence of TM30, or just latest 90 day report?" 

The OP is dealing with CW and as a result requires a confirmation from embassy OR certificate of residence from immigration.

TM30 will not cut it

On 6/23/2023 at 5:48 PM, BritTim said:

The British embassy in Bangkok has been carefully discontinuing pretty much all services of use to its citizens, except emergency passports for return to the UK. The UK authorities seem to hate its expats.

Fact is the British Government don't like the British, just take a look at what is going on in the UK. The trouble is it will only get worse when a Labour Government comes to power.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 6/23/2023 at 9:44 PM, DrJack54 said:

It's part of living in Thailand.

I go with the flow.

Most I have seen posted is 500b.

Can't recall the immigration office.

CW is 200b and it's mailed out EMS. 

Cannot receive same day. 

I got the certificate from one stop chamchuri sq. I could not go to CW.

NOTE: they say you have to go to the office that issued your visa.

The one stop service gave me the certificate. 

Must have 90 day report.

It cost 500 baht there, no receipt.

It takes about one hour.

On 6/23/2023 at 5:48 PM, BritTim said:

The British embassy in Bangkok has been carefully discontinuing pretty much all services of use to its citizens, except emergency passports for return to the UK. The UK authorities seem to hate its expats.

The British Embassy has never had much in the way of services for expats, that was the responsibility of the British Consulate within the embassy. A few years back on the pretence of cost cutting primary consular services were moved to India which closed down the visa dept in the consulate.

Since then the remaining services have been quietly discontinued. If you look at the consular fees, the highest fee number is 22 but there are only 9 fees currently active. This would  indicate that at least 13 services have disappeared.

The UK authorities have nothing against expats per se, they are against anything relating to immigration or migration. The writing was on the wall when they got into bed with VFS some years ago.

On saying that I have to say that when I got caught up in the passport fiasco in 2014 the embassy staff stepped up to the plate and in the nick of time prevented an ETD being required. Somehow I doubt the same support would be availabe today.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Brickleberry said:

Or, you could look at it another way.

The embassy is helping us because, if all of the foreign embassies refuse to do something, the requirement will be lifted. Such as pension letters - now you have to stick a large sum in the bank, or show bank transfers. Much easier than booking flights to BKK, embassy reservations and of course all the expense and time that you lose for a piece of paper.

Remember when the embassies stopped issuing covid letters? The regulations from immigration changed just as quickly.

We never had to fly to Bangkok for the income letter from the British embassy. It was all done by mail.

Granted it did cost 52 GBP as apposed to free service I now provide myself by preparing the paperwork to prove my income, so I'll concede you that point.

On 6/24/2023 at 5:39 PM, brianthainess said:

That is the problem unless you go to their site's you never know what's new, as now this year, one no longer need to go in person for a new passport, only here does one find out. 

Oh really? That's good.

I thought we had to go to the Trendy building on Soi 13 in person.

How do we do it now?

21 minutes ago, FruitPudding said:

Oh really? That's good.

I thought we had to go to the Trendy building on Soi 13 in person.

How do we do it now?

Sorry but I was referring to an Australian Passport (they have never used Trendy. ) all done on-line through the post now Apparently. UK you can use an agency last I heard about 5k.:unsure: edit. You have never HAD to attend unlike the Ozzy one before you could NOT use an agent.

Edited by brianthainess

• 9 months later...

I live 120km from the nearest Immigration office and 3 hours driving and an hours flight from Bangkok. I recently applied for a yellow book. Took along my landlady her daughter. Lease passport translated by a notary. Wasn't good enough I was told you must get the British Embassy to stamp it. Nevermind I have been doing 90 day reports had letters from immigration who knows exactly where I am it has to be the Embassy who don't know Diddly squat about where I live. So I have to drive 120km to Udon Airport fly to the new airport get a taxi to and pay for a hotel etc etc...how messed up in the head are these peop

24 minutes ago, Tanlic said:

I live 120km from the nearest Immigration office and 3 hours driving and an hours flight from Bangkok. I recently applied for a yellow book. Took along my landlady her daughter. Lease passport translated by a notary. Wasn't good enough I was told you must get the British Embassy to stamp it. Nevermind I have been doing 90 day reports had letters from immigration who knows exactly where I am it has to be the Embassy who don't know Diddly squat about where I live. So I have to drive 120km to Udon Airport fly to the new airport get a taxi to and pay for a hotel etc etc...how messed up in the head are these peop

You can send your passport to uk embassy in Bangkok via EMS.

and get certified copy of your passport.

you can then send that to be translated and stamped vis Ministry of foreign affairs . you do not need to go there.

have a look at uk embassy Website Thailand and then goggle agents in Bangkok to do the translation and MOFA stamp.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/notarial-and-documentary-services-guide-for-thailand#certified-copy-of-a-british-passport

Edited by quake

1 hour ago, quake said:

You can send your passport to uk embassy in Bangkok via EMS.

So much, then, for HMPO's apparent justification for the bureaucratic nonsense we Brits locally have been required to endure these past 10 years or so at passport renewal time (necessitating 2 physical trips an office building in Bangkok or Chiang Mai where VFS are currently hanging out in), on the grounds that we're supposed to have our passports on us at all times! 🤣

2 hours ago, OJAS said:

So much, then, for HMPO's apparent justification for the bureaucratic nonsense we Brits locally have been required to endure these past 10 years or so at passport renewal time (necessitating 2 physical trips an office building in Bangkok or Chiang Mai where VFS are currently hanging out in), on the grounds that we're supposed to have our passports on us at all times! 🤣

We all know what HMPO and VFS are.

But forum rules prevent us from using the real words to describe, what they are. :jap: