Who is responsible for the balcony railing on a condo?

6 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

that wasn't the question, it was whether you can't sell unless any changes are removed. Usually office just issues debt free letter, maybe they withhold that

Selling is often impossible. Many "farang" owned condos end up abandoned.

I have seen exterior metal fittings disintegrated in 12 years. Rust never sleeps

Sometimes to properly repair a balcony steel railing they have to jackhammer into the concrete and remove old rebar and redo entire thing....not so easy to do and in usa at least for sure it is common area  as are all exterior walls etc....of course not sure in thailand but would be wise to find out for sure before start repair work as it may result in having to redo it all or getting fined etc.

23 minutes ago, Captain Monday said:

Selling is often impossible. Many "farang" owned condos end up abandoned.

I have seen exterior metal fittings disintegrated in 12 years. Rust never sleeps

Maybe true of poorly maintained condos where things are falling apart and building on and changing balconies is the norm

11 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

If the building is registered as a condominium it is a juristic person.

Ecxectly. The post I replied to said something like the op couldn't find out didn't know who the juristic person is. My reply was supposed to make it clear.

13 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

that wasn't the question, it was whether you can't sell unless any changes are removed. Usually office just issues debt free letter, maybe they withhold that

Look at the comment I was responding to before you make unnecessary jibes.

Thanks to everyone for their considered responses. I certainly have a clearer idea of the path forward.

For clarification the balcony balustrade is made of soft wood and has considerably rotted on many units.

We do not have a committee or AGM. I guess that the Juristic person is the entity that we pay our maintenace fees to. The human face of this entity is somewhat remote, ie rarely visits the condo block.

We will endeavour to contact this entity to highlight the problem and work towards an agreeable resolution.

Of the approx 75 units about half are owned by the person to whom we pay the maintenace fees and I would estimate that about a third of the other owners do not pay their maintenace fees and have not visited their unit for many years.

Thanks again.