Hundreds of migrants rescued off Canary Islands

Social Media

image.png

At least 227 migrants were rescued off Spain's Canary Islands on Thursday, officials say, a day after reported deaths of more than 30 migrants there.

Emergency services say the Coast Guard saved the migrants travelling on inflatable boats near the Lanzarote and Gran Canaria islands in the Atlantic.

A number of them were taken to hospital to be treated for a "mild condition".

On Wednesday, two charities said more than 30 migrants may have drowned after their dinghy sank off Gran Canaria.

Spanish authorities said rescue workers found the bodies of a minor and a man, and rescued 24 other people.

However, the charities - Walking Borders and Alarm Phone - said about 60 people had been on board.

Helena Maleno Garzon, from Walking Borders, said 39 people had drowned, including four women and a baby, while Alarm Phone said 35 people were missing.

FULL STORY

bbc-logo.jpg

15 hours ago, lungbing said:

That still doesn't make us responsible for them.  Perhaps a lower birth rate and less corruption in their home countries would help.

The venality of much of African leadership is indeed criminal, but most of the population is too busy trying to put food on the table to put much thought into overthrowing their government. And I don’t know anything about family planning initiatives in Africa, but obviously more needs to be done.

As for responsibility, I tend to think of borders and the countries they define as purely political structures, and as such they play no part in our obligations toward each other as human beings. Practically speaking, of course, suddenly opening all borders would quickly bankrupt the Global North, but as a gradual, long-term process, it makes sense. Europe is a good model: right now, you can get in a car in Lisbon and drive all the way to Tallinn without once having to stop and pull out a passport. Thirty years ago, this would have been unthinkable, and eighty years ago it would have been a lunatic idea.

1 hour ago, billd766 said:

YOU might think that but many other people do not.

The UK government, NOT the Royal family, have the responsibility for the people of the UK.

For every illegal immigrant that reaches the UK, and they are all illegal as they have no visa, costs the UK government money, which means that there is less and less money available to support the people of the UK.

The illegals are coming from everywhere outside of the UK and the EU. If conditions in their own countries are so bad, why don't they stay there and do something about it instead of quitting and leaching off other countries.

It seems you don't understand my post unfortunately.

Considering that a man got a hat with stolen diamonds not even sheltering from rain, which festival cost more than half a million, spent by tax payer's money.....why there is no money to help those exploited people, exploited by the hatter in former centuries.

If you get no job, no education, and get no food or shelter.......of course you'll try it in a better world, unless the rich countries will pay their debts investing in infrastructure, in education, in development.

To change the conditions in their home country they need education, freedom (of speech) equal rights and no corruption.

I suppose you'll agree that this will not come from heaven??

With better conditions for life nobody would leave.

And one thing: not all migrants try to enter Europe because of economic reasons, there are a lot of real asylum seeker, who will have the right to stay according to Genever convention.

the 500 million would have been better spent to help African countries or Middle East.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

I suggest the usual suspects quell their rage against migrants and save some of their rage energy for the future.

Climate change is going to drive a lot more human migration, don’t burn yourself out too early, you’ve got a lot more migration to be outraged over on the way.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Mr Derek said:

This little thread encapsulates the entire problem: its the bleeding hearts, the guilt-ridden, and the anti-whites - in other words, those thinking with their emotions - versus reason and common sense. 

Oh look another one of those accusation confession things.

50 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

I suggest the usual suspects quell their rage against migrants and save some of their rage energy for the future.

Climate change is going to drive a lot more human migration, don’t burn yourself out too early, you’ve got a lot more migration to be outraged over on the way.

The population in Africa currently is 1.4 billion and is expected to increase to 2.5 billion by 2050.   Considering the problems that Africa currently has with poverty, adding an extra 1.1 billion people into the mix is going to cause a lot more poverty and drive human migration.   So unless climate change is responsible for such a population increase I really don't think that will be the major cause of increased illegal migration.   

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, James105 said:

The population in Africa currently is 1.4 billion and is expected to increase to 2.5 billion by 2050.   Considering the problems that Africa currently has with poverty, adding an extra 1.1 billion people into the mix is going to cause a lot more poverty and drive human migration.   So unless climate change is responsible for such a population increase I really don't think that will be the major cause of increased illegal migration.   

Ah, so you don’t understand how climate change might impact the supply of food for populations of any size.

Edited by Chomper Higgot

1 hour ago, newbee2022 said:

Don't play the innocent. You now better how rich people including the King and cronies in UK earned their wealth. Many by trading, yes. But trading slaves.!

Again with the blanket assertions.  Dates, times, numbers, or else it is all just puffery.

You might also consider the steps the Royal Navy took to END the slave trade, and the thousands of British sailors who died in the attempt.  

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, James105 said:

It's not just a "population of any size" though is it and I am not sure you appreciate the scale of the increase.  That is the equivalent of every single human currently living in the whole of Europe plus the entire population of the USA added to the 1.4 billion already living there. 

There is a crisis coming, but that would be due to the unsustainable population increase if nothing is done to address it.   Considering the impact that each human is said to have on the climate I'm surprised Greta hasn't mentioned it.   

It’s a forecast, with no reference to where you dragged it out of.

Oh and I see your Greta fixation got the better of you.

Edited by Chomper Higgot
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

It’s a forecast, with no reference to where you dragged it out of.

Oh and I see your Greta fixation got the better of you.

Should you actually wish to take your head out of the sand and see the data you can get it here.

https://www.worldometers.info/world-population/africa-population/

The predictions are based on historical percentage increases, so unless something fundamentally changes then by 2050 Africa will have added the equivalent of the population of Europe and the USA to its numbers.      An impossible number to feed and provide a good quality of life for in a region that has historically suffered from droughts and poverty before climate change became a thing.    

• Like 2

3 hours ago, James105 said:

Should you actually wish to take your head out of the sand and see the data you can get it here.

https://www.worldometers.info/world-population/africa-population/

The predictions are based on historical percentage increases, so unless something fundamentally changes then by 2050 Africa will have added the equivalent of the population of Europe and the USA to its numbers.      An impossible number to feed and provide a good quality of life for in a region that has historically suffered from droughts and poverty before climate change became a thing.    

I see you are not disputing my argument that climate change will increase migration.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1