Requirements for a Retired expat to buy a vehicle

I have never purchased a vehicle in Thailand before as all our previous vehicles were purchased in my Thai wife's name.

However I am now wanting to buy a vehicle in my name so I would like to ask, what are the requirements and things I must do to make that happen? 

I have read somewhere that I must obtain a Certificate of Residency from Thai Immigration, is that true? I ask this because when I did my 90 reporting the other day I made a request about getting the CoR to the IO stating that I was wanting to buy a vehicle. The IO said that I first must go to the Thai division of Transportation and obtain some sort of letter from them and then take that letter to Immigration to get the CoR.

I guess I am confused as I never heard about this or perhaps the IO misunderstood what I was wanting to do. 

What is this letter all about and what does it state?

Can someone who has bought a vehicle before please reply with the exact things I need to do in order to buy a vehicle? Thanks in advance.

NOTE: Financing is not needed.

In Dec 2020 I had to show deposit receipt from Toyota to get a certificate of residency from Jomtein immigration. I did not have to do anything with department of land transportation. Toyota handled name transfer but they needed the COR.

4 hours ago, Henryford said:

In Pattaya i have never needed this letter to get a CoR from Immigration. Just went to IO and asked for a CoR.

Erm....  ok....  Useful info for the Op that...   I don't think such a letter is required Timbuktu either (I think that makes the point)...

Perhaps someone who has successfully obtained their CoR from the Surin Province can assist. 

Anyway - Op... This is not a show-stopper. 

Step one is purchasing the Car. 

You will receive a receipt of ownership.

Assuming it a 'new car' - the car will be on red plates until its registered in your name. 

You only need the CoR for the registration process (no to purchase). 

15 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Just proof of residence form (CoR) from  IO, which apparently has been for & answered by OP, so needs the DLT letter.   First I ever heard of that also.

On this forum I have read of this requirement from other posters (I can't remember the province). 

It would seem this just another pointless layer of paperwork that some provinces adopt and others have no such requirement. 

Ultimately, it'll just take a little extra leg-work for the Op... to get the receipt of purchase (car), go to DLT and ask them for a letter asking Immigration for the CoR.

Isn't CoR needed for reasons other than just buying a car? I don't recall being asked why I needed a CoR when I got them in the past. True, my memory is not the greatest. For a TM30, for example. The IO officer might also not have his info correct and putting the cart before the horse.

1 hour ago, cranki said:

Just photocopy your yellow book and sign....no need for CoR from immigration.

Guessing OP doesn't have, or he wouldn't be asking about CoR.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thumbs Up 1

When I got my last car from Toyota all they wanted was proof of address/passport. I had a yellow book so that sufficed. But you can get proof of address from Immigration. Takes around 10 min. My local I/O charges 300 BHT for same. I required one to get my new D/License a couple of months ago. Toyota did the rest. I just gave them a B/Draft for the monies on the day I picked it up. Simple.

Edited by fredob43

You would think you could just use your Thai drivers license, which you needed a residence certificate to obtain.  It has your address on the back side.  

But that would be too easy.

• Thumbs Up 1

To Register at Department of Land Transport;

1. Passport (copies, non-immigrant visa, work permit)

2. Residence certificate or Yellow book

3. ALL documents about new car from the car-dealer, photocopies too

3a. private sellers: Vehicle ownership booklet (car Blue book), foreigners>Passport copy and signature(blue ink), thais>National ID copy and signature(blue ink)

Thai official Love photo copies.

You can own a car without Thai driving license.

Smart move to register in Your Own Name.

Wish You All The Best!

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, rwill said:

You would think you could just use your Thai drivers license, which you needed a residence certificate to obtain.  It has your address on the back side.  

But that would be too easy.

COR is confirmation of your immigration status, which your license cant prove.

In theory, you need to be on some sort of visa/extension to own a car.

• Confused 1

An international driving license is accepted as long as it is valid, but a foreign license is not accepted in Thailand. If you have non-immigrant visa, or work permit, you should obtain a Thai Driver's License. Photocopy your valid international driving license, get residency certificate and go to your local Department of Land Transport. Easy way to get Thai Driver's License

GoodLuck

On 6/25/2023 at 1:20 PM, bamboozled said:

Isn't CoR needed for reasons other than just buying a car? I don't recall being asked why I needed a CoR when I got them in the past. True, my memory is not the greatest. For a TM30, for example. The IO officer might also not have his info correct and putting the cart before the horse.

When I got my CoR I was asked what it was for (to get a Tax Identification Number) & was told that I could only use it for that purpose, if I needed one for another purpose (e.g. Buying a Car) then I would have to get a new one. 

As an aside, it seems a CoR is needed to open a bank account (at least in Pattaya / Bangkok) nowadays

16 minutes ago, SoSoCNX said:

An international driving license is accepted as long as it is valid, but a foreign license is not accepted in Thailand. If you have non-immigrant visa, or work permit, you should obtain a Thai Driver's License. Photocopy your valid international driving license, get residency certificate and go to your local Department of Land Transport. Easy way to get Thai Driver's License

GoodLuck

OP is asking about buying a car, not getting a license. You don't actually need a license to own a car.

No such thing as an International driving License. An International Driving "Permit" (its not a license) is a document that "accompanies" your home country license.

1 minute ago, Peterw42 said:

OP is asking about buying a car, not getting a license. You don't actually need a license to own a car.

No such thing as an International driving License. An International Driving "Permit" (its not a license) is a document that "accompanies" your home country license.

Some members Ask About Driver's License requirements prior buying vehicle?  If you have a problem with my reposonse, Report it to ther moderator  or Get a life

• Like 1

I bought a new Nissan at the dealership in Phuket  a few months ago. I needed to hand over a COR, my passport to be copied, and signed some papers.

I paid for it on the spot by scanning their QR with my SCB bank app. I had to temporarily change my app settings to allow me to transfer a large sum - the default is something like 50,000 baht and changed it to 1 million. 

About 30 minutes later I drove away the car with red plates away. A few weeks later the while plates came in and I went back to have the plates changed (and got a plate deposit of 2,000 baht back). 

On 6/24/2023 at 5:42 PM, richard_smith237 said:

You can buy a car, you need a Certificate of Residence to have the car registered in your name.

Your IO is being awkward, most just give the CoR on request. 
But, I have read that some can be difficult & need a DLT request. 
Thus, choose you car etc… get receipt of deposit etc go to DLT request letter asking for Certificate of Address, the go to immigration & get it.

Or.. just try again at immigration and see how you get on.

Where was it ? - that info may help with the advice. 

Spot on advice. Unusual for Immigration to ask for a DLT request letter.

34 minutes ago, natway09 said:

I presume purchasing a new car from a reliable dealer.

Just go buy it, a good showroom will do all the groundwork for you

I personally know somebody who got a driving licence thrown in when he bought a new toyota pick up a few years ago. The Toyota manager had a friend at the DLT 

27 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

I personally know somebody who got a driving licence thrown in when he bought a new toyota pick up a few years ago. The Toyota manager had a friend at the DLT 

Unfortunately that practice is not viable these days at the DLT. Quite stringent rules these days.

6 minutes ago, couchpotato said:

Unfortunately that practice is not viable these days at the DLT. Quite stringent rules these days.

As always in Thailand its "who you know", and  not "what you think you know" even nowadays. There is the occasional exception, but strangely I have always found the adage particularly relevant when dealing with any of people who wear beige uniforms

Buying a Ford in Bangkok. 

Need certificate of residence, passport showing extension of stay and transfer money to dealer for the car.

Dealer handled all the paperwork except I got the certificate of residence at CW and I got my extension of stay at CW. 

On 6/25/2023 at 1:20 PM, bamboozled said:

for getting a drivers license & opening a bank account one is needed 

Edited by zzzzz
  • Like 1