Future of UK fossil fuels at stake in test case

Social Media

19 hours ago, Bandersnatch said:

My battery pack is made up of battery modules that can be replaced individually, so you don't need to replace the whole pack over a few damaged cells. The battery has an 8 year 80% warranty. I have driven it for 2 years and have lost 1km of range.  

That's a better way of doing it than what is apparently the norm. However, many people drive cars well over 8 years old. My last car was over 30 years old before I had to stop using it. I'm not going to pay large for a car that needs expensive batteries replaced and apparently not many others do either.

Unless a better way can be found, seems like there will be a mountain of battery cars that are unwanted heading for landfill.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Everything gets cheaper the more it is available. I'm not talking about now.

How about using solar power on sea water?

Not economic. When I make power from my solar system to put in my electric car there is some small efficiency loss due to the inversion process and DC to AC to DC conversion, but over 90% of the energy ends up in my car. 

With current electrolyzers, green hydrogen's efficiency is around 30%, which means 70% of the renewable energy put into producing green hydrogen is lost across the full cycle of production and use.

https://www.cleanegroup.org/wp-content/uploads/Five-Reasons-to-be-Concerned-About-Green-Hydrogen.pdf

42 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

BTW did you know that nuclear submarines use sea water to produce O2? No other way to stay submerged for months.

Again not economic. Nuclear reactors for submarines are crazy expensive. That’s why nuclear submarines cost $Billions

https://www.afr.com/politics/federal/warning-that-nuclear-submarines-could-cost-10b-each-20221124-p5c148

8 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

Again not economic. Nuclear reactors for submarines are crazy expensive. That’s why nuclear submarines cost $Billions

Guess you missed the bit where I suggested using solar on land. Bit difficult using solar on a submarine, but not many submarines on land.

Again, I'm not talking about now.

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

many people drive cars well over 8 years old

Your TV has a one year warranty but you don’t need to replace it every year!

Stuff lasts longer than the manufacturer’s warranty. Tesla Roadsters from 2008 are still running.

I am bored explaining stuff to you - adding you to my blocked list

3 hours ago, Bandersnatch said:

Your TV has a one year warranty but you don’t need to replace it every year!

Stuff lasts longer than the manufacturer’s warranty. Tesla Roadsters from 2008 are still running.

I am bored explaining stuff to you - adding you to my blocked list

Hurrah. Bye bye.

14 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

That's a better way of doing it than what is apparently the norm. However, many people drive cars well over 8 years old. My last car was over 30 years old before I had to stop using it. I'm not going to pay large for a car that needs expensive batteries replaced and apparently not many others do either.

Unless a better way can be found, seems like there will be a mountain of battery cars that are unwanted heading for landfill.

I've got some good news for you which I've reported elsewhere but you seem to have missed:

Electric Car Batteries Lasting Longer Than Predicted Delays Recycling Programs

"Electric cars have sophisticated battery management systems that guard the long-term health of their batteries. Most manufacturers offer battery warranties of seven or eight years or around 100,000 miles of driving, but there’s an industry expectation that EV batteries will last longer than that; they should outlive the cars themselves."

https://www.forbes.com/sites/carltonreid/2022/08/01/electric-car-batteries-lasting-longer-than-predicted-delays-recycling-programs/?sh=6820966a5332

• Like 1

On 7/21/2023 at 3:37 AM, placeholder said:

I've got some good news for you which I've reported elsewhere but you seem to have missed:

Electric Car Batteries Lasting Longer Than Predicted Delays Recycling Programs

"Electric cars have sophisticated battery management systems that guard the long-term health of their batteries. Most manufacturers offer battery warranties of seven or eight years or around 100,000 miles of driving, but there’s an industry expectation that EV batteries will last longer than that; they should outlive the cars themselves."

https://www.forbes.com/sites/carltonreid/2022/08/01/electric-car-batteries-lasting-longer-than-predicted-delays-recycling-programs/?sh=6820966a5332

If the batteries last longer than the cars, the cars must be <deleted>.

With modern rust proofing methods a car should last decades. I was still driving a 30 year old car when I decided I needed a larger car. I still see same cars of the same age driving around.

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

If the batteries last longer than the cars, the cars must be <deleted>.

With modern rust proofing methods a car should last decades. I was still driving a 30 year old car when I decided I needed a larger car. I still see same cars of the same age driving around.

What is the Average Life of a Car? How Long Do Cars Last?

The average car lasts around 12 years or around 200,000 miles, according to The Bureau of Transportation. These lifespan numbers continue to rise as modern technology helps vehicles last longer. It's safe to assume that vehicles are built to run up to 200,000 miles when properly taken care of. However, electric engines should last up to 300,000 miles. 

https://mechanicbase.com/cars/how-long-do-cars-last