Woman cleared of 12 million baht lottery ticket theft accusation, plans defamation case

snoop1130

หวย-1.jpg

In a tale of family dynamics gone awry, a 93 year old woman accused her 53 year old granddaughter of stealing two winning government-issued lottery scratch cards worth a total of 12 million baht (US$340,000). The case arose after an investigation by the Lottery Department, which included examining the original stubs of three books of tickets. However, the department confirmed that none of the stubs matched the winning numbers.

Jee Chaowangyen originally reported her granddaughter-in-law, Saengthong, to officers at Nong Prue Police Station, Kanchanaburi. She claimed that Saengthong, who lived nearby, had stolen her lottery tickets that won the first-place prize in the lottery draw on May 2. Police summoned Saengthong, along with the lottery seller and others involved in the incident, to give statements, and presented three ticket books for sold lottery tickets to the Lottery Department for inspection.

On June 27, Saengthong revealed that the police received a reply from the Lottery Department confirming that the three lottery stubs submitted for verification did not match the winning number of the top prize ticket. This confirmation vindicated Saengthong from accusations made by Jee, her mother-in-law, asserting that the theft claims were unfounded, reported KhaoSod.

“I will lodge a complaint against mother-in-law Jee at the Nong Prue Police Station since her allegations have tarnished my reputation and caused hardship,” Saengthong said. She added that since the news spread, she had been ostracised by their community and faced constant questioning about the alleged theft. Saengthong added…

By Nattapong Westwood

Caption: Picture courtesy of ห้อยโหนตามกระแส Facebook

Full Story: https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/crime/daughter-in-law-cleared-of-12-million-baht-lottery-ticket-theft-plans-defamation-case-against-93-year-old-accuser-2

Thaiger

-- © Copyright Thaiger 2023-06-27

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Quite possible at aged 93, the old woman's marbles have gone!

However,  the sad state of affairs is how these people live, dream and sleep lottery.

It's a constant topic in my village and every Thai I know up here is addicted to both the legal and the illegal lotteries.

It's either the lottery, ganja growing, or ' do I want to buy some land '  ( because they are all chasing commissions) and a good sprinkling of talking about their neighbors behind their backs!

Not many have the same enthusiasm for seeking gainful employment.!

12 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

“I will lodge a complaint against mother-in-law Jee at the Nong Prue Police Station since her allegations have tarnished my reputation and caused hardship,” Saengthong said. She added that since the news spread, she had been ostracised by their community and faced constant questioning about the alleged theft. Saengthong added…

The down-side of social media.

• Like 1

Not being a Thai lottery player I need an explanation as to how a lottery  'Scratch Card' has coreessponding 'stub'. Lottery tickets. yes. Scratch cards are usually printed on heavy paper/thin card and sold singly in a sealed cellophane envelope.

Can  anyone explain please

2 hours ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

Not being a Thai lottery player I need an explanation as to how a lottery  'Scratch Card' has coreessponding 'stub'. Lottery tickets. yes. Scratch cards are usually printed on heavy paper/thin card and sold singly in a sealed cellophane envelope.

Can  anyone explain please

It's called Thai journalism.