Volcano durian: South Thailand farmer introduces unique breed to nationwide praise

snoop1130

durian.jpg

In the South Thailand, a farmer has successfully grown a unique variety of durian, calling it a ‘volcano durian.’ Harvesting started a couple of days ago and the fruits, selling for 200 baht per kilogram, have already attracted numerous customers from across the country.

Sixty year old Sai Yud Chansawang owns a durian orchard located in the Na Yung district, Trang province. With more than 350 durian trees spread across 15 acres, it is Southern Thailand’s first known volcano durian orchard. The unique durian and its tantalsing taste have lured customers from all parts of the country, creating a massive demand. In response, Sai Yud works tirelessly to harvest the volcano durians, the weight of which is estimated at about 5,000 kilograms.

“Considering the price we sell a kilogram now, we generate income of nearly 10,000 baht per day or over 1 million baht annually,” says Sai Yud. She only started selling the unique volcano durians this year, though they are in their second year of cultivation.

What makes volcano durian special is its organic cultivation, thin shell, and rich, aromatic flesh. The seeds too are smaller compared to the regular durian varieties, and it is surprisingly less pungent. Customers are offered free fruit tasting to make an informed choice before buying. They could also visit the orchard and handpick the durians, choosing from different grades and textures, all of which come with a guarantee against rot.

By Nattapong Westwood

Caption: Photo Courtesy of KhaoSod

Full Story: https://thethaiger.com/news/south/southern-thailand-farmer-unveils-unique-volcano-durian-breed-to-nationwide-acclaim

Thaiger

-- © Copyright Thaiger 2023-06-28

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

12 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

In the South Thailand, a farmer has successfully grown a unique variety of durian, calling it a ‘volcano durian.’

Chilly flavoured Durian  now that would sell.

Almost 20 years coming and lately leaving long term in Thailand , I guess because of all the negative press *smell" . I had never tried it .

I tried it a few months ago, and, Not bad! actually it was very good. I did not detect an overly unpleasant odor, perhaps the odor thing is when they are overly ripe? Or perhaps after having covid a few months ago, I lost my sense of smell. 

• Thumbs Up 1

20 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

a ‘volcano durian.’ Harvesting started a couple of days ago ............................................. have already attracted numerous customers from across the country.

So the farmer's sales are about to explode??

2 hours ago, Scott Tracy said:

350 trees generating 5,000 kilos? Just over 14kilos per tree..... 15 acres, or 37 rai...seems like a lot of investment for such a small return

I suggest that the trees are very immature and will only bear small amounts of fruit at first and this will peak between at 12-15 years.

I am surprised that the trees are only two years old as cultivars usually start to bear fruit after 4-6 years.

Edited by LosLobo
  • Sad 1