First Thai ID for a Thai/Foreigner child

afuentes

Hi, my daughter is 7 years old born to a foreign father and Thai mother. I divorced my Thai wife several years ago when daughter was almost 4 years old. I have been granted full care and control and I live with her abroad. She has a Thai passport, which was issued when she was just born - it expired a couple of years ago during Covid. I am now renewing her passport but as she has turned 7, she now also needs to get her first Thai ID card. First Thai ID card cannot be issued by Thai embassy and needs to be done in person in Thailand. Does anyone have experience of doing this or knows the process? There is very little information available online and it's not clear at all. Thank  you very much for all the advice!

When I did my son's ID card it was quite simple.

Go to the amphur office and get his picture taken in the office and they make the plastic card right there, much like getting your drivers license

• Love It 1

12 hours ago, afuentes said:

but as she has turned 7, she now also needs to get her first Thai ID card

Is this what they told you at the Embassy? AFAIK all Thai nationals must issue the ID card when they turn 15. However they can get an ID card from as early as 6 years old. They might have changed the law though.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, kwonitoy said:

When I did my son's ID card it was quite simple.

Go to the amphur office and get his picture taken in the office and they make the plastic card right there, much like getting your drivers license

kwonitoy

He is not in Thailand.  " I have been granted full care and control and I live with her abroad."

I got my 16 year olds 1st id card last year.

My circumstances were different in that my wife had custody on the divorce certificate,so they wouldn’t issue one without her being present.

Had to go to the Amphur where she was registered on Tabian Baan.

Needed a copy of Tabian Baan with daughters name on it

Copy of Tabian Baan with mothers name on it (if address different)

Birth certificate

Mothers id card

This will suffice if you can take your ex wife with you.

If not,might be a bit trickier.

They are obsessed with seeing a Tabian Baan.

My daughter entered Thailand on her expired Thai passport having left England on her British passport.

Hope this is of some help.

18 hours ago, afuentes said:

Does anyone have experience of doing this or knows the process? There is very little information available online and it's not clear at all. Thank  you very much for all the advice!

To get a Thai ID-card your daughter must be registered in a Thai House Book first. When she is not registered as resident in Thailand, she don't need a Thai ID-card.

Your daughter already got a Thai ID-number, which is stated on her birth certificate and in her passport. When she moves to Thailand and are registered as resident, this ID-number will be recorded in the House Book, then she is eligible for an ID-card that carries her Thai address.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, LukKrueng said:

Is this what they told you at the Embassy? AFAIK all Thai nationals must issue the ID card when they turn 15. However they can get an ID card from as early as 6 years old. They might have changed the law though.

1st Thai id card is issued at the age of 7, under current rules

12 minutes ago, khunPer said:

Your daughter already got a Thai ID-number, which is stated on her birth certificate and in her passport. When she moves to Thailand and are registered as resident, this ID-number will be recorded in the House Book, then she is eligible for an ID-card that carries her Thai address

Wrong.

A Thai Passport is issued only if you are in a Blue Tabien Baan.

As OPs daughter has already held a Thai PP, she must be registered in a Blue Tabien Baan at the time of issuance of the Thai PP.

3 hours ago, DrJoy said:

Wrong.

As OPs daughter has already held a Thai PP, she must be registered in a Blue Tabien Baan at the time of issuance of the Thai PP.

No, a Thai passport is issued to a Thai citizen, who can be born abroad and/or live abroad without being registered in a domestic House Book.

OP's daughter is renewing her Thai passport from a foreign Thai embassy. OP asks about also having a Thai ID-card issued, which cannot be done by an embassy. For having an ID-card she needs to be registered in a domestic House Book...????

On 6/28/2023 at 7:20 PM, afuentes said:

I am now renewing her passport but as she has turned 7, she now also needs to get her first Thai ID card.

My son's 12 and doesn't have an ID card yet.

Generally the school takes them along to get it done when they're 14.

(They did that with my daughter)

thank you everyone for your responses! I do have a copy of her tabien baan with her name in it but am not sure if I still have the original (it might have been left in storage in boxes when we were moving from Thailand so I won't be able to check that unless we fly to BKK). In case I can't find it, is it possible/easy to get a replacement by myself? Not possible to bring ex wife along as I'm not sure of her whereabouts. 

On 6/29/2023 at 2:54 PM, khunPer said:

No, a Thai passport is issued to a Thai citizen, who can be born abroad and/or live abroad without being registered in a domestic House Book.

OP's daughter is renewing her Thai passport from a foreign Thai embassy. OP asks about also having a Thai ID-card issued, which cannot be done by an embassy. For having an ID-card she needs to be registered in a domestic House Book...????

On 6/29/2023 at 11:11 AM, DrJoy said:

Wrong.

thank you for your response. yes she is registered in the blue book. i'm just not sure if I still have it (I posted full explanation on that below)

On 6/29/2023 at 10:57 AM, khunPer said:

To get a Thai ID-card your daughter must be registered in a Thai House Book first. When she is not registered as resident in Thailand, she don't need a Thai ID-card.

Your daughter already got a Thai ID-number, which is stated on her birth certificate and in her passport. When she moves to Thailand and are registered as resident, this ID-number will be recorded in the House Book, then she is eligible for an ID-card that carries her Thai address.

Thank you! Do you know if it's a straightforward process or are they likely to make it difficult in the district office? My Thai is not great and I don't know the rules inside out so if we are flying to BKK to get it done only to be turned away for some silly reason it would be a great waste of time and money 

On 6/29/2023 at 4:42 AM, Kenny Boy said:

I got my 16 year olds 1st id card last year.

My circumstances were different in that my wife had custody on the divorce certificate,so they wouldn’t issue one without her being present.

Had to go to the Amphur where she was registered on Tabian Baan.

Needed a copy of Tabian Baan with daughters name on it

Copy of Tabian Baan with mothers name on it (if address different)

Birth certificate

Mothers id card

This will suffice if you can take your ex wife with you.

If not,might be a bit trickier.

They are obsessed with seeing a Tabian Baan.

My daughter entered Thailand on her expired Thai passport having left England on her British passport.

Hope this is of some help.

Thank you! Don't have mother's ID as we've been long estranged. Only a photocopy of her last one that expired a couple of years back and also a photocopy of daughter's tabien baan

On 6/28/2023 at 7:20 PM, afuentes said:

I divorced my Thai wife several years ago when daughter was almost 4 years old. I have been granted full care and control and I live with her abroad.

I assume that you have a Thai Court order granting you child custody, In that case the copy of the court order will suffice for her absence, not an issue.

Carry -

Birth Cert

Tabien Baan copy

Thai Court order granting you sole custody

1 hour ago, DrJoy said:

I assume that you have a Thai Court order granting you child custody, In that case the copy of the court order will suffice for her absence, not an issue.

Carry -

Birth Cert

Tabien Baan copy

Thai Court order granting you sole custody

Thank you. I got the divorce back in my home country (Spain). Hope that does not make too much difference. Although assume a notarised translation into Thai wouldn't hurt?

14 hours ago, afuentes said:

Thank you. I got the divorce back in my home country (Spain). Hope that does not make too much difference. Although assume a notarised translation into Thai wouldn't hurt?

I have no idea if a Spanish Court order will be accepted by the District Office.

Since Thailand is not a member of the Apostile Convention.

If its in Spanish, it has to be translated to English first and then Thai, then it has to be attested by your Embassy in Bangkok.

After that it has to be further attested by the Thai M.F.A. in Chaengwattana, Bangkok.

Then the document can be used in Thailand.

Edited by DrJoy
  • Like 1
  • Love It 1

17 hours ago, afuentes said:

Thank you! Do you know if it's a straightforward process or are they likely to make it difficult in the district office? My Thai is not great and I don't know the rules inside out so if we are flying to BKK to get it done only to be turned away for some silly reason it would be a great waste of time and money 

You first need your daughter to be registered in a Blue House Book for Thai nationals, then it's easy to get an ID when 7 years or older. A Thai ID-card is only of any use if your daughter lives/stays in Thailand.

• Thumbs Up 1