Affirmative action ruling sharply divides Dems, GOP

Social Media

image.png

Thursday’s extraordinary Supreme Court decision to banish race as a factor in college admissions is sharply dividing the parties on Capitol Hill, where Democrats denounced the ruling as a blow to civil rights and Republicans hailed it as a long overdue step toward a colorblind culture.

Democrats have long supported affirmative action as a crucial, if imperfect, effort to rectify the centuries of race-based injustice that practically defined much of the country’s history, when Black people were denied basic rights.

Republicans, meanwhile, have attacked the concept of race-based admissions as outdated and inherently discriminatory, undermining a purely merit-based education system and denying opportunities to other groups of students in the process.

Those dueling arguments were on full display Thursday morning, when both sides wasted no time weighing in on the high court’s historic decision.

STORY

image.png

35 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

The dems are slowly losing control.

I understand the letter of the interpretation of the constitution being color blind but racism exists in general people of color have a harder time accessing the best schools that’s undeniable im deeply saddened by this ruling it’s not about control it’s about leveling the playing field a sad day 

3 minutes ago, Tug said:

I understand the letter of the interpretation of the constitution being color blind but racism exists in general people of color have a harder time accessing the best schools that’s undeniable im deeply saddened by this ruling it’s not about control it’s about leveling the playing field a sad day 

See, you're basically saying people of color aren't smart enough to compete based on their grades and character.

Good to see that this discriminatory practice has been stopped.

A wise man once said "I have a dream that my four little children one day will live in a nation where they will not be judged by the colour of their skin but by the content of their character".

Using race as a factor in college admissions is a disgraceful act of racism.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Tug said:

The problem is that the case in question did not put people of color against caucasians. It was a case of one POC group getting preference while another group of POC are getting screwed.  Why is it that some POC have little trouble accessing the best schools while others do not?

The field is level, but that does not mean that the results will be equal.