Thai tourism targets wealthy Asian expatriates for industry boost

webfact

image.jpeg

The Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) has set their sights on the growing wealth of Asian expatriates as a potential boon for the Thai tourism industry. Chinese nationals residing in Cambodia and Laos have been particularly targeted due to their propensity for choosing Thailand as a location to send their children for education.

According to Oranooch Pakapan-Rutten, TAT’s marketing representative for Cambodia and Laos, the potential for growth lies in the foreign investors from Japan, Korea, and China who reside in these regions. These investors frequently utilise their proximity to Thailand’s offerings, crossing the border to acquire high-quality goods and services, thus making them an enticing prospect for Thai tourism.

The existence of the new China-Laos high-speed rail service has opened up transportation opportunities, allowing Thailand to anticipate more tourists from northeastern China via Vientiane in Laos, commented Pakapan-Rutten.

Pakapan-Rutten expounded further stating that the high-spending segment of both Cambodia and Laos could be effectively encouraged to expand their tourism experiences towards Thailand.

This segment, primarily made up of employed individuals reaping the rewards from foreign investments in their countries, has already established a positive relationship with Thailand. 

by Alex Morgan

Top Photo Courtesy of Freepik

#news

Full story: https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/economy/thai-tourism-targets-wealthy-asian-expatriates-for-industry-boost

Thaiger

-- © Copyright Thaiger 2023-06-30

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The only way to attract "wealthy" Asians Expatriates is to push the Elite Visa.  Why would a wealthy person want to wait in long immigration lines at BKK upon arrival.  On the other hand a truly wealth Asian expatriate has many options that are more attractive.  Singapore and S. Korea will grant a foreigner a long term visa (in S. Korea up to 10 years) for purchasing a condo or home for at least $500,000.   

The term Innovation is rarely uttered in LOS.  

seems to me they should be taking better care of us. i only bring in about  600 000bht a year and i know many bring in more than me, but at least i spend it here. not sure, but usually the wealthy are wealthy for a reason and someone used to tell me the rich are rich cause they are cheap, and you are poor cause you spend it all.????  ????  :crazy:

5 hours ago, webfact said:

The Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) has set their sights on the growing wealth of Asian expatriates as a potential boon for the Thai tourism industry. Chinese nationals residing in Cambodia and Laos have been particularly targeted due to their propensity for choosing Thailand as a location to send their children for education.

Another target after the Indians, Finnish, Saudi's, Russians, Chinese, Mongolians

am I missing anyone?

10 hours ago, webfact said:

The existence of the new China-Laos high-speed rail service has opened up transportation opportunities, allowing Thailand to anticipate more tourists from northeastern China via Vientiane in Laos, commented Pakapan-Rutten (...)

Turns out Thai tourism officials have no clue how to attract either, wealthy Asians, or expats. Or why would wealthy Asian expatriates rely on train-travel all the way from northeastern China to Thailand, except if they were afraid of flying... And why the need (to spend money) to attract travelling expatriates from neighbouring countries at all, if there are plenty of expats living in Thailand already? But we are taken for granted, and no-one cares to entice us to spend or travel here more, not to mention, perhaps, making visa regulations easier...

Edited by StayinThailand2much

7 hours ago, John Drake said:
10 hours ago, webfact said:

Chinese nationals residing in Cambodia and Laos have been particularly targeted due to their propensity for choosing Thailand as a location

Triads.

Yes, those call-centers were in the news very recently, but the Chinese 'expats' they arrested in Thailand didn't seem very wealthy...