Yellow House Book revisited

33 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

It's not needed, but I find it very convenient to have.  Just saving trips to Imm & paying for a CoR is enough.  I've had 3 yellow books, and one of the easiest docs for me to acquire here.

Only thing easier to get, was Pink ID, and taking 5 mins at the same office, same day.

Not sure why others find it complicated.  Simply walk in, ask for it, provide blue book & PP, and walk out with yellow book.  Really was that easy each time.

Well obviously things are different from one Amphur to the next and nobody seemed able to provide the correct information. They insisted on having a translation of my passport, which included making sure that our names on the marriage certificate would, in Thai, be the same as in the Tabien Baan. We met somebody else at Chaeng Wattana that was doing the same thing, they said we had to go to our embassy for a translation first. These were the only people giving out information apart from doubtful looking touts outside offering their services. We then paid a translation agency near the embassy to finish things for us, could have done it all by post really.

• Like 2

I only got mine , years ago because at that time if you had one you could

receive free medical treatment at Government hospitals ,brought about by

Thaksin  when he was PM ,so he was not all bad,unfortunately did not last

that long for me , as when he went into exile , the new Government cancelled

it , then tried to bring in a new scheme ,where for B 2500 p.a. you were covered,

that lasted about a month if I remember correctly ,we did get our money back.

Never found a use for it since.

regards Worgeordie

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cooked said:

Well obviously things are different from one Amphur to the next and nobody seemed able to provide the correct information. They insisted on having a translation of my passport, which included making sure that our names on the marriage certificate would, in Thai, be the same as in the Tabien Baan. We met somebody else at Chaeng Wattana that was doing the same thing, they said we had to go to our embassy for a translation first. These were the only people giving out information apart from doubtful looking touts outside offering their services. We then paid a translation agency near the embassy to finish things for us, could have done it all by post really.

That's a complete different experience, and so glad I've lived where I have.  Some of these stories, Bkk, Phuket, Patts, Jomtien are just crazy.  Things they won't do, or will do, but with silly paperwork required.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cooked said:

anyway, I guess I will no longer need a residence certificate every time I buy a house, renew my driving licence or open a new bank account.

You will need a residence certificate to get a new license for sure. I had to get one 2 months ago and have had the yellow book 15 years. Bangkok anyway. 

• Haha 2

Went to Bang Rakam Amphur last week, with all correct paperwork, only to be told AGAIN that I must be married to my partner of 12 years. He asked her WHY did I not want to get married, when that really is a mutual decision.

When I told him that I had been on the Govt website which say marriage is NOT necessary, he said 'further investigations' were needed, come back next week. 

15 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Went to Bang Rakam Amphur last week, with all correct paperwork, only to be told AGAIN that I must be married to my partner of 12 years. He asked her WHY did I not want to get married, when that really is a mutual decision.

When I told him that I had been on the Govt website which say marriage is NOT necessary, he said 'further investigations' were needed, come back next week. 

Wrong way to go about it. Better go with a Thai delicacy and ask how the situation can be resolved. Never show these people what the rules are, you are invading their little kingdom and they retaliate by giving you the runaround. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

Not sure why others find it complicated.  Simply walk in, ask for it, provide blue book & PP, and walk out with yellow book.  Really was that easy each time.

Twice in Udon Thani, once at PKK.

So you transferred the book(not applied for new one), which is easy?

10 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

So you transferred the book(not applied for new one), which is easy?

Sold houses in between books, along with living in rentals, and not having yellow books.  So no, not transfers and started from scratch.  New houses, not done, when old houses sold.

Wife not even having her blue book yet for new houses.

Edited by KhunLA

I got my yellow book in Surat Thani with no problems but when we moved to our new house in Kanchanadit and tried to get a new one issued for that house the  Kanchanadit office refused to do so, when we tried to explain I needed it for my yearly extension they refused to listen even after telling them that the immigration office had told us I needed it to change my house address to where I was living but because they refuse it means I have had to use our other house address every year(pics and all) with the extension instead of the new house, as usual every thai govt office has their own rules and refuse to work with other govt offices so I am just using my old yellow book

• Sad 1

48 minutes ago, marin said:

You will need a residence certificate to get a new license for sure. I had to get one 2 months ago and have had the yellow book 15 years. Bangkok anyway. 

Only had to show a residence certificate once, after obtaining the yellow book, never need another residence certificate. 

I dare say that it depends on the office, as in most government offices, they all appear to have their own rules, in other words, the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing.

Dumb Asian GIFs | Tenor

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Wrong way to go about it. Better go with a Thai delicacy and ask how the situation can be resolved. Never show these people what the rules are, you are invading their little kingdom and they retaliate by giving you the runaround. 

what you just wrote is what works 95% of the time............... but not the way a Farang will do it (95%) of the time.    

There is a good reason why only 5 % of foreigners living in Thailand say that they usually have no problems in these situations 

in the beginning , and longer  55 ,  things did not always go smoothly. The learning process led to the advice above working the best . 

Edited by rumak
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, KhunLA said:

I wish it were like that in Bang Rakam. First he says I must be married (wrong) and that when he decides that I do not, must bring two witnesses and my village head-man to the office.

Are you married?

Edited by KannikaP

1 hour ago, marin said:

Yeh i had a bun fight with one LTO staff insisting on LOR with yellow book, on registering a car, my missus even rang our Amphur office and got her to talk to them, off i went to my IO even they phoned the woman refusing it, she would not back down, my IO gave me the LOR in 10min free.

I am quite lucky as my province has two LTO, when i renewed my DL the other one excepted my yellow book (we rang first to check) I will only use that office now.

It was Mrs. Brian that wanted me to get a yellow book, I'm still not sure why though, all I got was, "Good more for you Tilak":giggle:

no translations needed for anything, but the boss at our Amphur could read English. 

12 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

I wish it were like that in Bang Rakam. First he says I must be married (wrong) and that when he decides that I do not, must bring two witnesses and my village head-man to the office.

Are you married?

From memory even being married, two witnesses were required and one must speak English the wife was not classed as a witness. (same as getting married.)

1 minute ago, brianthainess said:

From memory even being married, two witnesses were required and one must speak English the wife was not classed as a witness. (same as getting married.)

I DID speak English! 

Oh, you mean one of the witnesses must speak English. And the other one Thai by any chance?   555

1 hour ago, KannikaP said:

Are you married?

Yes, being married seems to makes everything easier, unless getting a divorce without paperwork protecting yourself.

Although, 1st & 2nd yellow book, I was not married.  Only with current yellow book.

Edited by KhunLA

3 hours ago, KhunLA said:

The simple response to this is that different Amphur offices have slightly different requirements. 

One of the requirements involving the most leg work was to get the MFA certified translation of the Embassy verified Copy of Passport.... (i.e. involving 3 steps)... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

The simple response to this is that different Amphur offices have slightly different requirements. 

One of the requirements involving the most leg work was to get the MFA certified translation of the Embassy verified Copy of Passport.... (i.e. involving 3 steps)... 

When I had to do this step for the Amphur in Udon Thani, I had the translation company take the translated copies and the notarized original and the copy they made to the MFA for me by using a courier they had in place.  It cost me less than wasting a few days traveling down to BKK and going to the MFA myself.  I still have a certified and stamped copy of that passport in my files, but I had to do a new one just recently when I transferred my yellow-book and because have a new passport. Lucky I have a place in BKK now so there was no traveling needed except by car from the condo to the MFA.

7 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

When I had to do this step for the Amphur in Udon Thani, I had the translation company take the translated copies and the notarized original and the copy they made to the MFA for me by using a courier they had in place.  It cost me less than wasting a few days traveling down to BKK and going to the MFA myself.  I still have a certified and stamped copy of that passport in my files, but I had to do a new one just recently when I transferred my yellow-book and because have a new passport. Lucky I have a place in BKK now so there was no traveling needed except by car from the condo to the MFA.

Hmm ... my first 2 were in UT, and the first one, I had to ask 3 times, before they agreed to do it.  Think they got tired of me asking, but didn't need to get anything from embassy, and pretty sure it was just the blue book, in 'girlfriend's' name (not married), and PP.

Same with 2nd one, (UT), as still not married, using just the new blue book & PP.  

Current one, same, but married, and @ PKK

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, brianthainess said:

Yeh i had a bun fight with one LTO staff insisting on LOR with yellow book, on registering a car, my missus even rang our Amphur office and got her to talk to them, off i went to my IO even they phoned the woman refusing it, she would not back down, my IO gave me the LOR in 10min free...

What do you mean with "LOR"?