Problem with increasingly aggressive & violent wife

JammG

7 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:

When the OP said she was going on line chatting with different guys, my guess as to the likely explanation for her behavior immediately shifted from mental illness to a deliberate attempt on her part to get the OP to move out and divorce because she's romantically involved with someone else.

Bingo. Its pretty obvious she's unhappy with the marriage to a Farang thing and is craving a Thai man.

The only wrinkle is the violent behavior. The usual MO is for the Thai lady to stop relations with the Farang, who usually responds by seeing other ladies, then its an amiable divorce with an income stream for the ex-wife.

Our guy can just split with the kid, leaving the wife to fend for herself. She will need a few days to find a Thai man to take care of her.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I don't know how many people are bipolar. But I know many Thais take drugs. And often drugs, and then craving for drugs, results in such behavior. That's what I would look first at the most likely scenario. And maybe he is lucky and get her away from drugs - if they are the problem. 

The OP never mentioned drugs. Only you. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

15 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

How do you know?

I guess he married her because he loved her at some time.

Drugs change people tremendously. And some people give up drugs and are normal again.

I think in a situation with a young child it's a good idea to try to restore the situation, even if it is difficult.

If he finds out the situation is impossible then he can still divorce her. 

At the subjective level you are correct. At the objective level it's difficult to see how she could ever give love or be loved.

Drugs not mentioned. It's not worth trying to fix people with serious drugs problems. If she's just acting out that's probably even worse bc of the lack of mental health assistance and understanding here.

We as farang are at numerous disadvantages here. It's ok to toss in the towel. We didn't move here to be hated, shi+ on or made miserable.

If she's erratic and up late, odd sleeping hours, let's everything go to ruin.. could be meth. Often meth users do not exhibit erratic behavior but certainly it's not weed or cocaine lol.

Edited by Plern

About my comments about drugs: Obviously I don't know if drugs are a or the problem in this case.

What I know is that taking drugs and being drug addicted often shows behavior like the OP describes.

Is it possible to get people clean and away from drugs? Is it worth the effort? 

I know it is possible to get some people away from drugs. 

And personally, I think it's worth some effort to try to give the child a family with a caring mother and father. Will that be easy? Probably no. Will it be possible? Maybe.

Will the son be happy without his mother and maybe with a new girlfriend of the father? Maybe.

Will the son be happy if the mother gets custody and doesn't change her behavior? 

There is no fast and easy way to solve this situation. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JammG said:

I live with my Thai wife and 4 year old son in a rented apartment in bkk & we was married at the local amphur, I have a situation now where my wife is becoming more and more aggressive and violent often breaking things in the apartment.

The police have been called before and they didn't do anything, not even looked at our smashed up room. Luckily I recorded the last time she went berserk on video and have taken pics & have i been to the police to record any incidents & have received reports. Actually the police have said to leave her if she keeps doing it.

I have spoken to her about divorce before but she only wants to go to the amphur without any lawyer present and refuses to talk to anyone about it. My son is scared of her outbursts as she often targets his toys a lot to break, anyway from speaking to people I gather there is no reason I can't take my son away from where we currently live for his safety.

She contributes very little to my son anyway, I pay for his schooling & everything else & she just works to pay off her depts.

I'm just wondering if there is anyone out there that has any advice or has experienced something similar, if I do take my son with me obviously I am worried about how she will react & what could happen in the future. 

Any sensible replies are welcome & thanks in advance. 

Keep her away from any knives

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Sandboxer said:

Are you on the kid's birth cert? Just being married isn't enough to snatch Jr.

what happens if you travel to another country with the kid?

immigration may ask for proof that he's your child or you may get charged with abduction, i believe.

4 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I don't know how many people are bipolar. But I know many Thais take drugs. And often drugs, and then craving for drugs, results in such behavior. That's what I would look first at the most likely scenario. And maybe he is lucky and get her away from drugs - if they are the problem. 

Which came first, the chicken or the egg? People take drugs for a reason. Healthy and happy people don’t mess around with with hard drugs unless there is an underlying issue. 

• Haha 2

29 minutes ago, NextG said:

Which came first, the chicken or the egg? People take drugs for a reason. Healthy and happy people don’t mess around with with hard drugs unless there is an underlying issue. 

I think that is not entirely true.

Some people do it because others do it. Like: Look, I don't get tired and can dance all night, with just a little help of xyz. Why don't you try. Or something like that.

And some people only do it occasionally. But others do it more often and want more of the same.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I think that is not entirely true.

Some people do it because others do it. Like: Look, I don't get tired and can dance all night, with just a little help of xyz. Why don't you try. Or something like that.

And some people only do it occasionally. But others do it more often and want more of the same.

You think his wife is going out to dance all night? ???? 

Seriously though, do you think that she doesn’t have enough funds in order to get more or is it just how people act when they are on ‘meth’? We did have a somewhat publicised incident with someone throwing furniture on Soi Bua Khao, so it’s not implausible. But the OP will have a better idea of how it is than our conjecture. 

4 hours ago, JammG said:

Yes I'm on his birth certificate, some good questions so far. I don't know for sure she is at work all the time. My son is at school & I can work then & do some in the evening, I also have no intention of taking him out of Thailand I like it here, there are worse places to live.

My immigration status isn't a problem and I have already been to the police to document the various incidents, actually a question I would like to make is how do I press charges or make a prosecution at a police station? Because so far all the police have done is document the various incidents and given me a copy. Maybe I can have her charged for the smashed TV etc?

And yes she has picked up a knife before, as I say I think getting out and then dealing with the consequences after maybe the way to go. 

i think you need to let the incidents go and focus on moving elsewhere with your son, your wasting energy on a person who obviously is not worth it, ask yourself what outcome you would like and then think about the likely hood of that happening.

I went through similar and was quite surprised how easy they agreed to me having custody of our daughter.

Why so much talk of mental illness and drugs? Female hypoagency again. There are at least as many sociopaths among women as among men. Couple this with female entitlement and impunity (rampant in the West, but probably not unknown in TH either).

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I would at least bring her for a proper psychiatric evaluation first… after all, you did marry her, for better or worse, right? Let’s say you started flipping out, wouldn’t you want her to do the same for you?

In the meantime, you might try to eliminate any breakable items from the home.