Anonymous bank deposit

A Thai friend needs to get some surgery, but she doesn't have the money. I want to gift her the money but I never want her to feel any obligation to pay it back. She has a heart of gold and will want to pay it back.

I think surgery will probably cost around 25,000 baht.

Can I simply deposit cash into her account by going to her bank? I can obtain her bank details because she has shared them with a mutual friend to sort out a lunch payment.

So my concern is for it to be anonymous to her. I'm wondering if by paying by cash I can achieve that, or do banks here require the sender's name to be on the deposit? 

The problem I can imagine is with legislation on money laundering, but I don't care about the bank knowing who deposited, just the receiver. 

• Like 1

normally she won't know where the amount came from
but to make a deposit to transfer, you need to be identified at the bank

if you have a bank account here, you can also transfer the amount from your bank,

unless she goes to the bank concerned with the source of the deposit/transfer into her account she won't get any details of who sent her the money

in case if's you making  a deposit in person, they'd have to look back at cctv footage to find the time you made it, dig to the copies of your ID that they had made, the bank won't do it without valid reason like she suspect she's being scammed by being sent money? or a court/police order

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Gaccha said:

A Thai friend needs to get some surgery, but she doesn't have the money. I want to gift her the money but I never want her to feel any obligation to pay it back. She has a heart of gold and will want to pay it back.

Can I simply deposit cash into her account by going to her bank? I can obtain her bank details because she has shared them with a mutual friend to sort out a lunch payment.

So my concern is for it to be anonymous to her. I'm wondering if by paying by cash I can achieve that, or do banks here require the sender's name to be on the deposit? 

The problem I can imagine is with legislation on money laundering, but I don't care about the bank knowing who deposited, just the receiver. 

Just hire a friend to do it for you. Dont worry about money laundring. Paying cash into a bank is a no brainer we have learned and accepted by banks better than a transfer (No idea why - it should actually completely defy the idea - but this seems to be a TIT thing). For amount very much higher than your 25KTHB by the way - recommended by the bank even !!!

But maybe this depends as well from bank to bank. You may as well write as reason of payment: "Present". Very reasonable for such a relatively small amount.

Edited by moogradod

Appreciate that is Thailand but you try adding hard cash to a 3rd party account in the UK lol

You simply cant and if anyone doubts me go and try it

Transfer online no problem

Be sneaky and take that 3rd parties debit card into a bank and you "may" get away with it but hard cash NO lol

Cracked right down on here even up the Post Office with my own debit card I have to provide other ID to show its me

• Confused 1

7 minutes ago, Chivas said:

Appreciate that is Thailand but you try adding hard cash to a 3rd party account in the UK lol

You simply cant and if anyone doubts me go and try it

Transfer online no problem

Be sneaky and take that 3rd parties debit card into a bank and you "may" get away with it but hard cash NO lol

Cracked right down on here even up the Post Office with my own debit card I have to provide other ID to show its me

Agree. In Europe they are picky as can be. I lived in Switzerland for a long time and it is even there. In some respect much more strictly than here. The case I was referring to was from one account to another account of the same (Thai) holder. But how could they know where the money came from ? Cash has no adress nor ID printed on it ????. I still feel this is very special and it was in full compliance with the banks regulations. Nothing fishy about it.

Edited by moogradod
  • Like 1

Just to be clear re my above post as someones confused lol

You walk into a bank with just the persons sort code and account number written down and say £500 and try and pay it in

You simply cant....not any more even if you're married to them

Edited by Chivas

I've deposited cash many times in people's accts and my own with no ID required in Pattaya. They just have you write your name and phone # on the deposit slip.

Edited by Trippy
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Chivas said:

Just to be clear re my above post as someones confused lol

You walk into a bank with just the persons sort code and account number written down and say £500 and try and pay it in

You simply cant....not any more even if you're married to them

Well, this is the other extreme. Incredible if you ask me. You cannot pay the modest sum of £500 in cash to your wifes account ? Hilarious.

4 minutes ago, Trippy said:

They just have you write your name and phone # on the receipt.

Is that info added to the records of the deposit or just kept by the bank for itself?

36 minutes ago, NextG said:

Get them to send the 25k and you can reimburse them. 

She will simply pay the money back to them or compel them to tell her my name. She will feel the guilt to repay if she can find a way to do it.

6 minutes ago, Trippy said:

I've deposited cash many times in people's accts and my own with no ID required in Pattaya. They just have you write your name and phone # on the receipt.

They do ask for a passport…. though perhaps not every time and in every place. 

1 minute ago, Gaccha said:

Is that info added to the records of the deposit or just kept by the bank for itself?

I don't know that, but since they never asked me for ID, you can just put any name and number you want.

Just now, Gaccha said:

She will simply pay the money back to them or compel them to tell her my name. She will feel the guilt to repay if she can find a way to do it.

Cannot, as the full account number won’t be available to her… unless she knows them personally. 

33 minutes ago, digbeth said:

if's you making  a deposit in person, they'd have to look back at cctv footage to find the time you made it, dig to the copies of your ID that they had made, the bank won't do it without valid reason like she suspect she's being scammed by being sent money?

This sounds good. I'll go ahead and do it.

1 minute ago, NextG said:

They do ask for a passport…. though perhaps not every time and in every place. 

Probably depends on the amount, I almost never deposit more than 30,000 at a time and can't remember the last time I was asked for my passport doing a cash deposit.

1 minute ago, Trippy said:

I don't know that, but since they never asked me for ID, you can just put any name and number you want.

Money laundring prevention at its best :cheesy: But for more than 50KTHB transfer they take your photo and probably much more. I will see, soon I have to pay my rental fee for the next 3 months.

3 minutes ago, Gaccha said:

This sounds good. I'll go ahead and do it.

Actually the deposit ATM idea is the best if you know her account number. Just deposit it in cash rather than from your account. 

Edited by NextG
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

47 minutes ago, Gaccha said:

Firstly I'll presume you are in Thailand and so is she...so

If her account is with Kasikorn, then just walk into any Kasikorn branch, fill in her bank account details/amount, hand over the cash and the teller will take care of the rest. Can actually do at any bank, but probably easier if you choose a branch of her bank. 

3 minutes ago, Trippy said:

Probably depends on the amount, I almost never deposit more than 30,000 at a time and can't remember the last time I was asked for my passport doing a cash deposit.

I’ve sent much less and they asked for it. Though when I didn’t have it, they don’t always insist. The Deposit ATM idea is best. 

1 minute ago, NextG said:

Actually the deposit ATM idea is the best if you know her account number.

I've never used the ATM for depositing despite living here for years and having had accounts with 4 different banks at different times.

It doesn't require any identification? I suppose the bank gets its photo.

1 minute ago, Gaccha said:

I've never used the ATM for depositing despite living here for years and having had accounts with 4 different banks at different times.

Ah, yes, payment via ATM is possible, too. As mask wearing is still en vogue right now just wear the "bank robber" version as many others do. Incredible how difficult this seems to be to make a modest present to someone anonymously. You could as well put the money in an enveloppe and write in unrecognizable letters "Here is a present for you".

6 minutes ago, Gaccha said:

Yes, but there is no way that she will go as far as to request a photo of the depositor from the ATM. 
All you need to do is to go to her bank(any branch) and to locate the ATM that allows for cash deposits. Choose Deposit and enter her account details. Confirm and then a draw will open. Drop the cash in there. It will close, count the notes and then spit out a receipt. That’s it. No identification necessary. You can wear a motorcycle helmet and a mask if you want to conceal your identity totally. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Something to consider; Even if you succeed in paying the money into her account, if she doesn't know where it came from, she might refuse to touch it.

moogradod's suggestion of putting it in an envelope sounds a better idea.

Edited by phetphet

9 minutes ago, phetphet said:

Something to consider; Even if you succeed in paying the money into her account, if she doesn't know where it came from, she might refuse to touch it.

moogradod's suggestion of putting it in an envelope sounds a better idea.

A valid point. A package sent via courier?