Baltimore shooting: Two dead and 28 injured in mass casualty event, police say

Social Media

image.png

Two people have been killed and another 28 injured in a shooting in the US city of Baltimore, Maryland, police say.

A spokesman said that three people remained in a critical condition.

The incident happened just after midnight (05:00 GMT) in the Brooklyn Homes area, where people had gathered for an event called Brooklyn Day. There are no details about suspects.

More than a dozen of the victims were aged under 18, the city's acting commissioner reported.

Officials have said that more than one assailant opened fire at the celebration.

The motive behind the shooting is still unclear and police have appealed for people to come forward with any information about the incident.

"This was a reckless, cowardly act that happened here," Baltimore Mayor Brandon Scott told a news conference.

"We will not to stop until we find you and we will find you. Until then I hope that with every single breath that you take that you think about the lives that you took and you think about the lives that you impacted here tonight," Mr Scott said.

FULL STORY

image.png

• Sad 2

14 hours ago, LosLobo said:

Only 3 third world countries support a constitution with the right to bear arms and one of them is the US.

Only 3 Countries Protect the Right to Bear Arms in Their Constitutions (businessinsider.com)

There are more than just "3" countries...  and I wouldn't be using "businessinsider" for correct information.

There are actually 8:

Czech Republic

Guatemala

Mexico

Switzerland

The Philippines

Ukraine

United States

Yemen

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right_to_keep_and_bear_arms

Additionally, the following countries permit some different levels of gun ownership (even here in Oz):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overview_of_gun_laws_by_nation

It's tragic to hear of others killing one another - via guns or other weapons. 

Responsible gun owners aren't the problem - it's the law breaking criminals (including Hunter Biden) who obtain gun's illegally and use them without regard for others lives.  I do not believe in punishing law abiding gun owners - just as I don't believe in punishing all drivers just because some of them drive drunk and cause mayhem and death - the worst of which in the USA was in May 1988 in Carrollton, Kentucky when a drunk driver hit a bus head-on and killed 27.

• Love It 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Stargeezr said:

Americans and their guns. The NRA has so much blood on their hands.

The USA, number one, for gun deaths. That is my take on the subject. 

Check the stats for Brazil.

Then check the stats for gun deaths per 100k residents/per country and you'll see the USA isn't even in the top 10.

• Love It 1

1 hour ago, mudpuppy said:

There are more than just "3" countries...  and I wouldn't be using "businessinsider" for correct information.

There are actually 8:

Czech Republic

Guatemala

Mexico

Switzerland

The Philippines

Ukraine

United States

Yemen

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right_to_keep_and_bear_arms

Additionally, the following countries permit some different levels of gun ownership (even here in Oz):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overview_of_gun_laws_by_nation

It's tragic to hear of others killing one another - via guns or other weapons. 

Responsible gun owners aren't the problem - it's the law breaking criminals (including Hunter Biden) who obtain gun's illegally and use them without regard for others lives.  I do not believe in punishing law abiding gun owners - just as I don't believe in punishing all drivers just because some of them drive drunk and cause mayhem and death - the worst of which in the USA was in May 1988 in Carrollton, Kentucky when a drunk driver hit a bus head-on and killed 27.

With respect, I suggest I wouldn't be criticising and offering advice without properly reading my post and the attached link just to demonise Joe Biden.

I also suggest that the possession of a gun in most cases is non-existential, whereas personal transport is usually a necessary part of life.

Also Australia this year had 12 times less gun deaths than US and doesn't have a right to bear arms in its constitution and has a government that makes laws to support the population's Human Rights Against Gun Violence.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Actually I think that would make a small impact on the mass shootings....IMHO

The gang bangers will still be shooting indiscriminately into crowds.  Drug turf wars will persist, and they aren't buying the firearms from FFL dealers.

Violence in my country’s urban areas are at  pandemic proportions !

Although this is a very broad geographical demographic there are many similarities mentioned 

https://sites.tufts.edu/css/the-new-normal-urban-violence-in-the-21st-century/

The left has to decide what they want to ban first. You can ban assault weapons (whetever they are). But they account for a very small number of gun deaths in the US. Fewer than knives or fists actually.

OR you can try to ban "mass shootings". But again they account for only a small portion of overall gun crime.  

OR... you can jail those who carry guns illegally, use guns in crimes, etc.  

24 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

The left has to decide what they want to ban first. You can ban assault weapons (whetever they are). But they account for a very small number of gun deaths in the US. Fewer than knives or fists actually.

OR you can try to ban "mass shootings". But again they account for only a small portion of overall gun crime.  

OR... you can jail those who carry guns illegally, use guns in crimes, etc.  

You are right as usual.

The only logical thing to do would be to ban all knives and fists and mass shootings.

Meanwhile the statistics keep coming and more children and adults keep dying and getting injured.

Four people were shot dead in the city of Philadelphia late on Monday, US police have said.

They said another two - children aged two and 13 - were injured in the attack in the city's south-western Kingsessing area. All the victims are male.

The suspected gunman is now in custody and his rifle and handgun have been recovered.

Police added that the suspect, who has not been named, was wearing a ballistic vest with "multiple magazines".

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-66061204

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

23 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Meanwhile the statistics keep coming and more children and adults keep dying and getting injured.

Four people were shot dead in the city of Philadelphia late on Monday, US police have said.

They said another two - children aged two and 13 - were injured in the attack in the city's south-western Kingsessing area. All the victims are male.

The suspected gunman is now in custody and his rifle and handgun have been recovered.

Police added that the suspect, who has not been named, was wearing a ballistic vest with "multiple magazines".

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-66061204

Someone earlier posted 'assault weapons....account for a very small number of gun deaths in the US'.

Therefore the weapon more than likely must have been the hand gun or the police scanner that caused the casualties.

From your link....

'The suspected attacker, a 40-year-old man who is now in custody, was carrying an AR-15-style rifle, a handgun, a police scanner and ammunition'.

• Like 2

Just now, LosLobo said:

Someone earlier posted 'assault weapons....account for a very small number of gun deaths in the US'.

Therefore the weapon more than likely must have been the hand gun or the police scanner that caused the casualties.

From your link....

'The suspected attacker, a 40-year-old man who is now in custody, was carrying an AR-15-style rifle, a handgun, a police scanner and ammunition'.

Technically, true 'assault weapons' don't cause any deaths, at least not for almost 100 yrs.   Think 1930 was one of the last incidents using.

People confuse 'assault' with 'semi automatic' weapons.   And yes, handguns kill considerably more than long rifles.

I've posted the FBI stat links way too many times go bother.  Just search forum for 'FBI' surely the threads will pop up.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Myran said:

Sad, but the gun nuts don't care how many men, women, and children fall victim to this madness, as long as they get to keep their boom-boom sticks.

Correct ... and a good thing IMHO

As long as criminals have access to them, you may want one if in the USA

And I won't debate, been done already.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

Update on the Philadelphia mass shooting, he's been arrested and named.

The suspect accused of killing five people – including a 15-year-old boy – in a shooting in Philadelphia on Monday night had a previous gun conviction and was carrying a “ghost gun” the night of the shooting, Philadelphia District Attorney Larry Krasner told CNN on Wednesday.

Kimbrady Carriker, 40, is set to be arraigned Wednesday on murder charges, according to the district attorney’s office. Carriker is also facing charges of attempted murder, aggravated assault and simple assault, among others.

The shooting was a “random, premeditated deliberate killing carried out with an assault rifle,” Krasner told CNN.

https://edition.cnn.com/2023/07/05/us/philadelphia-shooting-wednesday/index.html

Meanwhile another one just announced. 

3 people were killed and 6 others injured at a Fourth of July block party in Shreveport, Louisiana

Three people are dead and at least six are injured following a shooting just before midnight on Tuesday, according to information provided to CNN affiliate KSLA by Shreveport officials.

It was difficult to get to the victims due to the amount of vehicles at the scene, according to information from police released to KSLA. 

https://edition.cnn.com/2023/07/05/us/shreveport-shooting-block-party/index.html