Many Opposition Members Defect to Cambodian Ruling Party Ahead of Election

geovalin

A cascade of former Cambodian opposition politicians and activists have defected to the ruling Cambodian People's Party ahead of the July 23 election amid alleged government threats and frustration with Cambodia's political situation, putting pressure on the country's remaining opposition leaders.

In May, the government disqualified its main opposition Candlelight Party from participating in the election, hastening the departure of members. Even before that, though, defections had accelerated as Prime Minister Hun Sen cracked down on dissent with lawsuits, arrests and alleged beatings in recent months.

Candlelight spokesman Kimsour Phirith estimated that 10% to 15% of the embattled party’s central leadership has defected. Cambodian People’s Party spokesman Sok Eysan claimed “hundreds, thousands” of opposition supporters and officials had joined the party in the last year but did not provide evidence.

“This is the strategy of the rival party in order to make our party become weak … to show the image that we are breaking,” Phirith told VOA.

Among the defectors is Yim Sinorn, who spent a decade organizing Cambodian migrant workers in South Korea and worked closely with Cambodia National Rescue Party leader Kem Sokha, who was recently sentenced to 27 years of house arrest.

In March, Sinorn was arrested for posts on Facebook allegedly insulting King Norodom Sihamoni. While on bail, he posted a public apology on his wife’s Facebook page and announced his allegiance to the ruling party, quickly receiving a high-level appointment at the Ministry of Labor.

Sinorn claimed his decision stemmed not from pressure related to his arrest but years of frustration with the now-dissolved Cambodia National Rescue Party and its successor, Candlelight.

“I’ve seen the weakness of leadership of the former opposition party that made me realize I can’t continue the journey,” Sinorn told VOA. “I decided that I have to choose a new place to participate in serving the nation.”

“Everything I have done comes from my own will,” he added. “I think [my former work] was serving the benefit of society. It’s not that everything I did with the opposition group was a useless thing.”

Candlelight Party leaders preside over the party's congress in Siem Reap province, Feb. 11, 2023.
Candlelight Party leaders preside over the party's congress in Siem Reap province, Feb. 11, 2023.

read more