Karen refugees in Mae Hong Son province checked for COVID-19

karen.jpg

Thai health officials have been carrying out rapid antigen tests for COVID-19 infection among people from Myanmar taking refuge in shelters in the Khun Yuam district of Mae Hong Son province, after some local Thai officials at the shelters were found to be infected.

4,879 Karen refugees from Myanmar currently in four shelters, three of which are in Mae Sariang district and one in Khun Yuam district.

The shelter in Village 3 of Mae Ki sub-district is housing 799 Karen refugees.

#news

Full Story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/karen-refugees-in-mae-hong-son-province-checked-for-covid-19/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2023-07-04

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

One only has to understand that many of the Karen refugee's as well as those still in the country of Myanmar were never vaccinated.  My GF's family which is still up in the Hlaingbwe area were never provided vaccinations and no treatment was given when Covid swept through the village. The current Military Junta could care less about the ethnic Karens and wishes they were gone. Hence the continued fighting by the KNU and others.

• Sad 2

I am sure we will never hear more on the follow-up unless Covid expands in the Area up that away and they want to blame the refugee's.  Not much one can do when your fleeing for your life.  Whole villages have been destroyed by the Myanmar military.

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Sad 1

42 minutes ago, herfiehandbag said:

I should imagine that those who test positive will be treated, those who test negative will be offered vaccination.

Not exactly answers to my questions. Offered vax? What if they say no? Treated with what if they're positive?

2 hours ago, dinsdale said:

Not exactly answers to my questions. Offered vax? What if they say no? Treated with what if they're positive?

Presumably if they refuse vaccination then they will go unvaccinated; risk contracting COVID, or perhaps "getting it worse".

If they have, or contract COVID, then presumably they will receive whatever is the current treatment. I'm not a doctor, and have not, to my knowledge, had COVID, so I don't know what the current treatment is.

• Confused 1