Pattani conflict escalates: Negotiator killed

556F3765-00F5-4531-B6E5-402C51E28F73.jpeg

An escalation in the conflict between armed militia and security forces in Pattani province yesterday saw two fatalities and one arrest. In a coordinated operation, government forces succeeded in fatally shooting an armed militant and detaining a woman. The unfortunate loss of a local official, who was involved in peaceful negotiations, also transpired amidst the crossfire. The incident took place in the Khok Pho district.

The event occurred as a government force made up of 50 officers moved in on a residence in Khuan Lamae, a village in the Na Ket sub-district, at around 2am yesterday. Acting upon information that suspected militants involved in the recent death of a local police officer were holed up in this dwelling, the force took tactical action.

A bloody battle incident followed as gunshots were hailed from the house, dreadfully causing the death of Armakosee Hayeeloh, the assistant village chief. In an attempt to peacefully resolve the matter, the authorities had involved local leaders, including Armakosee, to encourage the house inhabitants to peacefully surrender. This approach, however, was met with gunfire that led to Armakosee’s unfortunate demise. A law enforcement official said…

“On firing back at the house and once the shooting ceased, we entered the premises.”

By Mitch Connor

Caption: Photo by Abdullah Benjakat, Bangkok Post

#news

Full Story: https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/crime/pattani-province-conflict-escalates-armed-militant-neutralised-local-peace-negotiator-killed

Thaiger

-- © Copyright Thaiger 2023-07-05

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

• Sad 2

So, the man inside shot through the door and hit someone which killed him. Then the 50 police officers opened fire filling the house full of lead in the hopes to hit someone/anyone. Sounds to me like the reporting on this was one sided to make the police look good. But have to wonder how the police knew there were no innocent bystanders in the house sleeping at 2am? Perhaps even a child or wife. One can only imagine. 

P.S. Photo is not of this incident. Just an example of what a house must look like after getting fired on by 50 guns trying to hit someone

download.jpg

Edited by thesetat
typos

3 hours ago, KhunLA said:

hmm ... maybe I'll wait till next year/rainy season to go south.

See how the withdraw of military plays out vs increased terrorist activity.

You were thinking of visiting Yala, Pattani and Narathiwat? It's certainly the road less travelled.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Stocky said:

You were thinking of visiting Yala, Pattani and Narathiwat? It's certainly the road less travelled.

A reply last Saturday from newnative put the thought back in my mind.  I think the only 3 or 4 provinces I haven't visited yet. 

Every time I think about it, I talk myself out of it.  Such as last month, while on Phuket ????

I like 'less travelled' and all the photos I see of, look nice.   We easily self entertain ... and finding a good beef massaman & roti shop would simply be a plus.

A few snaps of birds that don't get much further N would be real nice.  Add to my collection.

Edited by KhunLA

1 hour ago, Stocky said:

Yes indeed. On one ocassion during my time in Thailand, I had the opportunity of visiting Sungai Kolok on the Malaysian border, travelling by train all the way from Chiang Mai. I changed onto a day/night train in Bangkok right through to SK (23 hours!).  SK is a typical bustling Thai border town and I made a one day visit to Kota Bharu in Malaysia. There were no extremist problems when I visited in the late 90's. I stayed in a rural area outside the main city of SK (photo)

Sungai Golok (Ko-lok) Southern Thailand – Kelantan, Malaysia - Places and  Foods

I returned to Chiang Mai by air from Narathiwat via Bangkok DMK, the International Airport in those days.

4 minutes ago, Burma Bill said:

I had the opportunity of visiting Sungai Kolok on the Malaysian border

I used to visit Golok when working in Malaysia, also during the 90s, it was the nearest point for a visa run. A couple nights R&R staying at the Marina Hotel, they had a night club in the basement which was fairly wild on a weekend.

• Thumbs Up 1