Why you should never leave a negative hotel review in Thailand

webfact

Actually, I'd say that it's all the more reason for as many foreigners as possible to leave negative reviews where justified. What are these idiots going to do, fine or lock up tens or even hundreds of thousands of paying visitors who've simply written about a poor experience in the Land of Stupidity? Great, that would be the end of Thailand as a serious quality or family tourist destination. Please do force the issue and let's see what the political ninnies in Bangkok do about it.

• Thumbs Up 1

How to write a bad review? "Didn't like the food"; "The room wasn't as clean as most international visitors are used to."

It is only when you become vindictive that you might leave yourself open to defamation charges.

• Thumbs Up 1

It depends on the wording in the context. No personal insults, better factually informative. The evaluation of facts is always subjective. A review should never be a vendetta.

- We were lucky and were able to use 2 comfortable sun loungers out of the 8 loungers on the pool deck.

- It was lovely in the swimming pool which was full of children playing.

- The hotel staff always tried to help us with one or the other problem.

It is same as the "secret language" in job references.

1 hour ago, McTavish said:

I once left a scathing, though 100% factual, review for a Bangkok hotel.  When reading about the Koh Chang episode I checked my old review with a view to deleting it until I noted the 1,000's of views.  Went walking the Google man past the address and the hotel site had been demolished, Asoke Towers now stands on that site.

I normally research places pretty well before dining or booking a room and have left 100's of positive reviews on both TripAdvisor and Google.

Asoke Towers in soi 21? That has stood there a long time. Well before TripAdvisor and even before the Internet?

The problem with reviews like this is that many are petty and vindictive by over entitled falangs. That was certainly the case in the famous Koh Chang incident a few years ago.

I have never had an issue with bad reviews, mostly because I usually try to make them constructive. Recognize underlying issues and efforts made. Usually service and hotels in Thailand are above their price point.

In these cases, how do they collect overseas? No Aussie court is going to enforce this.

9 minutes ago, Jackbenimble said:

Asoke Towers in soi 21? That has stood there a long time. Well before TripAdvisor and even before the Internet?

You're thinking of the accommodation towers, I'm talking 'office' tower 

image.png.fa2954ac318c611dd5cd77a8e661a902.png

• Thumbs Up 1

39 minutes ago, Ben Zioner said:

And sadly I wouldn't believe any of your reports, as I know that the system can be manipulated in the most ruthless fashion. Reading reports of doubtful veracity is just a waste of time.

Up to you. 

Fortunately my intellect allows me to see thru the crap and I have seen many instances of manipulation.  Friends call me sherlock.

My wife runs a homestay. Shortly after she opened she got a TripAdvisor review of 1/5. (Thankfully every review since has been 5/5.) The review was by a Thai male and made several very weird and incorrect comments. My wife tried to get the review removed, told TA the person had never stayed since at that time as she was yet to host a male guest, but no success. She didn't ever consider taking legal action.

As an aside the funniest thing I have seen is a new place near us get a 10/10 on Booking. Fine effort since they had not opened, in fact, the building was maybe only 60% complete at the time. Thinking someone tried to game the system. Took them 18 months after opening to get another review, yep, another 10/10. Last I saw they seem to have closed.

Swings and roundabouts, imo. I've spoken to restaurant and bar owners who have been threatened with bad reviews if they don't give freebies, etc. Usually the owner or manager can reply directly to negative reviews by offering an explanation or rebuttal. Or a refund / free meal if the review was accurate.

When you read some of the scathing reviews on Google or Tripadvisor, it comes over like the reviewer has been watching too much "Masterchef", Gordon Ramsey, or some other gormless confrontational tv program that gets ratings for being controversial, blah blah. Leaving a cowardly tirade online, instead of addressing any problems directly.

4 hours ago, KhunLA said:

I have, and simply need to word it correctly.

You could even make it comical ... with praise.

... thank you for not supplying toiletries, as we travel with our own.

... thank you not changing the soiled sheets/bed covering, as we travel with a top sheet.

... thank you not providing water to drink.

... so glad your restaurant had very small portions, as my spouse is overweight.

... thank you for not providing a lift.

... as all these keep your overhead low, and we didn't mind paying just a bit more than the other hotel that do provide those extras, as we only like walking up the 5 floors of steps, instead of using the elevator, for needed exercise.

or :  Sorry, I would like to review aspects of (enter name of daft hotel here) restaurant, housekeeping, service , politeness, price cheating.... but I will not . I want to return to Thailand (a different hotel maybe ) and do not want to end up in jail for saying what I think and experience.

By the way, exchange that maoist logo you have, mate , it used to stand for beautiful, unique but technically wanting automobiles, now it stands for fascist chinese copy of western and japanese technology and design and government financial support to flood the market and make up their own WTO rules. And : Free Tibet, free East Turkestan, Free Taiwan, Free Hongkong, open the concentration camps and free Chinese who think for themselves.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, KhunLA said:

I have, and simply need to word it correctly.

You could even make it comical ... with praise.

... thank you for not supplying toiletries, as we travel with our own.

... thank you not changing the soiled sheets/bed covering, as we travel with a top sheet.

... thank you not providing water to drink.

... so glad your restaurant had very small portions, as my spouse is overweight.

... thank you for not providing a lift.

... as all these keep your overhead low, and we didn't mind paying just a bit more than the other hotel that do provide those extras, as we only like walking up the 5 floors of steps, instead of using the elevator, for needed exercise.

Good positive outlook. Thank you for no locks on doors as we enjoy a breeze.

• Haha 1

I always leave a review good or bad ! 

If the service and facilities are good I will let them know.

If the service and facilities are obviously bad , I'll let them know sooner ????

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DjSilver said:

This is the reason exactly WHY we need to leave bad review if we feel to do that. Don't let these narrow minded Thais win.

Ive left several on google maps and they are still up......I have a burner email account..

Catch me if you can!

• Thumbs Up 1

26 minutes ago, tomacht8 said:

On the other hand, I don't write reviews about my 3-4 favorite hotels and bungalows which I visit regularly. I would be very annoyed if they were overcrowded and then always fully booked. :post-4641-1156694572: 

agreed!   i dont want the place crawling with dirty falangs!! ????

4 minutes ago, Polaky said:

Plenty of people leave factual negative reviews to assist their fellow travellers and nothing ever comes of it, without these reviews we would be staying in absolute horrible hotels, so we owe them a great deal of thanks.

I agree. Rating systems force hotels, restaurants, bars to optimize their product. Honest and constructive customer feedback helps. The worst thing for business are unhappy customers who don't complain at all; they stay away and are lost forever. 

They don't know have any idea what sarcasm is.  Use it to your advantage. You can say almost anything you want to them as long as you preface it strategically.

"Thank you so much for this ticket officer. I noticed you are only stopping and fining farangs today and that's so nice of you.  Thank you for being such a dirty corrupt @$#*&#""

BIB "Welcome!"

6 minutes ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

I can confirm this is not a good idea.......do not poke the tiger in the cage.... or tap on the glass

I exaggerated a little bit but truth be told he did follow me for at least 30 minutes and tried to to run me off the road several times.  My flatbed was full of my GFs kids and their friends.  He had zero F's to give for their safety.  I keep my fingers in my nose now.

IF there are bad reviews, it means as manager, you are lazy to interact.

You sit on your but and just collect. Thai business helped by ridiculous laws.

But not only in Thailand it is like this, it is everywhere.

Only Thailand has such ridiculous laws.

How far you want to go, you take a blacklight with you, checking in in a hotel?

Maybe then you are way more troubled.

Blacklight shows you hidden things you maybe dont want to know, it can be really absurd.

I do give reviews, but mostly later and if im really impressed earlier.

I didn t know it could have an impact, as i made a very good review of Kinexchange in Hatyai. For the first time ever i received a feedback notification, it was viewed (last time i saw ) 10000 times. Amazing.