Retain parental visa in absence?

Probably a dumb question...been on a parent visa for 5 years. Was a real pain to get the first one...many trips to immigration with sponsors from our moo baan, photos with people from our moo baan. Was quite awkward because we dont really know anyone here and asking strangers to sign stuff, pose for photos in my home etc. After the initial one piece of cake every year. Anyway, quite possible I will have to go back home for a year or two. Is there anyway you can keep your visa going or if I let it lapse and come back a couple of years later, still living in the same house...will they make me do all the original run around again? The parental visa is virtually the same as marry visa. Just wondering if anyone had a similar experience

7 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

Is there anyway you can keep your visa going or if I let it lapse and come back a couple of years later, still living in the same house...will they make me do all the original run around again

"Anyway you can keep....." :NO

You will need start over..

If possible, arrange to come to Thailand for six weeks each year around the time the extension is due. If this is not possible, you will need to start again, either with a similar type of visa and extensions, or an alternative.

17 hours ago, BritTim said:

If possible, arrange to come to Thailand for six weeks each year around the time the extension is due. If this is not possible, you will need to start again, either with a similar type of visa and extensions, or an alternative.

It is possible, and do 90 days online....but its also quite possible they will see at some point you are stamped as out of the country. And you need put that info and latest entry stamp on your 90 days and application. It may not matter? Not sure on what the rules are re having a yearly visa and being out of the country 95% of that year

• Confused 1

There is no 90-day reporting when you are outside Thailand. Immigration does not care how much time you spend outside Thailand as long as you attend Immigration in Thailand, when necessary, for the annual extensions of your permission to stay.

53 minutes ago, BritTim said:

There is no 90-day reporting when you are outside Thailand. Immigration does not care how much time you spend outside Thailand as long as you attend Immigration in Thailand, when necessary, for the annual extensions of your permission to stay.

Wow, that's a game changer then. Only problem is when I do the yearly parental visa often takes 6 weeks + for approval and will need to be there in person to get my passport stamped. A brief one or two week visit ok but doubt I could do more than that. Other option I guess pay an agent to do it for me when the time ticks around. Hopefully they can do it without the actual passport and only copies to submit

1 hour ago, Kenny202 said:

Not sure on what the rules are re having a yearly visa and being out of the country 95% of that year

No rule. 

When someone obtains an extension that provides a permission of stay stamp and you protect that permission by obtaining a reentry permit.

In your case if you plan to be out of Thailand for more than a year the best option is to start over. 

Aside: the reference to 90 day reporting is irrelevant. 

Edited by DrJack54

36 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

Hopefully they can do it without the actual passport and only copies to submit

Stop dreaming. No passport to immigration no physical stamp in passport. 

• Like 1

On 7/6/2023 at 6:57 AM, Kenny202 said:

Is there anyway you can keep your visa going or if I let it lapse and come back a couple of years later, still living in the same house...will they make me do all the original run around again?

When leaving and not renewing the annual extension of stay within the time-frame, you loose your stay. You will later need to start all over again with a new non-immigrant visa and extensions of stay. However, you can keep your status by going to Thailand once a year with a re-entry permit and extend your annual extension of stay.