Life certificates and Thai post

soalbundy

On 7/8/2023 at 12:36 PM, Smokey and the Bandit said:
On 7/8/2023 at 11:47 AM, BritManToo said:

if you didn't tell them you were living outside the UK, you wouldn't need to deal with Life Certificates.

Not sure why they can't do it all via email though.

Expand  

Correct, but obviously you would need a UK address.

...and a UK bank to receive it, well, at least not a Thai bank raising red flags, 

3 hours ago, proton said:

why do they need them anyway? I thought when you die the embassy is informed who could then put your death in the system stopping payments, as happens when a death is registered in UK. 

It is also so that they can be advised of any change in the pensioner's circumstances, which is not unlikely for those living overseas.

8 minutes ago, Photoguy21 said:

I always use DHL to send documents out of country. It isnt cheap but you can track its progress and see when it is delivered.

EMS is faster I think, a letter costs 1,000 Baht (also with tracking service)

• Like 2

On 7/8/2023 at 4:38 AM, Robin said:

Can't speak for your BMW pension, but similar experience with UK DWP is that once they believe you are alive, they will pay all back pension without and further argument.  If you are still alive you will not be stopped any pension due to your not keeping DWP up to date.

A phone call to DWP, tedious and expensive though the wait may be, does the trick and restores payment including back payment. The phone call involves some not very tricky security questions to satisfy them it's you and then all seems to be fine again. 

3 minutes ago, Kalasin Jo said:

A phone call to DWP, tedious and expensive though the wait may be, does the trick and restores payment including back payment. The phone call involves some not very tricky security questions to satisfy them it's you and then all seems to be fine again. 

Yes that was my experience, the lady even wanted to know the last 4 numbers of my Thai bank account but I was relieved when she told me that they had received the life certificate. Worrying for me was when BMW couldn't acknowledge that they had received it, it wasn't registered in their system even though the EMS tracker showed it had been delivered 2 weeks earlier and their pension is a lot more than that from DWP (I didn't work in the UK very long). I am to ring back on Tuesday and if they still haven't got it I am to repeat the process, scan and email it.

My life certificate is on the way to Germany.

Sent as registered mail (not EMS). 250 Baht (pre COVID it was some 8x Baht).

From the tracking you can guess that it now sits idle at the notoriously slow Frankfurt customs check. Once took 6 days.

Screenshot_20230715_093935_Chrome.jpg

Edited by KhunBENQ

43 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

My life certificate is on the way to Germany.

Sent as registered mail (not EMS). 250 Baht (pre COVID it was some 8x Baht).

From the tracking you can guess that it now sits idle at the notoriously slow Frankfurt customs check. Once took 6 days.

Screenshot_20230715_093935_Chrome.jpg

Mine sent with EMS on 06.07 is of 13. 07 still flying towards Germany, so maybe Monday I will learn that it is also sleeping in Frankfurt.

• Like 1