Looking for peaceful retreat

bignok

52 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

If wanting to stay near Andaman Sea @ Phang-Nga, then just north of Sarasin Bridge.  Think I was one of the only farangs in the area.

Great for a sunset with plenty of local vendors around ... my snaps:

image.png.323ad7a335cd58c581c615d139b27fcf.png

Natai Beach

Might see one of my friends, cruising for a munch:

image.png.81522dee199f6ec1462b2ea372b8b4bc.png

There are a few good resorts between Sarasin, along the 3001 rural road up the 20km or so to Thai Muang, however, they're all in the 3000baht+ category.   Also, apart from the hotels themselves, limited in food options apart from the occasional stall.   The beach road just north of Thai Muang has a few restaurants and some camping next to the national park at the end.   The sea isn't recommended this time of year though.

IIRC Doi Mae Salong has several resorts close to the top, think the pricing was about 800- 1000 baht/night. Certainly quiet enough.

The road into Mae Sai is also an option, accommodation off the main drag.

Charin Garden on the 118 has accommodation, should be quiet at night.

I once did a scooter circuit with my GF, CR - Mae Suai - Fang - Thaton - Mae Chan- CR. Lots of accommodation.

Edited by Lacessit

On 7/9/2023 at 8:50 AM, bignok said:

Even better if monthly deal. Some food, scenary, few things to do. No bogans, chavs or wannabes. Prefer Thai area.

Possibly try to find on your own with some research. There are a vast amount of areas and small towns. Chose a region and rent a car and explore until you find a place you’re comfortable with. Return the car and come back on a bus, and rent a car or motorcycle locally. 

On 7/9/2023 at 9:13 AM, scubascuba3 said:

I enjoyed Mai Hong Son, good trekking, can stop at Pai on the way

Wife dragged me to Banrakthai MHS last winter, total tourist trap, mostly Thai tourists. Then she dragged me to Pai, I reluctantly agreed, total tourist trap mostly westerners, what a clown show that was. But she really enjoyed watching the tourists. She’s already making plans for another go at it and I have a firm NO go or plan on being too sick to go ????

Edited by novacova
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, novacova said:

Wife dragged me to Banrakthai MHS last winter, total tourist trap, mostly Thai tourists. Then she dragged me to Pai, I reluctantly agreed, total tourist trap mostly westerners, what a clown show that was. But she really enjoyed watching the tourists. She’s already making plans for another go at it and I have a firm NO go or plan on being too sick to go ????

You're a joy to be with ... not a fan of Thai or western tourist ????

If anything of interest, there's going to be some tourist there, inclusive.

Had to G 'Ban Rak Thai', looks pretty cool.

Edited by KhunLA

1 minute ago, KhunLA said:

You're a joy to be with ... not a fan of Thai or western tourist ????

If anything of interest, there's going to be some tourist there, inclusive.

No. absolutely not a fan of small places with a densely packed crowd of tourists, especially pai- good grief???????????? not my idea of rest and relaxation.

• Thumbs Up 1

19 minutes ago, novacova said:

No. absolutely not a fan of small places with a densely packed crowd of tourists, especially pai- good grief???????????? not my idea of rest and relaxation.

Im the same. 

20 minutes ago, bignok said:

Phayao seems best. Not full of annoying tourists and airport 1 hr away.

Phayao is a calm small city, not far from where we live. A lot of nice places within an hour’s drive. Chances are if you go to a park or waterfall, you’ll probably be the only person there. Go to Chiangmai park, garden or whatever outside of the city, good luck finding a place to park a vehicle. 

2 hours ago, novacova said:

popular places get touristy, when i went to MHS it wasn't like that, most fat tourists won't go trekking

• Sad 2

28 minutes ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

same same..but different ?

I went trekking up there about 30 odd years ago and the overnight stays where someone's house in the village. 2 story flash place with a seethru bamboo floor with the pigs underneath to eat the food scraps.

Always had someone show up with a magic pipe to ease the pain.

4 minutes ago, carlyai said:

I went trekking up there about 30 odd years ago and the overnight stays where someone's house in the village. 2 story flash place with a seethru bamboo floor with the pigs underneath to eat the food scraps.

Always had someone show up with a magic pipe to ease the pain.

sangsom eases my pain...whenever im on this forum ????