How Can She Learn English ?

We´d like to support one of my wifes nieces and sponsor her English lessons. The problem is that she´s working fulltime at Pantip Plaza from 8.30 am till 6.00 sometimes 7.00 pm. She has one day off at Thursdays.

What would be the options for her to learn English, she´s 18 y old and is staying in the Sathorn area. She only has basic Thai education and her English is next to nill. The support for her should not exceed 5000 Baht a month.

How can we help this smart girl ?

We´d like to support one of my wifes nieces and sponsor her English lessons. The problem is that she´s working fulltime at Pantip Plaza from 8.30 am till 6.00 sometimes 7.00 pm. She has one day off at Thursdays.

What would be the options for her to learn English, she´s 18 y old and is staying in the Sathorn area. She only has basic Thai education and her English is next to nill. The support for her should not exceed 5000 Baht a month.

It seems you have to find a way for her to have time to study, no language is going to just pop in your head without serious effort. Allowing her to work less hours seems to be the only way and that may take more than 5000 baht a month though not much more.

If she's commuting to and from work: buy her a MP3 player or tape recorder and buy tapes for learning English; she has to start from zero, so if she's eager she will learn, one way or another.

LaoPo

Just a thought Mike, but why don't you try teaching her the basics yourself before you go throwing money around enrolling in language courses? Please remember after a long day at work her concentration/energy levels are going to be low! This way you'll find out if she really has the desire to learn and secondly doing some initial study with someone she knows and trusts will help her with confidence, in my opinion the major problem with new students!

if she actually speaks zero, you can start with easy easy basics.. colors, numbers, pleasantries, days, etc etc etc. introduce her to the written language. I guess this could prove difficult depnding how much thai you speak and how much english your wife/gf can speak. One important thing is getting her to interact with foreigners so she can start to get a more clear accent kinda thing.

Getting her a language CD and some books is definitely something worth to try.And it won´t cost a fortune.

I can´t teach her English as we live in Germany now.

I´ll make enquiries to AUA Rachadamer,Callan and goodwillbangkok. Thank you for this advice.

I´ll get back to you if my enquiries fail

I only have one Thai friend who has taken courses all over town, and he rates them in this order (in terms of the English courses he has taken):

1. British Council

2. Inlingua (or Interlingua, not sure what the brand is)

3. Wall Street

4. ECC

Naturally the best on his list is also the most expensive. Good luck.

"Steven"