Jomtien changing the rules again?

6 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

@chilly07 you start a thread and not visit Asean Now since then...

From the opening post of this topic I understand that chilly07 is wheelchair-bound, so we should perhaps not be impatient.

The sad fact seems to be that so-called visa agents in Pattaya do not want to assist with uncomplicated applications for a retirement extension with monthly income, and I have been wracking my brain to figure out how we might help him.

It isn't just footwork that he will have to do himself, but wheelchair travel. Perpaps a law firm, using their standard hourly tariff plus travel expenses, would do it. I remember that Sunbelt used to do it in Bangkok and hopefully someone knows of a law firm in Pattaya offering this "hand-holding" service for an application where all requirements including the finances are met. 

Does anyone have an idea?

• Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, kinyara said:

I find the Visa Section of the Pattaya City Expats website a useful reference point in keeping up with the actual local office situation. They seem to have enough members that any real changes consistently affecting applicants are highlighted.  https://pcec.club/.  I always check it in advance of doing anything in Immigration for latest requirements and paperwork.

I know the person that provides the information on Immigration matters for their website.  He relies on reports from expats of their first hand experience to keep the site updated.  I did my renewal in mid-June at Jomtien Immigration office using the 65k monthly income method (from USA, so no Embassy letter) - I used the checklist from their site for the documents needed (as I have done for the past several years) and encountered no problems at Immigration in doing my renewals.  

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/9/2023 at 1:31 PM, doctormann said:

Me too.  I've used an agent for the last three years with no issues whatsoever.  OK, it costs a few Baht but it's worth it to avoid visiting Soi 5!

I extended my permission to stay just three weeks ago, using the 65k per month method.  Nice new stamp in the passport and, as you say, the signature is just the same as it always has been.

Can you say which agent? 

35 minutes ago, xeniv23 said:

Last extension in Phuket.  Showed up at the miserably small outdoor waiting area with the paperwork in hand.  IO checked my paperwork.  Told me that my bank statement for income needed to start exactly one year from my new prospective date.  I had the statement from the 1st of the month showing that month's income (it's paid on the 1st of every month).  Off to the bank for a new statement and letter. 

Back the next day.  Inside an older IO who appeared to be in charge.  He yelled, and I mean yelled, and told me that I was not eligible for an extension because I could not show 12 months of income.....  I pulled out the other statement and he would not accept it even though it showed the income had actually arrived in my account per the requirement.  He told me to get out.  Completely at a loss as to what was going on.  Went home and calmed down.   Went back the next day and handed in my paperwork.  Sat in the heat for a couple of hours and was approved by some other IO.   It seems to me as if there is a concerted effort to drive everyone to use an agent.  My guess is that it is income related for the immigration folks.  Make it as unpleasant as possible for self filers like me.  Ok.  I can afford an agent so it's possible I will choose that road in the future.  I would prefer not to.   

Then the question becomes:  How do you know the agent is for real?  I have read a handful of articles about fake agents and it turns out you don't have an extension at all and are in violation of immigration laws and get rather large fines and other kinds of  unpleasantness.  I'm stubborn and will keep filing on my own until that no longer works.  Without going into detail I spend a couple million baht a year here.  Of course I don't believe that gives me a right to be here.  It seems to me that I was given a retirement visa by the Thai government because they believed that I would spend money here.  That's my purpose, in their eyes, and I do it well.   Seems like we are the folks that they would like to hang on to.  Maybe I'm wrong about that.  

Consider switching to an LTR-WP (Long Term Resident Wealthy Pensioner) visa. It seems likely that you would qualify, and it frees you from the tyranny of rogue immigration offices. You do need to have good medical insurance but, unlike with the Non O-A visas, they really do accept appropriate overseas plans.

On 7/9/2023 at 12:31 PM, doctormann said:

Me too.  I've used an agent for the last three years with no issues whatsoever.  OK, it costs a few Baht but it's worth it to avoid visiting Soi 5!

I extended my permission to stay just three weeks ago, using the 65k per month method.  Nice new stamp in the passport and, as you say, the signature is just the same as it always has been.

How did you confirm your 65k pm to your agent?

8 minutes ago, chilly07 said:

How did you confirm your 65k pm to your agent?

Bank provided a 12-month record of all foreign deposits, also a letter confirming that the account is mine.  Passbook was updated - the account balance has to match the amount stated in the confirmation letter.

This obviously requires a visit to the bank but NOT to the Immigration office.

I find the Visa Section of the Pattaya City Expats website a useful reference point in keeping up with the actual local office situation. They seem to have enough members that any real changes consistently affecting applicants are highlighted.  https://pcec.club/.  I always check it in advance of doing anything in Immigration for latest requirements and paperwork.

Exactly.  When I traveled to USA in February the Immigration Officer removed my 90 day & tm30 slips (never had that happen before).  Upon return I went to Jomtien Immigration to do another tm30.  Was told because I had a retirement (OA) visa I didn't need.  Hmmm that surprised me but fair enough.  Fast forward to June and it's time to renew/extend my retirement visa.  So as always I check the Pattaya City Expats website and I read tm30's now required to extend retirement visa.  I go to immigration to apply for a tm30.  I explained to the Immigration girl (as I showed her the old application from February) and asked if I was previously told wrong or did the rules change?  She just handed me my tm30 with a very big courteous smile.  Close enough for me and even though I was a few months late - no fine.

Next day to the bank for letter of deposit.  Next day after that (Wednesday) go back to Immigration at 8am (30 min before open) and get queue (#3) and finished about 9.   The only difference I saw this time is that the Immigration Officer made a copy of the tm30 and added it to the papers (my signature not required).  Personally, I can't justify using an agent for what only takes an hour or two of your time but everyone has their own personal reasons.  A couple of my friends say they don't want to expose themselves to covid - Fair enough.

• Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, 1FinickyOne said:

Me too - did my own for many years but for a nominal fee all the paperwork is done and done correctly. I do have to get the letter from the bank which is no big deal - and I have to sign here, sign here, at the agents office and they make an appointment for me at Immigration and I am there for 2 minutes as they take my photo and all is finished...

No worries. No angst. 

If you are doing this in Pattaya, the OP will probably be happy if you let him know the name and details of your agent.

If you are not doing this in Pattaya, please say so.

On 7/9/2023 at 12:14 PM, jaideedave said:

Agree, I've come to believe thats true also.I did my own for years until I was asked one time too many for some ridiculous copy or info and gave up.

I only use agents these days and never enter that building any more.The signature on the actual Visa is exactly the same person every year.

When you think about it it's easy money for them and they don't have to deal with the farang. 

Win/Win

May I ask, how much do you pay for the agent? And do you actually have the 800k in the bank?

3 hours ago, JoseThailand said:

May I ask, how much do you pay for the agent? And do you actually have the 800k in the bank?

I used to keep 800k in an account but I bought gold with it to diversify..Maneerat Soi PO. 12,500

On 7/13/2023 at 5:49 AM, JoseThailand said:

Maneerat (Pattaya) charge 8,000b (includes the 1,900b immigration fee) to do your extension if you have the 800K in the bank, 12,500 if you don’t.

Add on another 4,000b if you want a multi re-entry permit at the same time.

Edited by Mike Teavee
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

Maneerat (Pattaya) charge 8,000b (includes the 1,900b immigration fee) to do your extension if you have the 800K in the bank, 12,500 if you don’t

If funds not in bank which immigration office does the stamps? 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

I believe it’s the same (Jomtien) either way but have always used the 800K in the bank so don’t know for sure. 

My understanding based of few folk I have chatted with is if you actually have the funds in the bank then stamps issued at Jomtien immigration.

Without funds the pp is sent upcountry for stamp. (Previously KK) 

• Confused 2

25 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

My understanding based of few folk I have chatted with is if you actually have the funds in the bank then stamps issued at Jomtien immigration.

Without funds the pp is sent upcountry for stamp. (Previously KK) 

I have heard that Conversions are done up-country but had always assumed normal extensions were done locally.

As mentioned I keep the 800K in the bank but use an agent for convenience sake so I couldn't say for sure, perhaps somebody who uses an Agent to "Provide" the 800K could comment. 

On 7/9/2023 at 12:14 PM, jaideedave said:

Agree, I've come to believe thats true also.I did my own for years until I was asked one time too many for some ridiculous copy or info and gave up.

I have thought so for many years... in my case I believed it to be the long queues at immigration standing outside etc.  I hear that has recently changed for the better )in Pattaya) with a new building.. but the effort is still onerous! 

OP I have not heard of any changes and it sounds like some confusion. 

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 1

On 7/9/2023 at 12:54 PM, garygooner said:

Don't you have to visit soi 5 immigration with the agent to have your photo taken?  

Officially, this is a requirement, but it is one of the several conditions that can be waived at the discretion of the senior official (validly, to deal with cases like someone in a care home).