Travel Health Insurance from Thailand

churchill

Some travel insurance will indeed cover "acute exacerbations" of pre-existing conditions. Remember that travel policies cover only emergency care, so this will not help those seeking long term health cover, but can work well for those who already have health cover in their country of residence and just need protection in case of emergency while traveling.

What is your country of nationality and do you have health cover there? (Insurer may want to know and may affect your insurance options). And how old are you?

9 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Some travel insurance will indeed cover "acute exacerbations" of pre-existing conditions. Remember that travel policies cover only emergency care, so this will not help those seeking long term health cover, but can work well for those who already have health cover in their country of residence and just need protection in case of emergency while traveling.

What is your country of nationality and do you have health cover there? (Insurer may want to know and may affect your insurance options). And how old are you?

Hi Sheryl / I am from UK ( would be covered by NHS in case of an emergency onlu )  , 64 and have insurance with Aetna, they offer some health insurance whilst travelling but do not cover existing conditions . I am wondering if I can take out an additional heath insurance which will cover exclusions , basically artrial fibrillation in case of an emergency .

Edited by churchill

15 hours ago, churchill said:

Hi Sheryl / I am from UK ( would be covered by NHS in case of an emergency onlu )  , 64 and have insurance with Aetna, they offer some health insurance whilst travelling but do not cover existing conditions . I am wondering if I can take out an additional heath insurance which will cover exclusions , basically artrial fibrillation in case of an emergency .

https://www.travelinsurance.com

is a clearing house that will provide list of policies based on your details. You will have to read each one to find out if they cover pre-existing (may have to purchase a specific waiver for it)

• Like 1

18 hours ago, churchill said:

Is there any travel health insurance covering Europe and Asia which covers existing conditions

You need to separate the words "travel" and "health" as they are 2 different types of  policy and you have not really indicated why you require the policy.

When I used to live in UK and travel to Thailand I used several travel insurance providers and I think they all asked for pre existing conditions, but not sure if that is still the case.

Since coming to Thailand I used AXA travel insurance up until I reached their upper age limit of 74 and they never required that pre existing conditions be declared. Each section of the policy has set exclusions and for health pre existing conditions would only come into play in the event of a claim. The company I have used more recently works in the same way. As the exclusions are embedded in the policy you may find it difficult to get around that with a company in Thailand.

It is all a bit of a minefield and you may need a belt and braces approach using both types of policy.

4 hours ago, sandyf said:

You need to separate the words "travel" and "health" as they are 2 different types of  policy and you have not really indicated why you require the policy.

When I used to live in UK and travel to Thailand I used several travel insurance providers and I think they all asked for pre existing conditions, but not sure if that is still the case.

Since coming to Thailand I used AXA travel insurance up until I reached their upper age limit of 74 and they never required that pre existing conditions be declared. Each section of the policy has set exclusions and for health pre existing conditions would only come into play in the event of a claim. The company I have used more recently works in the same way. As the exclusions are embedded in the policy you may find it difficult to get around that with a company in Thailand.

It is all a bit of a minefield and you may need a belt and braces approach using both types of policy.

Health insurance whilst travelling . 

6 hours ago, Sheryl said:

https://www.travelinsurance.com

is a clearing hose that will provide list of policies based on your details. You will have to read each one to find out if they cover pre-existing (may have to purchase a specific waiver for it)

It looks like pre-existing conditions can be covered but only in the case of an emergency 

44 minutes ago, churchill said:

Health insurance whilst travelling . 

There is health insurance and there is travel insurance, good luck finding both in a single policy.

You need to read the small print, I think with all the travel insurance I have had, the policy has had to have been issued in the country where the journey starts and ends.

That was certainly the case in 2021 when I got free travel insurance with my Emirates ticket. For Thai immigration I had to request a personalised copy of the policy issued in the UK.

As I said before you may well need both if you want cover for pre existing conditions. I think it would be a bit unwise to travel without the travel insurance.

BTW I also have AF,  what medication are you on, I take apixaban but a bit problematic getting it.

3 hours ago, sandyf said:

I also have AF,  what medication are you on, I take apixaban but a bit problematic getting it.

I just had an ablation for atrial flutter but now it seems I have AF !  Seeing the Dr again this Saturday , am currently on concor and Propafenone . She wants me to have another ablation , I think , but expensive as my insurance will not cover ( although they covered the atrial flutter ablation ) . I just looked up apixaban , this is a blood thinner , I also take it under the name Eliquis . ( I haven't had any problems buying it ) 

I used to buy travel insurance ages ago when I was in the UK but haven't for a long time .

Edited by churchill

7 hours ago, churchill said:

It looks like pre-existing conditions can be covered but only in the case of an emergency 

Health cover in travel policies is usually  limited to emergencies/urgent care that cannot wait.   Always is for pre-existing conditions and also often for other conditions as well.

For pre-existing as mentioned some policies will cover an "acute exacerbation" provided you were stable prior to taking the trip. Sometimes necessary to purchase a specific exclusion waiver hor this purpose.

In the case of AF, you would for examplf be covered for hospitalization necesitated by a sudden increase in heart rate (assuming heart rate was normal in hhe months prior to the trip) and for stroke, pulmonary embolism etc. 

• Like 1