US$2.8Bn worth of Thai durian exported to China in four months

snoop1130

668379D2-86C9-404C-BFBB-5C1E1FB20388.png

Thai durian exporters have capitalised on the ASEAN-China free trade agreement (FTA) and the Regional Comprehensive Economic Partnership Agreement (RCEP) by exporting about US$2.8 billion worth of fresh durian to China from January to April this year, a substantial increase of 85.31% over the same period last year, according to the Thai Foreign Trade Department.

Thai exports under the frameworks of 12 FTAs during the same period amounted to US$25.8 billion, an increase of 74.75% over the same period last year.

Exports of Thai durian to China are exempted from taxation under the ASEAN-China FTA and RCEP, which has helped to cut the costs, said Ronnarong Phoolpipat, director-general of Foreign Trade Department.

#news

Full Story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/us2-8bn-worth-of-thai-durian-exported-to-china-in-four-months/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2023-07-10

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Many Thais I know like durian. But for many, the price is now too high and they can no longer afford to enjoy the local durian. For the local Thais, this is the disadvantage of the export tax exemption for the Chinese.

Edited by tomacht8
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, tomacht8 said:

Many Thais I know like durian. But for many, the price is now too high and they can no longer afford to enjoy the local durian. For the local Thais, this is the disadvantage of the export tax exemption for the Chinese.

Chinese about to start growing their own and will drop Thailand after they've figured out how to dominate durian sales, even though in this article they promise not to (sure). 

https://www.chinadaily.com.cn/a/202305/10/WS645af9bda310b6054fad21c5.html#:~:text=South China's Hainan province is,be ready for market soon.

15 hours ago, tomacht8 said:

I had 2 bought for me this season.... but it is worrying that such a huge quantity were exported, especially if, as you say, many locals could not afford them this year.. If the Chinese want them, make them pay taxes.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

I had 2 bought for me this season.... but it is worrying that such a huge quantity were exported, especially if, as you say, many locals could not afford them this year.. If the Chinese want them, make them pay taxes.

The Chinese are buying durian at the source, straight to China deals with durian growers. Even Thai middlemen aren't getting a cut.