Putin meets Prigozhin: Getting to grips with latest twist in Wagner saga

Social Media

image.png

Russian President Vladimir Putin met Yevgeny Prigozhin five days after the Wagner mercenary boss led a failed mutiny, the Kremlin has revealed. The BBC's Russia Editor gets to grips with the latest twist in the Wagner saga.

So, let me get this straight.

On the morning of 24 June, the day of the mutiny, Vladimir Putin accused the Wagner leadership of "treachery" and "a stab in the back". Later that day, Russian air force pilots were killed, shot down by Wagner fighters.

Then, with the mercenaries just 200km (120 miles) from the Russian capital, the Kremlin and Wagner did a deal. The mutiny was over. No-one was arrested. No-one has been prosecuted.

Not only was Yevgeny Prigozhin not clapped in irons and hauled off to the police station for his rebellion.

It's now emerged that five days later he was in the Kremlin, together with his commanders, sitting round the table and chatting with President Putin.

Yet another twist and turn in a story that's already surpassed Dostoyevsky for levels of surprise and mystery.

FULL STORY

image.png

I agree with you,perhaps this is why the Ukrainians haven’t pushed down towards Mariupol to trap the orks on the Crimea peninsula.they have gotten behind the Russian positions allready 

3 minutes ago, Tug said:

I agree with you,perhaps this is why the Ukrainians haven’t pushed down towards Mariupol to trap the orks on the Crimea peninsula.they have gotten behind the Russian positions allready 

It's a sad carry on the whole Ukraine war thing with Russia is not looking good IMHO as said before I cannot see an end of any kind until Putin is out of it,that said who knows what comes next.

The whole idea behind a country having nuclear weapons is don't the four letter word with me at the end of the day.

So tread carefully western war monger.

3 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

It's a sad carry on the whole Ukraine war thing with Russia is not looking good IMHO as said before I cannot see an end of any kind until Putin is out of it,that said who knows what comes next.

The whole idea behind a country having nuclear weapons is don't the four letter word with me at the end of the day.

So tread carefully western war monger.

It’s to bad the Russian people are saddled with a gangster style of government they deserve better the Russian people could if given the chance contribute greatly to the world.Unfortunately presently they only bring death crime and grief the only war monger here is Russia under the direction of an evil criminal leader.the rest of the world are trying to hold him in check and the Ukrainians people are fighting for their existence all stop!salva Ukraine ???????? evict the invaders!

11 hours ago, Tug said:

It’s to bad the Russian people are saddled with a gangster style of government they deserve better the Russian people could if given the chance contribute greatly to the world.Unfortunately presently they only bring death crime and grief the only war monger here is Russia under the direction of an evil criminal leader.the rest of the world are trying to hold him in check and the Ukrainians people are fighting for their existence all stop!salva Ukraine ???????? evict the invaders!

Just shows how some gullible people can be when a media black out is enforced and believing what Putin says or on the otherhand they better stay quiet.

Also understandable that many Russians got out of Russia, last I read allegedly only 13% of Russians agree with the war.

10 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Also understandable that many Russians got out of Russia, last I read allegedly only 13% of Russians agree with the war.

Apparently, you haven't been doing much reading for the past 2 years. The only reference I can find to that 13% figure is from a poll that Levada took before the war began.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Apparently, you haven't been doing much reading for the past 2 years. The only reference I can find to that 13% figure is from a poll that Levada took before the war began.

Well lots of media sources out there when I search Google are dated so hence the word allegedly.

51% support mentioned for July 2566 I would say it's even lower than that.

1 hour ago, placeholder said:

Apparently, you haven't been doing much reading for the past 2 years. The only reference I can find to that 13% figure

You won't find any reference to your aptly domineering retort for 13% because the Russians are not allowed to express their views freely when governed by warlords.

4 minutes ago, Hamus Yaigh said:

You won't find any reference to your aptly domineering retort for 13% because the Russians are not allowed to express their views freely when governed by warlords.

My retort was "aptly domineering"? Thanks, I guess.

And there's this:

What Secret Russian State Polling Tells Us About Support for the War
https://www.themoscowtimes.com/2022/12/06/what-secret-russian-state-polling-tells-us-about-support-for-the-war-a79596

This, too.

https://www.levada.ru/en/2023/04/24/are-meaningful-public-opinion-polls-possible-in-today-s-russia/

Wagner boss Yevgeny Prigozhin ‘dead or in prison’ after Putin meeting

Russia’s top mercenary Yevgeny Prigozhin has probably been murdered after leading a failed rebellion against the Kremlin regime, a former senior US military leader has suggested.

Prigozhin, the Wagner Group chief, ordered his soldiers to march on Moscow last month amid an ongoing feud with Russia’s top military brass about its strategy in the Ukraine war.

“I personally don’t think he is, and if he is, he’s in a prison somewhere,” Robert Abrams, a retired general, told ABC News when asked if he thought the warlord was alive.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/prigozhin-dead-jail-us-commander-b2374514.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, placeholder said:

Wagner boss Yevgeny Prigozhin ‘dead or in prison’ after Putin meeting

Russia’s top mercenary Yevgeny Prigozhin has probably been murdered after leading a failed rebellion against the Kremlin regime, a former senior US military leader has suggested.

Prigozhin, the Wagner Group chief, ordered his soldiers to march on Moscow last month amid an ongoing feud with Russia’s top military brass about its strategy in the Ukraine war.

“I personally don’t think he is, and if he is, he’s in a prison somewhere,” Robert Abrams, a retired general, told ABC News when asked if he thought the warlord was alive.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/prigozhin-dead-jail-us-commander-b2374514.html

There has been no images nor video of Prigozhin since his "coup" happened. My bet is he is long dead. Putin plays for keeps.