Listening to UK radio online (and watching tv playback come to that)

Kevin1908

I am on a 2 month holiday to Thailand. Since some smart <deleted> saw to take Absolute Radio off of FM I listen to it online. So I thought I could listen online here also. I got some message that it detected I was not in the UK and some legality issue or other but asked me what post code I was listening from. Well given that it had already detected I wasn't in the UK anyway I put my home post code in anyway and I was connected. Have I broken some law or other?

Whilst on that subject I assume I can't get UK tv on playback but as I am a UK tv licence fee payer why can't I listen on playback? What does not being in the UK have to do with it?

Same in my case I tried to listen to Los Angeles Dodgers games on a local Los Angeles radio station online and was blocked.  I used a VPN and it worked for a while.  Now the radio station has a VPN detector and I am blocked again. Have been a Dodgers fan for many years and had to pony up the money for MLB streaming.  Small price to pay for living in LOS.

• Thumbs Up 1

I listen to uk radio stations on Radio Garden.

Have Netflix via my UK daughter.

The only I want to watch on TV is MotoGP and to get it free watch a recording on Utube which does me.

Listen to any type of music on Spotify so I'm sorted really.

A while ago I used to work for spanish company at Heathrow airport that had all its servers in Madrid. Two annoying things when I used to check the traffic going home I got all the traffic jams in Madrid and Camelot blocked be doing the lottery online. Ironically it was the Euromillions I did anyway. Now I do it by direct debit. At least I don't have that problem while on holiday.

18 minutes ago, Kevin1908 said:

I am on a 2 month holiday to Thailand. Since some smart <deleted> saw to take Absolute Radio off of FM I listen to it online. So I thought I could listen online here also. I got some message that it detected I was not in the UK and some legality issue or other but asked me what post code I was listening from. Well given that it had already detected I wasn't in the UK anyway I put my home post code in anyway and I was connected. Have I broken some law or other?

Whilst on that subject I assume I can't get UK tv on playback but as I am a UK tv licence fee payer why can't I listen on playback? What does not being in the UK have to do with it?

One reason you can get TV playback over here is that the BBC sell a lot of programs other countries ,when  the BBC took Top Gear off air they also lost a good few Millon pounds from rights.

If you want to listen to the BBC just use BBC Sounds, I do most days on my mobile phone.

21 hours ago, Sigma6 said:

For TV get a firestick and an IPTV package - easy to take everywhere you travel

I have exactly what you have suggested BUT I could not get it to work in the six weeks that I have just spent all over Thailand, I found that mostly I was unable to connect to the internet or if I did then everything just hung, my assumption being that the hotel internet system was not up to it as most of them appear to be still running on 3G, Any suggestions on this would be appreciated for my next visit.

Thanks in advance.

I'd like to recommend a very inexpensive service "Getflix" Aussie based and works well here in Thailand. What's special about their service is how you can tailor their DNS and VPN services. DNS is great as many devices and smart TV's don't support VPN, I use their DNS service with my Apple TV, using the closest DNS server which is in Malaysia. Bandwidth is unaffected (no slowdown) on streaming. What is special about this service is you can select what countries you want to unlock for whichever services. I.e. they give you the ability to steam UK, USA Brazil or many different Netflix services. I just used a few of the countries available, Swiss services are also available. Also what is cool you can turn a stream redirect off from their APP if you would like to use the local stream. I find this great here in Thailand as Thai Netflix often has the new series before the Netflix of my home country.

Same as many others have mentioned about radio, my home station I cannot listen to unless I use the VPN for my city and then their APP works perfectly listening to baseball and talk radio. 

So try their free trial period and see if it works for your needs.

On 7/11/2023 at 11:05 AM, Kevin1908 said:

Have a look at *LBC listen live * works perfectly on my iPad and telephone. For TV Get a small Amazon stick ( google) works great loads of English Channels or ask your landlord office. My condo office lent me one free of charge !!!!

4 hours ago, Jimjim1 said:

I have exactly what you have suggested BUT I could not get it to work in the six weeks that I have just spent all over Thailand, I found that mostly I was unable to connect to the internet or if I did then everything just hung, my assumption being that the hotel internet system was not up to it as most of them appear to be still running on 3G, Any suggestions on this would be appreciated for my next visit.

Thanks in advance.

Some IPTV providers have a country lock - so the 1st thing to check is to ask if your account is locked to your home country.

Check your wifi strength and  ask condo office  / landlord  to help .Before renting again, check that the wifi is strong and sometimes condos have a choice of English channels already set up !  A friend of mine had it all in a rented studio !!

• Confused 1

I use TV Mucho.

It suits my needs as I'm only really interested in the basic UK TV channels, plus a few extras such as Dave, BBC3, etc. There's no 'on demand' feature but there is a record function which allows you to select programmes to record then watch back at a time and date convenient to you. You can of course watch the channels live in realtime however the time difference between the UK and Thailand does often pose a bit of a problem. 

There are various packages available but I think I pay around £5/month.

On 7/12/2023 at 8:09 AM, Soondae said:

I'd like to recommend a very inexpensive service "Getflix" Aussie based and works well here in Thailand. What's special about their service is how you can tailor their DNS and VPN services. DNS is great as many devices and smart TV's don't support VPN, I use their DNS service with my Apple TV, using the closest DNS server which is in Malaysia. Bandwidth is unaffected (no slowdown) on streaming. What is special about this service is you can select what countries you want to unlock for whichever services. I.e. they give you the ability to steam UK, USA Brazil or many different Netflix services. I just used a few of the countries available, Swiss services are also available. Also what is cool you can turn a stream redirect off from their APP if you would like to use the local stream. I find this great here in Thailand as Thai Netflix often has the new series before the Netflix of my home country.

Same as many others have mentioned about radio, my home station I cannot listen to unless I use the VPN for my city and then their APP works perfectly listening to baseball and talk radio. 

<snip>

I know i mentioned https://tunein.com/ before, but one thing I've noticed is that it never seems to need a VPN.

Its search facility allows for searching by Location, Content, Language etc and you can find some of the smallest and most obscure radio stations from around the world. EG...a former TGF was amazed when I used it to play her hometown (Chayaphum) station.

It appears to worry the BBC as it is NOT available on Tune In...however BBC Sounds works everywhere.

Before anyone asks, No, I don't have a pecuniary interest in Tune In but I do use it a lot.

On 7/11/2023 at 10:05 AM, Kevin1908 said:

You have TECHNICALLY broken UK law listening to Absolute whilst outside UK as their T&C for copyright issues only allow them to broadcast to UK listeners and you have lied to circumvent that. However in PRACTICAL terms, you are (IMO!) most unlikely to be investigated....for one thing, where could they start and how much resource would it take? (rhetorical question!)

Absolute basically appear to do the minimum they need to do to stop you, unlike the BBC of course!

VBF as an aside I was checking up what I need to do when I eventually give up the UK for good and apparently I HAVE to notify the TV licencing authority that I am leaving the country. Not sure what is has to do with them since it wont be me operating a tv at my former address but I suppose some beaurocrat has justified his or her existance.

6 minutes ago, Kevin1908 said:

VBF as an aside I was checking up what I need to do when I eventually give up the UK for good and apparently I HAVE to notify the TV licencing authority that I am leaving the country. Not sure what is has to do with them since it wont be me operating a tv at my former address but I suppose some beaurocrat has justified his or her existance.

If you don't own the property anymore it doesn't matter. 

On 7/12/2023 at 1:22 PM, geisha said:

Check your wifi strength and  ask condo office  / landlord  to help .Before renting again, check that the wifi is strong and sometimes condos have a choice of English channels already set up !  A friend of mine had it all in a rented studio !!

Why the face ? as I said, my condo office set up an Amazon stick for free, plugged in back of tv, I’d never seen one before as never needed. Also,I can confirm, good friend had all the programs set up on a huge TV by her landlord !  Does that surprise you ? It was in Pattaya / Jomtien . 

On 7/11/2023 at 4:19 PM, sqwakvfr said:

Same in my case I tried to listen to Los Angeles Dodgers games on a local Los Angeles radio station online and was blocked.  I used a VPN and it worked for a while.  Now the radio station has a VPN detector and I am blocked again. Have been a Dodgers fan for many years and had to pony up the money for MLB streaming.  Small price to pay for living in LOS.

Check out the Crew add on for KODI.

https://www.wirelesshack.org/how-to-install-the-crew-kodi-addon.html

I used it to watch NBA games live.

They've got practically every sport imaginable including pay-per-view boxing events free. 

23 hours ago, Kevin1908 said:

I will still own the property. I am not burning my bridges.

If that's the case then it may be as well to inform the nosey bu$$ers anyway. If you don't and if you have others staying in your property who fail to get a licence when they should, the TV Licencing people will summons you as the "occupier on record".

You'd only find out  if you visit UK and/or the summons has some side-effect on your finances or whatever.  Just a thought.

Edited by VBF

"the TV Licencing people will summons you as the "occupier on record".

You'd only find out  if you visit UK and/or the summons has some side-effect on your finances or whatever. " Yes typical of the way the UK does things now. We can't get at the person responsible so we will go after somebody who not responsible and hold them liaible.

21 hours ago, Kevin1908 said:

"the TV Licencing people will summons you as the "occupier on record".

You'd only find out  if you visit UK and/or the summons has some side-effect on your finances or whatever. " Yes typical of the way the UK does things now. We can't get at the person responsible so we will go after somebody who not responsible and hold them liaible.

I agree but to be fair, if you had accepted responsibility for payment in the past, and not informed the authorities of the change, it's is kind of your fault.

"I agree but to be fair, if you had accepted responsibility for payment in the past, and not informed the authorities of the change, it's is kind of your fault."

I don't get that at all. The requirement to pay the licence is if you have installed tv reception equipment. Irrespective of whether I am in the country of not if there is no tv receiver there is no need for a licence. What you are suggesting is to continue paying for a car licence even though you don't own a car. Anyway I did look at the TV licence web site and it clearly doesn't work outside of the UK so how do I inform them? I suppose that is my fault as well.

I found this "

You need a TV Licence if you: