Dual Citizenship

Has anything changed? I have three children that are born in Thailand of a Thai Mother and are in the family House book. They go to private school here and enjoy all benefits of being Thai. They also hold U.S. Passports and obviously the citizenship of both nations.

Now I am getting this story for the local drinking hole, that at age eighteen my children must deceide which citizenship they want and that they will have to loose the other one.

I have been through the Constitituion, the Thai Nationality Act and numerous outher sites and can find nothing of substance.

I know that the U.S. recognizes both citizenships and will not act to revoke unless that particlular citizenship is used to defraud or break federal criminal laws.

Could someone please shed some light on this with some reference to official things that can be downloaded or obtained through the web?

Moderators please remove from http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...c=11356&hl= as I placed it there by accident.

You're children are without a doubt Thai (because of their mother). They can obtain Thai passport at the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs (Chaengwattana Rd., BKK)

Because the children are also related to you, you can report the birth of your child(ren) at the ACS (American Consular Services) at the US Embassy in BKK. I believe that you will need to schedule an appointment. Prior to this appointment, the ACS will send you a packet of forms (one for each child) that you will need to complete.

If all of your children were born after you were married, then the process of acquiring citizenship is almost guaranteed. If not, then the ACS will advise you as to what documents are needed to prove the child is yours (i.e. your name of the child's birth certificate would help immensely).

If the ACS approves your application(s), then at the same instance you can apply for the US Passport and SSN-card for your children. Expect to shell out lots of money (about $125-$150 per child).

The "18-year old" rule is not true anymore. Just make sure your children obey the laws of both countries. The US also would frown upon your child's citizenship if they were to find out s/he joined the Thai military or government.

Btw, the infomation above is not comprehensive of all details of the process of acquiring US Citizenship, but the gist of it is. I hope it helps you.

Here's where to go for more accurate info: The ACS unit's fax number is (02) 205-4103, and the e-mail address is [email protected].

You're children are without a doubt Thai (because of their mother). They can obtain Thai passport at the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs (Chaengwattana Rd., BKK)

Because the children are also related to you, you can report the birth of your child(ren) at the ACS (American Consular Services) at the US Embassy in BKK. I believe that you will need to schedule an appointment. Prior to this appointment, the ACS will send you a packet of forms (one for each child) that you will need to complete.

If all of your children were born after you were married, then the process of acquiring citizenship is almost guaranteed. If not, then the ACS will advise you as to what documents are needed to prove the child is yours (i.e. your name of the child's birth certificate would help immensely).

If the ACS approves your application(s), then at the same instance you can apply for the US Passport and SSN-card for your children. Expect to shell out lots of money (about $125-$150 per child).

The "18-year old" rule is not true anymore. Just make sure your children obey the laws of both countries. The US also would frown upon your child's citizenship if they were to find out s/he joined the Thai military or government.

Btw, the infomation above is not comprehensive of all details of the process of acquiring US Citizenship, but the gist of it is. I hope it helps you.

Here's where to go for more accurate info: The ACS unit's fax number is (02) 205-4103, and the e-mail address is [email protected].

Ha! :o

I just re-read the OP. It appears the children already have their US Citizenship. Anyhow, "the 18-year old" rule does not apply. Period.

Here's what I've heard through the grapevine (thai wife and others). If at the age of 18 your son(s) still retain Thai citizenship, then they are available for the thai draft (army) and must serve their appropriate time. I think this is common knowledge of all thais, but I don't know where you can find this on the web.

I believe it is at that time (age 18) that they have to decide which citizenship to retain.

Maybe someone else has first hand experience of this.

Here's what I've heard through the grapevine (thai wife and others). If at the age of 18 your son(s) still retain Thai citizenship, then they are available for the thai draft (army) and must serve their appropriate time. I think this is common knowledge of all thais, but I don't know where you can find this on the web.

I believe it is at that time (age 18) that they have to decide which citizenship to retain.

Maybe someone else has first hand experience of this.

The child born to a foreign father has the choice of renouncing their citizenship between the ages of 20 and 21. Note though, it is an option only. If they do not make a choice, there is no penalty and they can continue on with their dual nationaity, as I have.

As for the military service, the answer is yes. All Thai men are liable to report for conscription. The number of conscripted per year is the difference between the number of men needed from each district and the number who have volunteered. If the quota is filled by volunteers, then none are conscripted in that year.

However, if the person has done three years of cadets at high school or univeristy, you are exempted from having to serve two years. If the person goes on to higer education, then they can defer the date that they have to report, until after they graduate.

If you report for conscription after your 30th birthday (assuming you haven't been a draft dodger in the mean time) you are effectively exempted.

The child born to a foreign father has the choice of renouncing their citizenship between the ages of 20 and 21. Note though, it is an option only. If they do not make a choice, there is no penalty and they can continue on with their dual nationaity, as I have.

As for the military service, the answer is yes. All Thai men are liable to report for conscription. The number of conscripted per year is the difference between the number of men needed from each district and the number who have volunteered. If the quota is filled by volunteers, then none are conscripted in that year.

However, if the person has done three years of cadets at high school or univeristy, you are exempted from having to serve two years. If the person goes on to higer education, then they can defer the date that they have to report, until after they graduate.

If you report for conscription after your 30th birthday (assuming you haven't been a draft dodger in the mean time) you are effectively exempted.

And living abroad is accepted as a valid reason for not reporting. So it's only an issue if they'll be living in Thailand in their 20s.

A word of caution please!

First of all your have the American nationality.

Before people get the impression that OTHER than Americans have the same privaliges as you have a word of causion.

Dual nationality is been discouriaged as from 2003-4 almost all over the world.

Laws have been intergrated with oneanother.

1 of the reasons is (personal opinion!) anti-terror control,and protection of culture.

Now as far as Non Americans concerned the dual Nationality will be a burden on children and parent in the future.

example 1.

Lao-farang

see nationality act 2004 (not 1990!!!!)

Dutch-farang

see nationality act (naturalisatie wetgeving since 1-april 2003

etc etc etc

This is what could happen.

in case nr 1.

Lao law prohibits dual nationality

Except when a child is born outside lao and 1 of the parants is of lao nationality and has a longtime houseregistration in Laos.

Only then its allowd too give the (lawful) lao national a foreign passport.

But since Laos doesnt issue passports under the age of 18 the children who are regarded lao national assuming they do NOT leave the country on/in the parent her/his passport hold on to their (silent ) lao nationality and 18 up!!!!!! they can apply for a DUAL nationality in other words Lao nationality.

Now what will happen to (all) those children of are traveling in and out of Laos on their parants passport when they secretly having a forbidden Dual nationality.

See as soon as one leaves the country with the child whom they reported as lao children(usualy as Lao father unknown)and Thus activates the lao nationality who can tell me what will happen if they start using their hidden nationality

I suggest you read the lao nationality act.

outride dangerous for mother and child.

Then 2

I know a Dutch couple

man born and reased in Netherlands

and women having Thai AND Dutch nationality.

Ok

this is reality

She the Thai national came in Thailand on her ??????? Dutch passport soo she needs no visa

She travels on her Dutch passport........She lives her on her Thai nationality, as soon as she wiil travel on her Thai passport she looses her Dutch nationality.(dutch immigration law)

ok

confusion?

wait a minute ///

we are "educated people.....but what about all these country girls/women etc do they know???

what will they do in the administrive jungle?

think twice

hgma

Has anything changed? I have three children that are born in Thailand of a Thai Mother and are in the family House book. They go to private school here and enjoy all benefits of being Thai. They also hold U.S. Passports and obviously the citizenship of both nations.

Now I am getting this story for the local drinking hole, that at age eighteen my children must deceide which citizenship they want and that they will have to loose the other one.

I have been through the Constitituion, the Thai Nationality Act and numerous outher sites and can find nothing of substance.

I know that the U.S. recognizes both citizenships and will not act to revoke unless that particlular citizenship is used to defraud or break federal criminal laws.

Could someone please shed some light on this with some reference to official things that can be downloaded or obtained through the web?

Moderators please remove from http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...c=11356&hl= as I placed it there by accident.

And living abroad is accepted as a valid reason for not reporting. So it's only an issue if they'll be living in Thailand in their 20s.

If they are born abroad and then living abroad, they probably won't be on the house registration (tabieen baan). Not being on the tabieen baan means no call up letter is sent. A loophole, but as far as I can see, not illegal as you technically are supposed to be living where your tabieen baan is.

If you were born in Thailand, then move away, then you should ask to be removed (again techncially) from the tabieen baan.

If you do get called up while overseas, you are supposed to send a poxy - if you can. If you can't, then there seems to be no penalty.

The use of the proxy becomes impossible after one turns 30 however. In which case, if you do turn up, and are conscripted, you are automatically relased for being to old.

• 4 months later...

This is how I initially understood the law from reading the English summary of the Thai nationality act as can be seen from here.

However, when I tried to prove my point to another Thai girl but finding the detailed Thai version of the nationality act, now I'm not so sure. Please see # 21 (มาตรา 21) of the page detailing the cases where one can lose Thai nationality.

Perhaps my Thai interpretation is off for the moment, but according to this detail, Someone who has the right of 'another' nationality through their father, and receives any document giving them 'identity' of another country, will simply lose their Thai nationality. This is a shock as I have only seen this with my own eyes just now despite being through the actual system in and out with no threat of losing either nationality! So please find errors in my interpretation and lack of context or something other missing in this detailed Thai law as last updated by his majesty 15 years ago to ease my mind.

:o