Village offering free electrical safety checks and Safe-T-Cut devices to older houses :)

Crossy

Puyai-baan was on the speakers earlier saying that the older houses in the village are entitled to free electrical safety checks and Safe-T-Cut devices.

He does seem to spend government money wisely ????

• Thumbs Up 2

We live on the border of Samut Prakan/ Bangkok. On the SP side the roads have been resurfaced, good lights and new drains put in, no flooding. Go over the bridge into Bkk and it's pot holes, floods and no lights, you would think it was up country. Some local officials are good, some just seem to to never have any funds, for some reason!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

Puyai-baan was on the speakers earlier saying that the older houses in the village are entitled to free electrical safety checks and Safe-T-Cut devices.

He does seem to spend government money wisely ????

Did they find already someone who is qualified to do those checks?

• Like 1

Free inspections was the sales technique used 45 years ago, and is till being used by others, so good have public figure announce first - suspect inspectors would make more than a few of us uneasy.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Im not aware of any electrician certification in Thailand.  Are there any specefic colleges? Or is it literally relying on anyone to apply any guess work? 

It is a bit nuts in this era rcbo is not compulsory for a country that has a lot of older buildings without earthed chassis protection. Hats off to the chap organising the free rcbo. He is a life saver. 

11 minutes ago, TimeMachine said:

Im not aware of any electrician certification in Thailand.  Are there any specefic colleges? Or is it literally relying on anyone to apply any guess work? 

It is a bit nuts in this era rcbo is not compulsory for a country that has a lot of older buildings without earthed chassis protection. Hats off to the chap organising the free rcbo. He is a life saver. 

RCD / RCBO protection has been compulsory on new installations for at least 15 years.

Get your certified sparks here: -

I even know a couple of chaps who have the paperwork, they're not doing domestic for a few Baht, they are on the mega-projects and O&G and earning $$$.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

I even know a couple of chaps who have the paperwork, they're not doing domestic for a few Baht, they are on the mega-projects and O&G and earning $$$.

I worked with one electrician company in Bangkok, mostly for network cabling. They also do electrical installations. Great quality, and they charge a lot more than most of us would expect in Thailand. Because they do a lot better work than most of us would expect here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

RCD / RCBO protection has been compulsory on new installations for at least 15 years.

Get your certified sparks here: -

Cool.  I guess there are the laws and regulations tried to be set in place then everyone ignores them..

Are there electrical safety inspectors fining people? 

New building ,  sure.  Easily done. What about for old buildings. They continue to be very dangerous. No earth makes it  a certain big zap if short to chassis occurs.  In Australia even with earthing the government has introduced the need for rcbo if you rent out your property. I guess their thought process is if you kill yourself ok but dont kill others. Which is odd because they dont allow euthenasia.   Im ignoring that law.  Haha.  At 75 Im frying myself. 

• Like 1

Once you have your permanent supply which needs an "inspection" by MEA or PEA there's no further inspection needed, ever (unless you are going for a legal grid-tie solar system).

So, no notifiable work, nothing.

So long as you don't blow up the meter or start a fire (crypto miners seem to be the favourite cause of conflagration these days) nobody cares.

Sad to say barely a month goes by without an article where a youngster, teen, granny or just ordinary person has been zapped by something innocent like a water-cooler, ATM or even a fence.

For flips sake, there are even hotels that still have mains-powered pool lights!!