BYD Atto 3 Owner reviews

28 minutes ago, BKKBike09 said:

That study is three years old - that's relevant because that means all the EVs included were using the older Lithium Ion (LI) battery tech. The newer Lithium Iron Phosphate batteries (LFP - a la BYD) have various advantages over the older tech, one of the key ones being that you can leave an LFP plugged in to charge up to 100% (ie leave it plugged in at night and go to bed) with no battery degradation. Also, LFP batteries will take many more charge/discharge cycles before degrading.

So the old LI will be by your statement unsellable. And any one that got one is on a big loser cash wise. You maybe correct about LKP but they will still Degrade over time.

As of yet there is no one that can inform me of the resale price of an EV once it gets old and out of warrantee. Or disprove that my assumption that they are not worth even thinking about yet. Maybe in several years they will be fine to buy but that's a big MAYBE.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, fredob43 said:

So the old LI will be by your statement unsellable. And any one that got one is on a big loser cash wise. You maybe correct about LKP but they will still Degrade over time.

As of yet there is no one that can inform me of the resale price of an EV once it gets old and out of warrantee. Or disprove that my assumption that they are not worth even thinking about yet. Maybe in several years they will be fine to buy but that's a big MAYBE.

I don't think anyone can give you an idea of the resale value of any vehicle once its out of warrantee as there is so many variables that you need to take into account before stating a potential resale value.

If you are interested in EV take a look at the USA or European Market Nissan leaf have been on sale there since 2011 and I see Nissan leaf cars 2012 being sold on Auto Trader

Nissan a few years ago did give owners the option to upgrade their battery packs if they wanted extra range or more power

• Like 1

5 hours ago, fredob43 said:

As of yet there is no one that can inform me of the resale price of an EV once it gets old and out of warrantee.

Try selling a 10-year old diesel car in UK these days and not taking a big hit.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, BKKBike09 said:

Try selling a 10-year old diesel car in UK these days and not taking a big hit.

My diesel pickup was 15 years old when I bought it for 150kbht, after owning it for 12 years I was offered 60kbht for it, not that bad a loss IMHO. Still driving it.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, fredob43 said:

Sorry but I have to disagree with the above statement. I haven't seen one EV owner that has taken into account how much their EV would be worth in say 5 + years.

Now lets look at reality. You buy a EV car that all will agree will take at least 5 years to break even, due to the extra cost you pay in the first place. As we all know the batteries lose some of the power range every year so lets say they will be down to say 80% of their original power in 5 years than they started with. 

Now say to yourself would you buy a used 5 year old EV??? Then work out how much you could get back for your second hand one. Whatever way you look at it your on a loser.

The only way an EV is any good to anyone is if you have free charging Solar cell or the likes, don't ever go on long runs, use it as a second car, or keep it till it dies then dump it.

Please Buddha you don't have a duff battery in the thing or it'll cost more to sort out than the EV cost in the first place. 

Sorry if you EV drivers don't like my post but by using logic tells me I'm not far off.

Toyota Prius since 1999..............using logic:cheesy:

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

@fredob43

LFP will be knocking on 1M kms before down to 80% capacity

LFP Battery cycle.png

Note the: maintain up to 80% for 2,500 cycles.

In plain English that means that none exceeded 80% but many were less.

Unless they publish the percentage the worst they tested achieved, it's meaningless.

43 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Note the: maintain up to 80% for 2,500 cycles.

In plain English that means that none exceeded 80% but many were less.

Unless they publish the percentage the worst they tested achieved, it's meaningless.

I know a few things, our EV will be the last car we by, as expect it to outlast us, and the wife is 20 yrs my junior.

It's the best performing and one of the best riding cars I've owned, and the best car that I've owned in TH.  Those being Vios, Mazda2 & ICE version of our MG ZS.

IF I continue, as the last 20+ yrs, and rack up about 20k kms per year, I'm saving ฿53k+ by not buying petrol, plus 2 oil changes, and full tune up, about every other year.  And avoid going to the petrol station about 40 times a year.

Just the 53k+ a year petrol savings over 8yr battery warranty, and we're 400k+ ahead vs owning the ICE version... YEA, just petrol savings.

If I had to pay for electric, I'd still be saving ฿41k+ a year or ฿330k+ over the warranty period of the battery, and still have 70-80% capacity at the 8 yr mark.

Still waiting for someone to point out the negatives.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Love It 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, BKKBike09 said:

That study is three years old - that's relevant because that means all the EVs included were using the older Lithium Ion (LI) battery tech. The newer Lithium Iron Phosphate batteries (LFP - a la BYD) have various advantages over the older tech, one of the key ones being that you can leave an LFP plugged in to charge up to 100% (ie leave it plugged in at night and go to bed) with no battery degradation. Also, LFP batteries will take many more charge/discharge cycles before degrading.

Maybe it would be more helpful if you could provide a link to a more updated study...???

• Confused 1

21 hours ago, leclec said:

IMHO, not everyone cares about resale values, be it a car or other consumables etc eletronics/watch/camera.

Some of us buy things that we actually like and enjoy rather than think about resale value years later, it just defeats the joy of owning something you like.

Just get a car within your means that suits your needs, ICE or EV. 

FYI I'm an EV owner. Shortlisted the BYD but didn't like the "Build Your Dreams" emblem behind the car and chose the Mazda MX-30 instead which suited what I want out of my car.

Excellent post, hits the nail right on the head. Except for that part about the MX-30. Isn’t this the worst EV ever? That’s my impression from multiple reviews.

On another note, how difficult is it to remove car emblems. Looking on YouTube, all one needs is a heat gun or hair dryer and a piece of fishing line.

• Thumbs Up 1

Driving a car built on dreams does not inspire me. I would prefer one built on solid science.

Also who came up 'Dolphin' for a car model name? How on earth does this attract buyers? If they cannot get the names to convince, I am concerned about what the build is like?

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, Digitalbanana said:

Driving a car built on dreams does not inspire me. I would prefer one built on solid science.

Also who came up 'Dolphin' for a car model name? How on earth does this attract buyers? If they cannot get the names to convince, I am concerned about what the build is like?

You buy your auto based on the name of ... ????

... who doesn't like Dolphins ?

• Haha 1