Magazine ranks Thailand 9th best retirement spot on Earth

snoop1130

image.thumb.png.42f290d1dc2a7d7662b03996705e9687.png

Looks like some dodgy magazine that runs conferences and scams the attendees. 

https://infolific.com/money-management/retirement/international-living-review/

The comments in the thread below the article makes AN look tame. Subscriptions that cannot be cancelled, FREE seminars that force you pay at the end, biased articles and sales promotion of way over priced services.

No wonder Thailand came in their top ten. Sounds like a match made in heaven.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Muzzique said:

image.thumb.png.42f290d1dc2a7d7662b03996705e9687.png

Looks like some dodgy magazine that runs conferences and scams the attendees. 

https://infolific.com/money-management/retirement/international-living-review/

The comments in the thread below the article makes AN look tame. Subscriptions that cannot be cancelled, FREE seminars that force you pay at the end, biased articles and sales promotion of way over priced services.

No wonder Thailand came in their top ten. Sounds like a match made in heaven.

Yes they're a profit seeking company. 

The way I see it is that retirement abroad media which has become massive on youtube should be seen as a way to get ideas.

You can actually save a lot money this way.

Hear about a new destination?

Research it online first and then if you're still interested do the needed step of boots on the ground research.

For example don't waste your time and money with a destination you don't visa qualify for!

Edited by Jingthing

20 minutes ago, Dont confuse me said:

I've lived in Portugal, Spain, USA and Thailand therefore I'm unable to give an opinion on the other countries. 

But I can say that for me and my Thai wife and 15 yr daughter we prefer Spain.

There is a large Thai community and I don't know one of them who wants to return to Thailand other than a holiday.

I suggest this gives a clearer picture of Thailands ranking.

International Living's main focus is Americans and Canadians retiring abroad. That's a specific kind of expat.

15 hours ago, blazes said:

Kind of depends WHERE you live in a particular country.

In Thailand:

Chiang Mai: 4 months of cancerous smog.

Bangkok:  immobile traffic.

Phuket:  ruinous prices for everything that a falang needs or wants.

Hua Hin:  Crossing the road is bad for your health.

Pattaya:  Lo-so.

Find a nice quiet village in Issan....but then you are bored pretty well to death in less than a week.

So, maybe not retire, but just visit for six months or so of every year...

That’s what I do , 5 months maximum and even then I go to Bangkok for Christmas, and have never wanted to stay for Songkran . I also do another trip somewhere, otherwise  I get bored . 

Everyone has différent tastes and needs, more or less money, bought your home or not. I’d think that those who have invested ,probably would stay permanently. 
Those who rent like myself , have much more freedom to move around, in Thailand or not. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dont confuse me said:

I've lived in Portugal, Spain, USA and Thailand therefore I'm unable to give an opinion on the other countries. 

But I can say that for me and my Thai wife and 15 yr daughter we prefer Spain.

There is a large Thai community and I don't know one of them who wants to return to Thailand other than a holiday.

I suggest this gives a clearer picture of Thailands ranking.

You are right I don't live in Spain I live in Australia not 1 Thai wants to go back to Thailand 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dont confuse me said:

I don't know one of them who wants to return to Thailand other than a holiday.

My Thai wife of 14 years (lived in the US for 13 years) feels the same way. She sees LOS for what it is and preferred to visit family every other year. Lately, she has become more travel savvy and would rather avoid Thailand all together if she could.  We just got back from France, the whole family loved the vacation, and she could see herself living there esp. near the southern coast. Prices are not that bad and everything from transportation to shopping are very convenient. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BayArea said:

My Thai wife of 14 years (lived in the US for 13 years) feels the same way. She sees LOS for what it is and preferred to visit family every other year. Lately, she has become more travel savvy and would rather avoid Thailand all together if she could.  We just got back from France, the whole family loved the vacation, and she could see herself living there esp. near the southern coast. Prices are not that bad and everything from transportation to shopping are very convenient. 

Absolutely correct my Thai wife of about 20 years don't want to go back either 

• Like 1

We're out & about now, and I'm actually getting a deeper appreciation for TH.  Up N of Krung Thep and lovely countryside, though I wouldn't bother being here if not rainy season.

Only lived in 2 countries, so don't have much to compare to, but think TH rates higher than many, depending on one's circumstances and why they actually came here.

Visited many, and can't say there's too many I'd want to live in.  Could leave tomorrow if wanted to, but can't think of a place I'd prefer to go to.  Quite happy here.  Enjoy the positives, ignore the negative, and accept both for what they are.

Value for smile factor is pretty hard to be for myself.  YMMV

On 7/17/2023 at 7:59 PM, KanchanaburiGuy said:

WE'RE NUMBER NINE!

WE'RE NUMBER NINE!

Nah, just doesn't sound right when you chant it.

----------------

----------------

I always got a kick out of restaurants proudly displaying a plaque from their local Camber of Commerce or newspaper, saying "Best Mexican Restaurant of 2019!" -- Reader's Poll.

I always wanted to say to them, "That's great mate, but who's the best THIS YEAR? Where are THEY?"

(HINT: Any "Best Of" plaque that's older than last year......... take it down! That sad, solitary 2015 "Best Of" plaque just reminds me that you HAVEN'T won it in the last 8 years! ????)

-----------------

-----------------

WE'RE NUMBER NINE!

WE'RE NUMBER NINE!

----------------

----------------

Nope, still not doing it for me!

Lol

9 very auspicious number, Thais will be quite happy that they are #9. What do you think you rank, in anything? #3 mopey doomer perhaps? Just throwing stuff out there

2 hours ago, BayArea said:

see ya, dont choke on a baguette

2 hours ago, kuma said:

see ya, dont choke on a baguette

Oh look, we have a well thought out response from such an astute poster. 

I must have hit a nerve, huh? 

stay in your lane and keep the smart ass replies to yourself.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, off road pat said:

Exactly,...heard the same thing over and over again,...and saw it at a friend's luxury place...

And Mexico... Costa Rica... and other countries have changed their laws about foreign ownership of property as well... They just take land previously purchased by foreigners with no compensation and say "too bad, if you don't like it leave"  SO WHAT'S YOUR POINT?

9 hours ago, kuma said:

9 very auspicious number, Thais will be quite happy that they are #9. What do you think you rank, in anything? #3 mopey doomer perhaps? Just throwing stuff out there

Hey, I'll have you know I was the #1 Chess player in the fictional world I created.

I defeated the AI Chess Champion by pushing a my black pawn to the eighth rank. Upon achieving the eighth rank, I was allowed to choose a piece to put on the board.

The piece I chose was a second White King. (After all, I've never seen a rule that says I ~CAN'T~ choose to place one of my opponents pieces on the board, when my pawn reaches the eighth rank!)

The two King's got into a power struggle and my opponent's defenses broke down. I then sat back until one King killed the other, and I swooped in for the checkmate!

Thus, I became the #1 Chess Player on my fictional planet, Sun Tzu!

So, don't even think about underestimating me again, if, you know, thinking ever becomes your thing.

Cheers!

• Haha 1

On 7/17/2023 at 6:43 PM, bignok said:

"After living in Chiang Mai, a large city in the north of Thailand, my life could not be better. Over the last seven years, I have not been bored, not even for a minute."

Must like temples more than me. I was getting bored after 2 weeks and I like temples.

CM is fine between June and December - 7 months; the other 5 months is totally unacceptable - 

18 hours ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

And Mexico... Costa Rica... and other countries have changed their laws about foreign ownership of property as well... They just take land previously purchased by foreigners with no compensation and say "too bad, if you don't like it leave"  SO WHAT'S YOUR POINT?

I don't know about Costa Rica but I don't think Mexican law has much changed about foreign ownership. Foreigners can own all over the country exactly the same as Mexicans EXCEPT within set distance to the ocean and also borders. For the exceptions, yes legal games need to be played and I suppose those arrangements are more risky. 

On 7/18/2023 at 12:16 PM, still kicking said:

haha, how's your anti thailand bashing campaign going because you're holding a grudge?

why did you change your avatar? you quit drinking? haha

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, save the frogs said:

haha, how's your anti thailand bashing campaign going because you're holding a grudge?

why did you change your avatar? you quit drinking? haha

I never drank a lot, my avatar was removed by the mods because it is illegal to display or advertise alcohol and I am not a Thailand basher I am married to a Thai almost 20 years it is time you get of your bar stool and stop drinking. before writing nonsense get informed on the laws in Thailand 

Edited by still kicking
  • Haha 2

On 7/19/2023 at 2:16 AM, still kicking said:

Only because of work and pensions. Most Thais eat Thai food mostly and speak basic English only. If they had money they would go back at least half the year.

8 minutes ago, bignok said:

Only because of work and pensions. Most Thais eat Thai food mostly and speak basic English only. If they had money they would go back at least half the year.

My wife goes back every 6 months to see her mum which is 80 now but she does not like to go back and live there she knows she has a good live where she lives and works for 20 years now and she does not cook real Thai food anymore forgot to mention she speaks perfect English 

Edited by still kicking
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, still kicking said:

My wife goes back every 6 months to see her mum which is 80 now but she does not like to go back and live there she knows she has a good live where she lives and works for 20 years now and she does not cook real Thai food anymore 

Thailand doesnt have much of a pension and work difficult without contacts. It is just economics.

Also Thailand is better for males. 

For horny males Thailand is great. If not horny much it's a bit boring.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bignok said:

Thailand doesnt have much of a pension and work difficult without contacts. It is just economics.

Also Thailand is better for males. 

For horny males Thailand is great. If not horny much it's a bit boring.

Agree with everything I am to old to be horny but I still go on holidays ones or twice a year to Thailand and yes, my wife makes good money being a nurse.