Over the counter stress/anxiety/sleeping meds?

cocoonclub

11 hours ago, Hummin said:

Anything about your lifestyle you could change? Diet, drinks, eat late, sleep pattern and exercise? 
Age relatet, racing thoughts?

Can’t think of anything. I don’t eat sugar and processed food. I’ve cut out pretty much all deep fried food unless I treat myself every once in a while. I limit red meat consumption to once a week or less and eat mainly chicken with salad and a moderate amount of carbs. I eat my last meal between 6-7pm. I drink only socially every once in a while. I don’t smoke or take drugs. I run three times a week and go for a walk on weekends. My BMI, cholesterol, blood sugar etc. is all fine. I got to sleep between 11-midnight now and get 7-8 hours sleep. 

I wake up during most nights at the same time 4am-ish) and start worrying. This started the beginning of the year due to burnout at work and was aggravated by a breakup. I have lots of mental stress and anxiety during most days, mainly future worries about whether this is still the right place for me or whether I should move back to friends and family. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/19/2023 at 7:29 PM, Sheryl said:

Melatonin (get online from Shoppee, Lazada or iHerb). Personally I need 5 - 10 mg but everyone is different. Stick to known brands like Puritan Pride, Natrol, Nature's Bounty.

Recently, I've not seen it on Shoppe and Lazada. 

I'm nearly finished my jar and panicking, maybe it is addictive?

Actually, I tried not taking it one night and couldn't sleep for 3 hours pas the normal time. 

45 minutes ago, cocoonclub said:

Can’t think of anything. I don’t eat sugar and processed food. I’ve cut out pretty much all deep fried food unless I treat myself every once in a while. I limit red meat consumption to once a week or less and eat mainly chicken with salad and a moderate amount of carbs. I eat my last meal between 6-7pm. I drink only socially every once in a while. I don’t smoke or take drugs. I run three times a week and go for a walk on weekends. My BMI, cholesterol, blood sugar etc. is all fine. I got to sleep between 11-midnight now and get 7-8 hours sleep. 

I wake up during most nights at the same time 4am-ish) and start worrying. This started the beginning of the year due to burnout at work and was aggravated by a breakup. I have lots of mental stress and anxiety during most days, mainly future worries about whether this is still the right place for me or whether I should move back to friends and family. 

How many hours do you sleep? 

42 minutes ago, Hummin said:

How many hours do you sleep? 

6-8 hrs, probably 7 hrs on average. Unless I have a really bad night where I can’t fall asleep due to worries. Then it’s maybe 5-6 hrs in total. 

Edited by cocoonclub

1 hour ago, Neeranam said:

Recently, I've not seen it on Shoppe and Lazada. 

I'm nearly finished my jar and panicking, maybe it is addictive?

Actually, I tried not taking it one night and couldn't sleep for 3 hours pas the normal time. 

I’ve ordered some over Grab. There seem to be plenty of pharmacies who stocked up from iHerb or other sources and are now reselling. Probably more expensive than Lazada or iHerb directly, but you get it within an hour delivered by a motorcycle guy. 

22 minutes ago, cocoonclub said:

I’ve ordered some over Grab. There seem to be plenty of pharmacies who stocked up from iHerb or other sources and are now reselling. Probably more expensive than Lazada or iHerb directly, but you get it within an hour delivered by a motorcycle guy. 

Ah, thanks

23 minutes ago, cocoonclub said:

6-8 hrs, probably 7 hrs on average. Unless I have a really bad night where I can’t fall asleep due to worries. Then it’s maybe 5-6 hrs in total. 

At least you get enough hours of sleep, but still, stress is toxic, and negative stress can lead to anxiety and depression. 

Often temporary but it could be a good investment in talking to some professional. Sleeping aid do nothing for the cause of it, and also might delay your struggle with anxiety.

If your work is challenging, then it can help to put more focus and prepare more for what you find challenging. 

Anyway, a professional can help you to understand simple things, tick some boxes, and give you some tools.

Often it just helps to talk about it, and often the start of healing.

• Like 1

Certain cannabis strains can work fairly well but we are not at the stage yet where enough doctors or pharmacies have the experience and knowledge to prescribe the right ones yet.

I've had some success with CBD oils though over priced and some of my home grown also seems to help with anxiety, pain relief and sleeping well.

Just be careful though as different strains have different strengths and impacts and some whilst they may reduce anxiety they might also get you up dancing when you want to be sleeping.

The maturity level of the market means you likely have to self experiment a bit till you find a good match for you and your needs. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, cocoonclub said:

wake up during most nights at the same time 4am-ish) and start worrying. This started the beginning of the year due to burnout at work and was aggravated by a breakup. I have lots of mental stress and anxiety during most days, mainly future worries about whether this is still the right place for me or whether I should move back to friends and family. 

Obviously you need to sort out your worries to get peace of mind

• Like 1

On 7/21/2023 at 1:35 AM, Confuscious said:

In 2018, my daughter was kidnapped while I was having a heavy surgery.

When I am at home, I still hear my daughter talking to me or hear noises in her room.

That's why I spend most of the day away from home.

Somehow, when I go on a holiday somewhere, it's easier to forget about the past.

my sincerest sympathy - this would be my greatest fear in life - I can't even watch movies where this is the subject... I assume there is no resolution but I hope and hope that one day you will have answers and your daughter back... 

• 3 weeks later...

Over-the-counter supplements like melatonin could be worth a try. It's a natural hormone that helps regulate sleep cycles. For me, herbal teas with chamomile or valerian root help to relax before bedtime. Breathing exercises, meditation, and light stretching can be great stress reducers too.

Valerian root has been a go-to for some peeps I know for sleep. L-theanine and chamomile are also pretty chill for stress. Passionflower and lemon balm have also got some buzz around for calming nerves. 

Regarding stress, I managed to control it through some individual therapies at this holistic psychiatry in NYC. We dove deep into my work stressors and explored techniques to handle them. They recommended a blend of meditation, breathing exercises, and even certain teas. It's more about finding what works for your body and mind than just pills.