Over the counter stress/anxiety/sleeping meds?

cocoonclub

I always slept well, when tired lay down , close my eyes and after a short time fall asleep. Simple right?

The last year it seems I forgot how to fall asleep , and,  stay asleep. I would wake up 3 am go to the bathroom and then not being able to fall asleep until 6 am . I have a book next to my bed to read while awake at night,

I started taking Magnesium at night, B1 complex in the morning , (The B1 reduces urination frequency but take about a month before having any effect,) 

and about 30 minutes before sleep I take 5mg Melatonin and 50 mg Diphenhydramine (benadryl  )  . I now sleep like a baby 8-9 hours and feel great. 

Edited by sirineou

I also recommend Melatonin. 

When you try it just start with a small amount to begin with. For me, just 0.5mg is enough to knock me out. If I take more than 2 mg, I get muscle twitching on my lips and I am unable to sleep. Be careful.

But the best thing to do is to not medicate and instead use the classic tools of life: exercise until exhaustion and wander around in nature. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5HTP is definitely a supplement worth trying. Inexpensive, non-addictive and it is effective to boost your mood and help you sleep. 100 mg before bed works really well.

The specific product I use is NOW Foods 5HTP 100 mg capsules. You can get it on iHerb.

19 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Melatonin (get online from Shoppee, Lazada or iHerb). Personally I need 5 - 10 mg but everyone is different. Stick to known brands like Puritan Pride, Natrol, Nature's Bounty.

Sominar (doxylamine) 25 mg or hydroxyzine  25 mg can both be bought  over the counter. They are actually antihistamines but have a sedative effect and often used for sleep especially the Sominar.  Action tends to be prolonged so take only when you have plenty of time to sleep. Some people feel groggy next day. 

Sheryl, would the Melatonin you recommend be for a sleep aid, anxiety or both?

4 hours ago, Will27 said:

Sheryl, would the Melatonin you recommend be for a sleep aid, anxiety or both?

I've been taking the Natrol version for almost 2 years now. Skeptical until I tried it. 10mg for me, sometimes take 2 for 20mg. Relaxed sleep, less waking, great dreams that I remember better.

• Like 1

On 7/19/2023 at 7:29 PM, Sheryl said:

Melatonin (get online from Shoppee, Lazada or iHerb). Personally I need 5 - 10 mg but everyone is different. Stick to known brands like Puritan Pride, Natrol, Nature's Bounty.

Sominar (doxylamine) 25 mg or hydroxyzine  25 mg can both be bought  over the counter. They are actually antihistamines but have a sedative effect and often used for sleep especially the Sominar.  Action tends to be prolonged so take only when you have plenty of time to sleep. Some people feel groggy next day. 

Strange.

At home, I can not fall asleep.
Turning and turning until 3AM and then I fall asleep.
But I wake up 2 or 3 hours later to go to the bathroom and when I return from the bathroom it's the same story again.

But when I go to Pattaya, Jomtien, or some place for a short holiday, I fall asleep like a block when I go to bed.
Even while the sound of the discobars is bouncing on the walls.

Before 2018, I had no problem sleeping.
But after 2018, the house seems to by haunted.

32 minutes ago, Confuscious said:

You might sleep better if you use a white noise appliance. Huge numbers available from literal mechanical fans to noises of nature soundboxes.

Or you could try ASMR, such as the "French Whisperer" on YouTube. He has 4 hour audios about everything from the history of ancient Egypt to the myths of India. They knock me out within 3 minutes. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

The type of medications used depends on the individual’s level of stress and and anxiety.  So if you are somewhat stressed something over the counter can possibly help. Like melatonin.  I don’t think you should just try pharmaceutical type drugs on your own for this type of issue. 
But of course if your stress and anxiety is very high.  Especially if you have trouble sleeping.  Of course see the appropriate medical professional. 
I suggest you take Sheryl’s advice.  She appears to have professional type of medical knowledge.  

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Confuscious said:

Strange.

At home, I can not fall asleep.
Turning and turning until 3AM and then I fall asleep.
But I wake up 2 or 3 hours later to go to the bathroom and when I return from the bathroom it's the same story again.

But when I go to Pattaya, Jomtien, or some place for a short holiday, I fall asleep like a block when I go to bed.

Before 2018, I had no problem sleeping.
But after 2018, the house seems to by haunted.

This sounds like it could be one of two things: stress or mould (or other environmental factors).

That you sleep better when on holiday than at home could well be due to stress. Travel makes you happier, less stressed and you sleep better. This is common and it can also show in other ways such as lousy digestion when at home / going about your regular life and much improved digestion when on holiday.

The other possibility - less likely, but still possible - is mould. Living in a mouldy environment can see the mould essentially get inside us and cause all sorts of problems, some neurological - and this can cause sleep problems and insomina. Less likely, but certainly possible.

if it's stress-related, you need to look at ways to lower / manage your stress. If mould-related, you need to remedy the mould situation and / or leave the place with the mould permanently.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, mstevens said:

This sounds like it could be one of two things: stress or mould (or other environmental factors).

That you sleep better when on holiday than at home could well be due to stress. Travel makes you happier, less stressed and you sleep better. This is common and it can also show in other ways such as lousy digestion when at home / going about your regular life and much improved digestion when on holiday.

The other possibility - less likely, but still possible - is mould. Living in a mouldy environment can see the mould essentially get inside us and cause all sorts of problems, some neurological - and this can cause sleep problems and insomina. Less likely, but certainly possible.

if it's stress-related, you need to look at ways to lower / manage your stress. If mould-related, you need to remedy the mould situation and / or leave the place with the mould permanently.

In 2018, my daughter was kidnapped while I was having a heavy surgery.

When I am at home, I still hear my daughter talking to me or hear noises in her room.

That's why I spend most of the day away from home.

Somehow, when I go on a holiday somewhere, it's easier to forget about the past.

4 minutes ago, Confuscious said:

When I am at home, I still hear my daughter talking to me or hear noises in her room.

Somehow, when I go on a holiday somewhere, it's easier to forget about the past.

That's a truly awful thing to have experienced. I am sure you have already given it some thought but maybe consider moving away from a place with which you have such bad memories to a new place where you can create new, positive memories? If we experience something truly terrible as you have, or simply have a long period of bad experiences, sometimes moving to a new place can help us to leave things in the past and move on.

Magnesium and GABA worked great for my sleeping, and I'd recommend that. Some interesting suggestions in the thread that I haven't tried already. I do have issues of waking up and feeling the urge to pee although volume is insignificant. And unfortunately gotten worse last 1-2 years; so I'm planning to do a checkup with the prostate later this year. Fingers crossed. Late 30's. 

10 hours ago, Confuscious said:

That was horribly stressful for you. I am not a professional but I would need professional help if this happened to my family. Best wishes for you and hope you can find some peace. ????

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/19/2023 at 7:29 PM, Sheryl said:

Thanks for that recco Sheryl, i've just ordered Natrol 5mg from Lazada, 935bht for 100 tabs inc delivery, here's hoping it will do the job.

On 7/22/2023 at 6:14 AM, Pumpuynarak said:

Thanks for that recco Sheryl, i've just ordered Natrol 5mg from Lazada, 935bht for 100 tabs inc delivery, here's hoping it will do the job.

Well i received the tabs and have been taking for the last 2 nights approx 20 mins prior to getting me head down. Now prior to taking the tabs my sleeping routine was get me head down between 10.30pm and 11pm and then i would sleep no probs but only for between 3-4 hours.

I have to say that taking these tabs does'nt do anything to extend my sleeping time so i'm thinking should i just take 1 tab when i wake up after the usual 3-4 hours or should i take one 5mg tab before sleeping AND another 1 tab when i wake up or just take 10mg when i wake up.

What do you think @sheryl111080 ? Your advice  would be appreciated along with any BM's, TIA

Edited by Pumpuynarak

No problem to take when you awaken as long as you still have another 4 hours or so to sleep.

5mg and 5 affan vs 10 in middle of the night, try both and see what works best. I'd start with 5 +5. 

• Thanks 1

On 7/25/2023 at 9:32 PM, Sheryl said:

5mg and 5 affan vs 10 in middle of the night, try both and see what works best. I'd start with 5 +5. 

Does this mean you taking 5mg when going to sleep and another 5mg when waking up during the night? 

7 hours ago, cocoonclub said:

Does this mean you taking 5mg when going to sleep and another 5mg when waking up during the night? 

Could try that, yes. Fast dissolve type is bette  for middle of the night (but not essential... regular will work just a bit slower onset).

On 7/25/2023 at 8:57 AM, Pumpuynarak said:

Well i received the tabs and have been taking for the last 2 nights approx 20 mins prior to getting me head down. Now prior to taking the tabs my sleeping routine was get me head down between 10.30pm and 11pm and then i would sleep no probs but only for between 3-4 hours.

I have to say that taking these tabs does'nt do anything to extend my sleeping time so i'm thinking should i just take 1 tab when i wake up after the usual 3-4 hours or should i take one 5mg tab before sleeping AND another 1 tab when i wake up or just take 10mg when i wake up.

What do you think @sheryl111080 ? Your advice  would be appreciated along with any BM's, TIA

On 7/25/2023 at 9:32 PM, Sheryl said:

No problem to take when you awaken as long as you still have another 4 hours or so to sleep.

Well i have to say i've been taking the tabs for approx 1 week in different time scales and the reality is i've not noticed ANY difference in my sleep duration. In fact one night i forgot to take the tabs and slept for 5 hours, my best night ever for over 3 years lol

• Haha 1